Old 07-30-2020, 07:50 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
wavily Hall , Georgia
Fair price for 2015 Interstate

I need a fair price for a 2015 Interstate. I am not looking to offer an insult price. All I know is that it has 4 captains chairs and 45,000 miles on it. The owner is asking $95,000. It seems from some of the information I have found that is too high, but I really don't want to low ball. I want to pay a realistic price. This is a private sale. No dealer involved.

St1853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:31 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
I have that same year AI but I have the Grand Tour with larger fridge and more storage space whereas the one you are looking at w/ four captains chairs would be the Lounge version.

The Lounge is best for day trips and more than two people. The GT is more for two people wanting to spend extended periods of time on the road. Both have the same rear section and bed making ability in the rear (although there is a Twin Bed version that is rare and would be a different configuration back there).

To answer your question, I think it is fairly priced especially if the tires have been replaced which is around $1300. This is assuming all maintenance of the Sprinter drivetrain is up to date with receipts in hand. In my opinion the Lounge version does not hold its value quite as much as the GT even though the original price is nearly identical. I also think the Lounge version changes hands more frequently as people sometimes find they don't need such an expensive luxury item that does not have as much utility for those wanting to travel for longer periods. I think a GT adds about $5k. And since RVs are in higher demand this year I think that adds about 10% based on what I've been seeing in ads and by word of mouth. Again, I think right now it is fairly priced for a private party transaction.

All my opinion, and I'm sure someone else will give you a different one.

Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:05 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Cross Posted on depreciation thread

As you may be aware, it's currently a sellers market so prices may be higher because of supply and demand.

A question I'd ask is how many upgrades does this 15 have?

If you've been a follower of this forum, you probably already know that many stock components from Airstream should be replaced. Minimally IMO
it should be the solar controller, BIM, additional solar and 6V batteries for more amp hours! W/o these upgrades you'll have the additional expense & time to have those installed.

Mileage on a diesel shouldn't be an issue as long as it's been properly maintained (check service records). The tires with 45k on them will probably need replacing soon.(age + mileage combined)

For comparison, if we were to list our 2015 ext lounge now, I'd start at @$95k!

In saying that, we have made several upgrades to it;
300 W Renogy solar panels with MPPT controller
200 W portable solar suitcase
New Michelin tires
224 amp hour 6 V batteries
Upgraded BIM - blue sea ACR 7622
Tire pressure monitoring system
Cell phone signal booster
3M cabin window tinting
Insulated curtain between cab and living area
Insulated quilted rear window blackout shades
Teak bath mat
Awning sun shade 12í x 6í
Propane gas grill
GZ 1400 lithium power station
Tire covers
Remote control maxxair fan
Slider door magnetic screen & Rear door bug screen

IMO, the 2015 is a good model to own. It has all of Mercedes safety features w/o the problematic Airstream power window shades and fusion entertainment system of newer models.

Happy Hunting!

Mark
Old 07-30-2020, 09:17 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Adding to Tronadora's comments about extended trips in a GT vs Lounge, we found that the 2nd row of captains chairs weren't very useful for the two of us so we removed them and added 17 cf of additional storage.

We also took the uncomfortable sofa bed out and installed electric articulating twin beds with mattresses.

My point being that you can make modifications to suit your needs.

IMO the downside to a GT model is the separate freezer which is a power hog!
Old 07-30-2020, 09:27 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
wavily Hall , Georgia
Thanks for the help. I really did not want the four chairs. I will be mostly alone in this vehicle since I am going to use it for travel for work. So you can take them out? That is good to know. So if that is a fair price, then I should probably ask for all the service records. One of my friends suggested that I take it to a service center and get the computer records for the service. I am not comfortable with this since the service center is about 100 miles away. I actually don't need to drive it. I mostly just want to know what has been done and what service is likely to come up next. Will the seller have that information and if they do give it to me, how do I know it is accurate. Can I take it to any Sprinter service person or do I need to go the 100 miles away?
Old 07-30-2020, 09:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by St1853 View Post
Thanks for the help. I really did not want the four chairs. I will be mostly alone in this vehicle since I am going to use it for travel for work. So you can take them out? That is good to know. So if that is a fair price, then I should probably ask for all the service records. One of my friends suggested that I take it to a service center and get the computer records for the service. I am not comfortable with this since the service center is about 100 miles away. I actually don't need to drive it. I mostly just want to know what has been done and what service is likely to come up next. Will the seller have that information and if they do give it to me, how do I know it is accurate. Can I take it to any Sprinter service person or do I need to go the 100 miles away?

For just you, and saying you'll be using it for work, the extra chairs should work better than the Grand Tour by giving you a more open work area. But on the topic of price, it is just absurdly high for a 5-year old motorhome. Yet, perhaps a sign of the times. Three years ago when I started shopping, I was seeing 2 & 3-year old Interstates for around $100K.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:01 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
wavily Hall , Georgia
So if the price is absurdly high, what is a fair price from a private seller? Seller says there is no warranty.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:24 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
escondido , California
Good advice from RigRat. It all comes down to the upgrades and how you will use the coach and if everything is well sorted out and operating with no funky modifications. If you are not DIY inclined and not able to do repairs and upgrades yourself then this is much more important than the initial purchase price. We have a 2016 GT that we paid $105k for in Dec 2017. We then modified all of the things mentioned above including adding more solar. and amp hours. If I were in the market to sell, I would start at about the same price. My coach is immaculate and all upgrades are well done. Best advice I can give is that you are really looking for the right owner who has taken care of the rig and has not let anything deteriorate. Yes, a high price but a bargain for a well sorted out rig and none of the hassles of a new one with a much higher tag.
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
So if the price is absurdly high, what is a fair price from a private seller? Seller says there is no warranty.
I didn't mean to discourage you, only to point out that the Seller's market I bought into 3 years ago has gone even more ballistic.

I felt the price of my 5-year old (at the time) Airstream Avenue was absurdly high, yet I purchased it anyway. So your reasonable question to me would be "Why did I buy it?" Because I wanted in and that was the price of entry. And it was a price (while steep) that I could afford.

I found no value in checking NADA and other sources. I watched and shopped for models I was interested in. When I found mine, it was $10K less than comparables and another plus was that it was only 200 miles away. I offered (sight unseen) 10% less than listed price. The owner's counter offer was right in the middle of my offer and list so I accepted.

For a brief period I regretted purchasing at the "top of the market" because I am generally patient and a bargain-hunter. Do I regret it now? Only that I didn't buy sooner. We got two solid years of travel in before Covid. We look forward to things getting back to some semblance of normal. My biggest regret will be if we aren't able to resume traveling due to Covid or unforeseen health issues.

So, if you can afford it and it checks out, you should buy it. But not without offering a bit less, just on principle.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
I need a fair price for a 2015 Interstate. I am not looking to offer an insult price. All I know is that it has 4 captains chairs and 45,000 miles on it. The owner is asking $95,000. It seems from some of the information I have found that is too high, but I really don't want to low ball. I want to pay a realistic price. This is a private sale. No dealer involved.
NADA guide says average retail price is just over $107,000, low retail about $89,000.

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2015/...6541607/Values
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:04 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
wavily Hall , Georgia
I just saw it. It looks wonderful. I just have a question. I noticed that it did not have the screen door at the entry door. Are these available to install after market. The video that I watched for a 2015 said that was included but it must have been left off of this model. Any ideas if it is possible?
Old 07-31-2020, 02:22 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Our 2015 AI does not have a screen door. We are considering purchasing this one from RB Components. Best wishes!

https://rbcomponents.com/products/passenger-side-sliding-door-bug-net
Blondie2015AI-Lounge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The specs from purchase for that rig should list whether a screen door on the slider was included, if the owner will make that available.

Might also find that online with the VIN#?

There have been a lot of problems with those screen doors, so it is possible it started with one that was later removed.

Maggie
Old 07-31-2020, 03:47 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Aftermarket screens are also available. I’ve got the RB components version that I like, but there are several options.
nateallen80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:18 PM   #15
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The pandemic has done interesting things to prices. I bought a left-over new 2018 GT 15 months ago. It has low miles because of the pandemic and a lot of my modifications. Clean as could be and kept under shelter since I bought it. KBB now prices it used at just about what I paid for it at the dealer.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:54 AM   #16
Site Team

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
The pandemic and its impact on the economy will likely continue to do interesting things to prices, especially this month.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:08 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
I just saw it. It looks wonderful. I just have a question. I noticed that it did not have the screen door at the entry door. Are these available to install after market. The video that I watched for a 2015 said that was included but it must have been left off of this model. Any ideas if it is possible?
Our 15 did not have a slider door screen from the factory. Have read several threads that say the early ones had issues with sticking and would jamb up if you forgot to close the screen before closing the outside slider door!

We have since added an after market magnetic closure one from ROLEF. There are several others but here's a link to ROLEF's.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:08 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Fair price. We looked at one around the same mileage for a few thousand less but that was before demand increased due to the COVID situation.

I made a screen door out of no-see-um screen and the smaller rectangle magnets. It attaches to the metal around the slider and the magnets automatically close when you go in and out. Itís not absolutely perfect, but works pretty well and is a lot quieter than the slider! Was disappointed not to have the slider at first but after making the screen, we donít really miss it much.

Good luck on your purchase!
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:45 PM   #19
Site Team

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
If you can wait a month, you may find that demand slacks off again and that more used units will hit the market. Stuff that's hot one month isn't necessarily as hot the next.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:35 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I too made a screen out of the kits that have magnets as the closer between sections. I use velcro to attach it to the sides of the doors. I bought a slider rail with hooks that hang from the rail and clip to the top of the screen.
https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Cu...717013&sr=8-41
I leave the top connected and slide the screen to the back and stuff if behind the seat that is next to the sliding door. It only takes a minute to install/store, costs little, and doesn't jam.

I also used small eyelets and installed a few of the leftover hooks at strategic places around the Interstate to hang towels to dry. Two above the stove for the dish towel. Two at each side at the back for our bath towels.

Titus is offline   Reply With Quote