Old 03-06-2017, 12:26 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Exterior LPG port

I bought a quick connect hose for the exterior LPG port and attached an old coleman camping stove to it, but could not get enough gas pressure to even get it to light.

Since it's a low pressure outlet, what kinds/brands of gas grill/stove works well in the AI's exterior port?

Thanks!
Rig Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B View Post
I bought a quick connect hose for the exterior LPG port and attached an old coleman camping stove to it, but could not get enough gas pressure to even get it to light.

Since it's a low pressure outlet, what kinds/brands of gas grill/stove works well in the AI's exterior port?

Thanks!
You need to find one with an on/off valve instead of a regulator or replace the regulator on your Coleman with an on/off valve.
c21bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
You might want to check out this other thread, and the various threads linked therein:

[click on arrow in quote to go there]

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
With Post #11 here being from October 2015, FYI there are a number of more recent threads with all kinds of details and suggestions about grills, connectors, adapters etc.:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...bq-124566.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ls-119813.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ill-20888.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...ll-155444.html

And the Stella's Kitchen sub-forum's list of topics contains many other interesting threads with grill info:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484/

Great time of year - to be thinking about grilling soon!

Cheers,

Peter

Most camping stoves have a built-in regulator which you need to remove/bypass in order to use the AS's low-pressure propane connection.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:

Thanks!

Your Coleman probably has a regulator and is designed to be connected directly to an LP cylinder. As c21bill said you could remove the regulator and convert it for low pressure operation. Here are a few videos on how it can be done.

Another alternative is buying a different grill like the Camco 57305 Olympian RV 5500 Stainless Steel RV Grill like I use. It is available from Camping world and other sources.
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...FcSLswodhhYF9g
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:58 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Mount Washington , Kentucky
You are correct, the Coleman is designed to run on high pressure and will not work, no matter what you try to do.
A few brands that make single burner and maybe 2-burner low pressure propane stoves - Mr Heater, Carolina, King Cooker, Camp Chef.
I personally bought a Carolina single burner stove and have been satisfied with its performance. Keeps the heat outside during hot days.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Mount Washington , Kentucky
Quote:
Your old Coleman camping stove had a burner system that required high pressure, I don't know the exact value but in the 10-15 PSI range. It may show on your serial plate.

The two grills above will work perfectly with low pressure because the burner system is designed to run on low pressure, 10"-11" (0.4 PSI)
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Perfect timing

I'm faced with the same problem with a grill that I was given. I can't work on it in the near future, so I'll post here so that I can always get back to this thread.

I had already decided to pitch the regulator and build an adapter.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:08 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Thanks for all of your suggestions for a low pressure grill and /or stove for our AI.

Now will look for one that takes up minimal space!
Rig Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I gave up on finding a small LPG grill and just bring a Weber Smokey Joe and several ice cream buckets of charcoal, a bottle of lighter fluid, and a chimney fire starter - all of which fits in a plastic tub that fits under the rear seat and between the slide-out rails that support the bed fold-down wings (Lounge EXT). I can carry enough charcoal for grilling 6-8 times. Works for me.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:36 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Winston-Salem , North Carolina
Try the Weber Q1000 or Q1200. The 1200 has a flip out shelf and thermometer. Remove the regulator for low pressure connection to AI. Check videos on You Tube. Great grill.
kurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:32 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
Easy work around for LP Port issues

I purchased propane bottle splitter from Amazon to connect directly to bottle using the original regulator which came with the grill. I had to insert an elbow on one outlet of the splitter so it fits in tank cover. The splitter has a check valve that closes unused outlet when not in use. With cover lid open I can connect my 12ft hose running to the grill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3176.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	360766   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3174.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	360767  

Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Link to that item on Amazon, please?
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:20 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-09-2020, 11:28 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rat View Post
Thanks for all of your suggestions for a low pressure grill and /or stove for our AI.

Now will look for one that takes up minimal space!
Unless you have your heart set on a new one, just remove the regulator on your current one and get the appropriate piping and tubing adapters. Only takes a little bit of knowledge about tubing and piping standards. All the adapters you need are available on amazon.

For those wondering, all common LPG/Propane regulators are set to the same downstream pressure so no need worrying yours is not the same pressure as the trailer port.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:25 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
My Volcano grill regulator is 10 psi, the Airstream LP Port is 11.5 column inches or about .5 psi. (according to google) They are NOT the same at all. I tried it both ways, connecting my grill to LP Port with no regulator my grill did not produce enough heat to be practical in any way but using the OEM Volcano regulator and a splitter to connect directly to bottle works very well...
Old 02-09-2020, 05:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Exterior LPG port

Some propane devices use rather high regulated pressure. My old Coleman propane camp stove and lanterns also run best on their own 10 to 15 psi regulators right off a propane bottle. They eat o-rings as well due to the higher pressure.

My Champion 3400 watt dual fuel inverter generator, with the right modifications runs “just fine” off the Airstream regulator low pressure side at 11 inches water column.

It has a bog-standard 11 inch WC regulator as part of the propane adapter. I just broke out the connection between that one and the much larger one that actually feeds the carburetor so I can run off the Airstream tanks easily over 24 feet of 1/2 id hose and 3/8 inch quick connector fittings. Adds to the peace and quiet inside when we’re desperate for air conditioning on the road...
Old 02-16-2020, 03:50 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Wayne , Nebraska
Can you post a link to the adaptors needed to eliminate the regulator?

Ron
Wayne Fire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Exterior LPG port

You actually can’t eliminate the bigger of the two closely coupled regulators and hose that comes with the Champion dual fuel generators for propane use. The bigger regulator and hose is still needed so the engine will run correctly.

What I did was separate the two screwed-together regulators, and installed brass adapters from the local big box home improvement store to adapt to 3/8 inch quick connects and a matching 1/2 inch low pressure propane hose assembly from Amazon. I can now run the generator off my add-on port on the A-frame or a standard propane tank.

The whole write up is available in the “which generator” thread on the forum. The start and finish of the project has pictures, and a lot of explanations. If you can’t find it, send me a PM and I’ll dig out the data and send you the links. Can’t easily do it on my phone...

Got to the computer, finally. Here is the link:

Posts 20-22 or so of the "Which Generator" thread are the descripton of the mdofication.

Posts starting at 182 or so are the actual pictures.

Thread is:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...175058-13.html
Old 09-25-2020, 01:11 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Albany , Oregon
Question No propane

I opened the valve on my LPG quick disconnect on the front of my Flying Cloud but nothing comes out. Does it have to be connected to something? Just testing to see if it works, as I've never used it, but plan to this week.
FlyingCloud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:42 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
K.I.S.S. principle: I chased my own tail on this issue for years, only to conclude that I am barking up the wrong tree in trying to engineer a solution. For three bucks apiece, one can buy one-pound propane cylinders and use those in lieu of a more complicated large-bottle hook-up.

Not only does this liberate us from the Interstate's undermount tank, it allows greater spatial flexibility. I never want to grill close to the van because of the smoke and grease. By using the portable bottles, I can move our Magma grill wherever I want.

Each one-pounder supplies about 3.5 hours of grilling time, or 3.5 hours of running both burners on a camp stove. A number of YouTubers have tested them and found similar results.

We brought 4 one-pounders with us on our 5-week cross-continent trek this summer, just to be sure we had enough. Total usage was about 1.5 bottles, and we were both frying and baking bread in the Magma.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote