Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Extra Ground Clearance - Advanced RV

For those that might want extra ground clearance on a 2WD chassis. Advanced RV is using all Mercedes parts to jack it up. Here's the YouTube video link.

They say 3.5" higher... is that how much higher the Airstream is on their AWD version?
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
For those that might want extra ground clearance on a 2WD chassis. Advanced RV is using all Mercedes parts to jack it up. Here's the YouTube video link.

They say 3.5" higher... is that how much higher the Airstream is on their AWD version?
TRONADORA - Per 2018 MB 4x4 specsheel - "Body lifted by 10 cm (3.9 in) at the front and 7.5 cm (3 in) at the rear"

I wouldn't mind lifting my 2wd AI but I also like to plus+ size the tires/wheels to Alcoa 19.5" .However, I don't think there's enough clearance to accommodate +3.5 wheels and tires (even if lowering profile of tires). Besides, the 19.5 is 8-lug vs. 6-lug for 16, and I hate wheel adapters, had issues with them before on pickups.

I watched the vid. I understand the owner's need for clearance. Yes, it saves 300-lbs and all that mention of chassis efficiency, effect on mileage, etc etc. But to go through all that work and not get 4WD is IMHO going ALL OUT on a build and stopping at 99%. Obviously if the guy can afford an ARV, he has the money to build whatever comes to mind. So why get all the MB 4WD lift parts and not have the drivetrain? It can't be about the money or fuel economy. Besides, even with all the confidence I have with ARV builds, I would rather get my 4x4, VB Air, and EPA Hydraulic levelers (if at all possible) straight from MB factory.

Then there's the unavoidable questions from interested or lookie-loo folks - "So how does your rig perform off road and snow?" So his answer could be "Ummm, it only looks like a $300,000 off roader but it isn't capable." This is a conversation I may be too embarrassed to have, especially if the one asking has a cheaper AI 4x4.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Alex - All good points. And thanks for providing the height info on AWD models.

I have to agree with you for the most part... but I can see the appeal of having some more clearance just for street use. My rig high centered on the macerator bracket (pretty sure it was not me.... don't ask...) and it cost me about $250 to fix the bent bracket that was causing a sagging hose assembly. There's also folks here on the forum talking about installing wheels instead of skids in the back due to low ground clearance issues.

Then there are the steep and tall transitions from parking lot to street that I saw in places like Canyon TX near Amarillo... a town that sees torrential downpours, where the street gutters are indeed canyons. Not even a 45 degree departure waltz would have saved me so I had to backup and exit somewhere else.

So I get it why some people would find the expense worthwhile and have no need for 4WD. Hopefully this guy spent a lot less than the full 4WD option. Not sure I would order up a 3.5" lift though... I think 1.5" or 2" would be just fine for us city folk. Although it sounds like if you want a full Mercedes parts solution, you don't get to customize (?).
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
Alex - All good points. And thanks for providing the height info on AWD models.

I have to agree with you for the most part... but I can see the appeal of having some more clearance just for street use. My rig high centered on the macerator bracket (pretty sure it was not me.... don't ask...) and it cost me about $250 to fix the bent bracket that was causing a sagging hose assembly. There's also folks here on the forum talking about installing wheels instead of skids in the back due to low ground clearance issues.

Then there are the steep and tall transitions from parking lot to street that I saw in places like Canyon TX near Amarillo... a town that sees torrential downpours, where the street gutters are indeed canyons. Not even a 45 degree departure waltz would have saved me so I had to backup and exit somewhere else.

So I get it why some people would find the expense worthwhile and have no need for 4WD. Hopefully this guy spent a lot less than the full 4WD option. Not sure I would order up a 3.5" lift though... I think 1.5" or 2" would be just fine for us city folk. Although it sounds like if you want a full Mercedes parts solution, you don't get to customize (?).
TRONADORA - Yeah, the guy did mention he is up in NM at 7,700 ft but never really told what the extra clearance need was for. I agree with your 1.5-2.0 lift. That is the reason why I thought of the taller rims. When I had my Ford Econoline van conversion 2 decades ago, the taller/wider BFG All Terrains lifted it in that 1.5-2.0 range. That would've been a better look for a 2WD unit. The VB Air helps lift rear for slow speed maneuvers in parking situations but it wont help at street speeds.

Yeah, would love to know how much that cost the customer. Me thinks being its ARV, it cost more than the $8,000 msrp to get 4x4 from factory
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote