Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2019, 10:47 AM   #1
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Extended Warranty

Has anyone here recently purchased an Extended Warranty from a Mercedes dealer? Looking for best available pricing.

Thanks,
Bill
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:06 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I avoid extended warranties like the plague. All companies are in business to make money, and the companies that sell extended warranties are no exception. Which means that on average, the buyer of an extended warranty will eventually (over the life of the warranty) pay more for the warranty than the warranty will pay out for repairs. For every glowing testimonial about how an extended warranty saves someone big bucks, there are more who didn't save a dime by buying the warranty because they didn't need it after all.

Some vehicles have a reputation for trouble but other vehicles have a reputation for reliability— according to the dealers' service departments, but NOT according to Forum members (who are all perfectionists at heart and who bemoan even the slightest mechanical defect).

If you really feel that you will need to take advantage of an extended warranty, then I'm not going to tell you not to get one. But before you lay down any money for one, talk to the service manager at your Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer and see how often (or how seldom) Sprinters in their area need repairs (as opposed to routine service) and what the typical repairs cost. You may find that paying for repairs after the standard warranty expires is less expensive in the long run than buying the extended warranty.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Extended Warranty

Ditto. Havenít seen an extended warranty that wasnít weasel worded by a bunch of lawyers to avoid ever paying out for repairs

Iíve managed to do just fine without them. Put the money in a savings account, put an automatic deposit in there for the yearly maintenance fee, and use it for repairs.

It also helps a lot to learn how to do your own repairs and preventive maintenance so you are not at the mercy of any hard to schedule dealers service departments and their alleged repair technicians.

So far, I have not had issues other than one incident (blown GYM tire damage) that was fully covered by the trailer insurance policy.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:47 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Thousand Oaks , California
I have the Good Sam Extended Warranty which was pretty reasonable and covers the Mercedes parts as well as the coach parts. You might look into what they cover versus the Mercedes warranty. Having said that, I am appealing a denied claim right now, carbon buildup in the intake manifolds necessitated an expensive repair and they initially denied the repaid.
Ryoungca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:43 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Nashville , Tennessee
There can be many differences in Extended Warranties offered via Franchise OEM Dealer's, Internet or Used Vehicle Dealers. READ THE WARRANTY OFFER COMPLETELY and understand completely what you are purchasing BEFORE you sign the paperwork!

You typically will get a more comprehensive extended warranty plan from a Franchise OEM Dealer that will better cover the new vehicle you are purchasing. This is also true if you are purchasing a used vehicle offered for sale by a Franchise OEM Dealer when the used vehicle is the same make they sell new. These extended warranties are typically 20%-25% more expensive than internet extended warranties however they are also MUCH MORE COMPREHENSIVE in what they cover and where you can have the vehicle repaired. There are LOT'S of repair facilities that will not accept many of these internet extended warranties for direct payment with these repair shops requiring YOU to pay to the repair bill IN FULL to get your vehicle back and then YOU get to deal with the warranty company for payment reimbursement if any!

Why is this important and what do ya get for extra moolah?

In this case Mercedes is a HIGH LINE motor vehicle with labor rates for repair in most markets at $150/hour and greater. Most local Chevy dealers are now at least $100/hour. One control panel in a Mercedes can go out and the cost of the replacement control panel can easily be $1,000+ and then you get to add the cost of labor for installation on top of that. This can easily can be a $2,000+ repair very quickly.

You got an extra $2K with you on the road for this repair?

I didn't think so!

Given the cost of electronic and mechanical parts for repair of modern vehicles and the high cost of labor for their replacement and repair $2500 for a Franchise Dealer Extended Warranty plan is a BARGAIN on a $50,000+ vehicle!!! One repair when your vehicle is out of factory warranty and into the extended warranty can easily cost more than you initially paid for the extended warranty plan.

Your new to you vehicle is NOT a throw away item like a new vacuum cleaner or TV where the price of an extended warranty really can be a waste of money given the SMALL amount of money you spent initially purchasing those inexpensive items. A new Mercedes is NOT a inexpensive initial purchase item!

I am NOT a proponent of Extended Warranties for anything other than motor vehicles and particularly new motor vehicles. All the rest of that stuff I choose to "Self Insure".

Given the complexity of new vehicles and cost of repair you are FOOLISH NOT TO PURCHASE a Comprehensive Extended Warranty Plan (transferable to second owner preferred) on ANY VEHICLE you purchase that you intend to keep, own and drive longer than the factory warranty period will cover.

A vehicle Extended Warranty Purchase is one purchase decision that should NEVER be driven by price alone!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
On average an extended warranty is a bad deal, or the company offering them would be losing money. If you are unable to afford a high price failure and want to protect yourself in the unlikely event that it happens, then get an extended warranty. But I bet that few MB purchasers cannot afford a high price failure. (Forgive the double negative.) Yes, MB's cost more to fix, but I'd guess that their extended warranty cost more too.

I bought an extended warranty once - for a new model of exercise machine that was from a start-up company. I bought it from the store selling the machine. I justified it based upon these extenuating circumstances - and in that instance I was correct in my decision. After two repairs that were covered by the commercial warranty the equipment manufacturer went out of business and the store credited all of my purchase price towards the purchase of a different exercise machine.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote