Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2021, 04:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
​2020 Atlas​
Pullman , Washington
Electrical System Upgrade - 2021 Airstream Atlas

I got this in the mail today - looks like some upgrades available ….

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7611.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	397154
WA_Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:44 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

That sounds like swapping out hardware. From what I've seen, it's really about re-programming the firmware. Simply put: it's a software / settings update.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:27 AM   #3
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
It's not a lot, but it's more than I've ever seen AS do before for rigs already sold and out in the field. Competitive pressure, perhaps? Enjoy!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:25 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
It's not a lot, but it's more than I've ever seen AS do before for rigs already sold and out in the field. Competitive pressure, perhaps? Enjoy!
Hi

..... or maybe there's a safety issue buried in there ....

Bob
Old 06-12-2021, 10:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
Interesting to know what 'other charge device settings' they will adjust and how they will 'reduce electrical draws'. I suspect older model years could benefit from this. Or maybe the 2020 and 2021 model years are REALLY BAD, and they are just returning them to the BAD configuration of earlier years.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:22 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Interesting to know what 'other charge device settings' they will adjust and how they will 'reduce electrical draws'. I suspect older model years could benefit from this. Or maybe the 2020 and 2021 model years are REALLY BAD, and they are just returning them to the BAD configuration of earlier years.
Hi

Some Interstates have the Victron DC/DC between the alternator and the house batteries. It has charge profiles / lithium settings just like the Magnum inverter / charger and the Blue Solar MPPT.

Static draw might be referring to an update on the control panel firmware ...

Bob
Old 06-14-2021, 12:24 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
Los Angeles , California
I got this letter as well. Airstream is just swapping the Magnum out with the proper one.

the Magnum inverter/charger that were installed on early 2021 Interstate / Atlas do not support charging Lithium batteries. there's no charge profile for Lithium.

The "wrong" Magnum can not be reprogrammed to add Lithium profile, it must be replaced with the proper one.
mike2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:48 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Magnolia , Texas
Based on my personal experience and what others have posted, here's what we KNOW is wrong on the initial production lithium packages (generally the first 6 months of production of the 2021s):

1. The Magnum MMS1012 Inverter/Charger under the front passenger seat was the NON-lithium version (non "L" model), thus, does not charge lithium batteries correctly.
Fix: It needs to be replaced with the "L" model.
2. The Magnum ME-RC50 remote control located in the upper electronics locker also is the NON-lithium version.
Fix: It needs to be replaced with the ME-RC50-L model so it has the lithium profile (I called Magnum and it seems the firmware cannot be upgraded).
3. The Victron MPPT 150/35 BlueSolar Charge Controller buried in the upper electronics cabinet behind the panel was shipped with the default AGM battery charge profile.
Fix: The rotary dial setting on the bottom of the unit needs to be changed to "7" for lithium batteries.
4. The BatteryMINDer 128CEC1 Maintenance charger located under the driver's seat was not set to it's highest charging rate of 8A. This is for charging the Mercedes chassis battery off shorepower, not for the lithium house batteries.
Fix: change the setting on the top to 8A via the push button.

Note: To verify if the correct Magnum "L" versions are installed for items #1,2 above, I posted some instructions here.

Here's what else could be wrong but unconfirmed:
1. The Victron Buck-Boost DC-DC Converter (charger) under the driver's seat may also have incorrect lithium charging settings and/or excessive parasitic draw. It requires a laptop connection to verify so again, this is speculative.

In addition to above, here are some factory quality issues that have been experienced or reported for the Victron MPPT 150/35 BlueSolar Charge Controller:
1. On my 2021 unit, the "PV" + and - wires were reversed from the factory, rendering my house battery solar charging useless until I found the problem and fixed it. (The dealer couldn't find it themselves.)
2. Others have reported loose (but not necessarily reversed) wires going into the controller which reduced the charging effectiveness. Once corrected, their solar charging seemed to be operating correctly.

I addressed most of the above items myself, ahead of the recall notice, but it will be interesting to see what the dealer actually fixes. Whoever takes theirs in, please post your experience here.
WeekendBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WA_Airstream View Post
I got this in the mail today - looks like some upgrades available ….

Attachment 397154

Interesting shadows.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:51 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendBob View Post
1. The Victron Buck-Boost DC-DC Converter (charger) under the driver's seat may also have incorrect lithium charging settings and/or excessive parasitic draw. It requires a laptop connection to verify so again, this is speculative.

there's a software to download on Victron website, it requires a windows laptop. I have yet to check mine. I always had a feeling it wasn't programmed properly. mine doesn't seem to be charging the house batteries when driving.
mike2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:26 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2016 View Post
there's a software to download on Victron website, it requires a windows laptop. I have yet to check mine. I always had a feeling it wasn't programmed properly. mine doesn't seem to be charging the house batteries when driving.
Hi

When you do download the Victron software, set aside a nice calm afternoon to dive into it. It *may* work fine first time / no trouble at all. It also may take a bit of "quality time" to get past this and that feature of how it does its thing. Some of there stuff is fine, other packages not so much..... user experience also seems to vary depending on exactly what Windows machine you have.

Bob
Old 06-15-2021, 03:10 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
San Francisco , California
thanks WeekendBob. fantastic summary!
BeachBrad is offline   Reply With Quote