Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2020, 08:00 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Emissions Recall, Pending

https://www.cars.com/articles/merced...o-know-427826/

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/us-re...es-benz-diesel

Recently had to take our 2011 Sprinter to Freightliner for Check Engine Light. After running diagnostics, test drive and resetting the CEL,(which did not come back on during their test drive) I was told that the results were inconclusive. I was then told about the upcoming recall and to just wait to see if my CEL returned. Also they told me not to do any repairs on this until the recall happens. I appreciated their honesty. So driving back home from the shop the CEL came back on. I am patiently waiting for my recall notice.

Road Jager
Old 11-23-2020, 08:25 AM   #2
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Here's the class-action settlement page, which is not yet functional. Apparently, Bosch is in the mix here as well. Anyway, when the page below starts working, we should see more than "coming soon."

https://www.mbbluetecsettlement.com/

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
2017 base Sprinter just missed this one! My former 2014.5 would have been involved. I wonder what changes were made in 2017 to meet standards? I do notice that the indicated fuel mileage in my 2018 AI is a bit less than the mileage in the 2014.5.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:01 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadJager View Post
https://www.cars.com/articles/merced...o-know-427826/

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/us-re...es-benz-diesel

Recently had to take our 2011 Sprinter to Freightliner for Check Engine Light. After running diagnostics, test drive and resetting the CEL,(which did not come back on during their test drive) I was told that the results were inconclusive. I was then told about the upcoming recall and to just wait to see if my CEL returned. Also they told me not to do any repairs on this until the recall happens. I appreciated their honesty. So driving back home from the shop the CEL came back on. I am patiently waiting for my recall notice.

Road Jager
Sadly this agreement does not work well for us the consumer. Assuming their estimate of only 250,000 vehicles (what about all those Fed X or Amazon vehicles?) is correct it means $1,744 per vehicle. The nox sensors cost that alone and this problem is much deeper than just replacing those. All the rest of the settlement goes to fines and other items that do nothing for the consumer.
Heckler56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:03 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler56 View Post
Sadly this agreement does not work well for us the consumer. Assuming their estimate of only 250,000 vehicles (what about all those Fed X or Amazon vehicles?) is correct it means $1,744 per vehicle. The nox sensors cost that alone and this problem is much deeper than just replacing those. All the rest of the settlement goes to fines and other items that do nothing for the consumer.
MB is required to repair 85% of the vehicles. How does that not have "anything to do with the consumer"? Fines to the offender have never benefited the consumers directly. But indirectly they benefit consumers with cleaner air and as in the VW Dieselgate settlement, we got funding for electric vehicle charging stations across the states.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:44 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadJager View Post
MB is required to repair 85% of the vehicles. How does that not have "anything to do with the consumer"? Fines to the offender have never benefited the consumers directly. But indirectly they benefit consumers with cleaner air and as in the VW Dieselgate settlement, we got funding for electric vehicle charging stations across the states.
The devil is ultimately in the details of the actual judgement which I haven’t seen. What is available are press releases. What we do know is this does not involve a buyback program. So if they fail to be able to fix it, what happens for consumers with a vehicle that will ultimately be flagged for non registration renewal? The estimate of repair cost is $450mm. That includes sedans impacted along with an estimated 250k Sprinters. $450mm/250k= $1744 (high est. since we don’t know how many sedans are involved). It is reported that ~$800 can go to the original owner leaving $900 for me the second owner.
The absence of a buyback really lifts a big financial burden off of MB to resolve the issues. For VW on 600k vehicles it cost them $15B because of the fines and buyback. What was leftover was about $7k per vehicle. $7k to $1.7k doesn’t give me warm and fuzzy this will end well. VW looked at the economics of $7.5k and made payouts, what will MB do if all they face is a $1.7k decision? This is how I conclude this doesn’t really help the consumer.
Heckler56 is offline   Reply With Quote