Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2018, 11:56 AM   #221
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Very sorry to hear that you keep having problems Alex.
Safe travels.
FLYFISHINRVR - Thank you! When I had the comm issue between Dometic & Firefly, I was determined to not let it ruin our 3 night stay at Sand Hollow Park, UT that I manually cycled A/C every 3 mins from 100° down to 70° every afternoon. Gotta do what we gotta do to salvage quality family time

Utah is such a great area for rv activities. It is not as crowded as Cal, so we can get great spots even last minute. I could not get sites in San Diego or Malibu unless I reserved in early spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180701_114147.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	493.3 KB
ID:	315647  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:41 PM   #222
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Echoing FLYFISHINRVR comments. Out of words. Glad you are not letting it ruin your vacation... but it must frustrate the heck out of you...man!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:32 PM   #223
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
NEW replacement Magnum will not pass shore power AC. It does charge house batts.

On the other hand, Zion is such a beautiful place, I will not let this crazy rv ruin it for my family, so we got the good old 20A orange extension cord to plug in the tv. But it is getting old - 4 multi-day trips with 4 trip-ending problems.

Looks like a nice spot you landed. Some shade, level, and decent views.

Glad you can try and overlook the problems you've had, but you must be a better man than me. Good grief, what you've had to deal with!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:33 PM   #224
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Looks like a nice spot you landed. Some shade, level, and decent views.

Glad you can try and overlook the problems you've had, but you must be a better man than me. Good grief, what you've had to deal with!
ROWIEBOWIE - it was such a beautiful weekend to get away from Las Vegas, a 10 degree drop from 105 to 95 was actually very refreshing for us. And so beautiful Zion National Park, and daughter, grandson, & wife so excited - short of another meltdown, I was just not going to let another inverter problem ruin their fun. Grandson didn't know any better. He had a blast!

The rv park was superbly maintained, family oriented, had access to Zion River behind the rv spots, great pool/spa, generous sized spots, great views, plenty of activities for the kids in the social hall, bingo, snake painting, big rec room, kids playground, small food concession (for those not wanting to cook or leave camp), large/clean bathrooms & showers for more elbow room, a big general store that's open until 10pm.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180629_162924 (600x800).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	355.2 KB
ID:	315723   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180629_191032 (600x800).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	315724  

Name:	20180629_193308 (600x800).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	315725   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180629_202222 (600x800).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	353.9 KB
ID:	315726  

Name:	zion-river-1100x600-5w5994.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	362.9 KB
ID:	315728  
Old 07-03-2018, 04:14 AM   #225
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Wow, looks awesome. Thanks for the pics and camp info

Sent from my SM-T580 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:19 AM   #226
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
FYI, another Magnum inverter fire, this one with pics. These people are lucky that they did not lose their lives.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/magn...re-436453.html
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 04:24 PM   #227
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
FYI, another Magnum inverter fire, this one with pics. These people are lucky that they did not lose their lives.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/magn...re-436453.html
Thanks for posting this story. It contains a lot of stuff in the 12 pages. I found another incident of a Magnum fire in post #41 of the thread above.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/magn...ml#post4698626

... and another is post #128

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/magn...ml#post4711208

... plus a close call incident in post #156

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/magn...ml#post4712951

These incidents indicate that a full battery cut-off to the inverter is a good idea.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:20 PM   #228
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I didn't dig back through this thread to check whether anyone has posted this.

Yesterday, while getting ready to install my Blue Sea BIM, I noticed a small box with a glowing LED behind the Magnum. It was connected by two wires that entered the Magnum and were not shown on the wiring diagrams in my manual. This box was not in my 2014.5.

The small text on the box indicated that it was for smoke detection. The two wires into the Magnum apparently go to a smoke sensor or heat sensor internal to the Magnum.

The output of the box hooks into the line from the disconnect switch by the door and will drive both disconnect switches to the off condition. There is also a line identified as AC enable that apparently shuts off AC to the Magnum. I can not locate any trace of the other end of this line on the drawings.

Apparently the Magnum fires impelled Airstream to add some protection.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190612_093506.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	343224   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190612_093551.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	343225  

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:23 PM   #229
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I didn't dig back through this thread to check whether anyone has posted this.

Yesterday, while getting ready to install my Blue Sea BIM, I noticed a small box with a glowing LED behind the Magnum. It was connected by two wires that entered the Magnum and were not shown on the wiring diagrams in my manual. This box was not in my 2014.5.

The small text on the box indicated that it was for smoke detection. The two wires into the Magnum apparently go to a smoke sensor or heat sensor internal to the Magnum.

The output of the box hooks into the line from the disconnect switch by the door and will drive both disconnect switches to the off condition. There is also a line identified as AC enable that apparently shuts off AC to the Magnum. I can not locate any trace of the other end of this line on the drawings.

Apparently the Magnum fires impelled Airstream to add some protection.
JOHN - The AC Enabled sense line (ACE in diagrams) function is to disconnect inverter/charger from house batts when there is no AC. Per diagrams I saw of 2017 vs. 2018, this started on 2018's. The ACE sense line and diode keeps the Magnum inverter/charger connected to batts. while in the presence of shore power. That change essentially renders the Battery Disconnect switch (by the slider door) a non-factor in batts. charging operation, regardless of the switch position.

That black box with red led is interesting. No one has posted that to my knowledge. So you may be the 1st recipient. That is just a relay and the led on means the relay is activated. Did not see your reference to smoke/heat sensor connection? Do you have another pic? If it is connected to the ACE sense line, then the ACE is triggering the relay to turn on something. It would make sense to think it would replace the Inverter disconnect switch (big & red, inside the enclosure, not the one outside) to make it fully automated without a manual option to override it if AC power is connected. It makes sense, except your pic shows the inside red disconnect switch (which the relay would've replaced) is still there. I would be curious to see how it is completely wired in.

I have to check if they added that relay in mine when they replaced my Magnum. ACE diagram from my unit below without that new relay. Can you post a copy of that section of your diagram?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream ACE Line.png
Views:	41
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	343247  
Old 06-13-2019, 05:02 PM   #230
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
JOHN - The AC Enabled sense line (ACE in diagrams) function is to disconnect inverter/charger from house batts when there is no AC. Per diagrams I saw of 2017 vs. 2018, this started on 2018's. The ACE sense line and diode keeps the Magnum inverter/charger connected to batts. while in the presence of shore power. That change essentially renders the Battery Disconnect switch (by the slider door) a non-factor in batts. charging operation, regardless of the switch position.

That black box with red led is interesting. No one has posted that to my knowledge. So you may be the 1st recipient. That is just a relay and the led on means the relay is activated. Did not see your reference to smoke/heat sensor connection? Do you have another pic? If it is connected to the ACE sense line, then the ACE is triggering the relay to turn on something. It would make sense to think it would replace the Inverter disconnect switch (big & red, inside the enclosure, not the one outside) to make it fully automated without a manual option to override it if AC power is connected. It makes sense, except your pic shows the inside red disconnect switch (which the relay would've replaced) is still there. I would be curious to see how it is completely wired in.

I have to check if they added that relay in mine when they replaced my Magnum. ACE diagram from my unit below without that new relay. Can you post a copy of that section of your diagram?
Hi Alex,
This is one of the things I hate about RV manufacturer's. Rather than redesigning the electrical system to match current technologies; they add or delete stuff (with probably unintended consequences) to try to make it work. I'll get down off my soap box now.
Pat
pdavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:21 PM   #231
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdavitt View Post
Hi Alex,
This is one of the things I hate about RV manufacturer's. Rather than redesigning the electrical system to match current technologies; they add or delete stuff (with probably unintended consequences) to try to make it work. I'll get down off my soap box now.
Pat
PAT - No soap box. I think many agree with you (myself included). Kinda like a hodge-podge'ing the hardware rather than the complete re-design you allude to. If I could extrapolate to the software side - this is like keeping Windows XP alive by perpetuating newer patches over older patches and never coming up with Windows 10 S At some point, AS needs a re-design of house infrastructure to match the technology of the newly re-designed 3rd gen Sprinter.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:43 PM   #232
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Alex_AVI: I have the same diagram. What I don't have or can't find is the page that stub you circled hooks to. I need to email Airstream and see if I can get page 95319651 that is referenced there. I suspect that page will show the box with the LED.

If you expand that photo, the box has a label that says "for use with a smoke control system."
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:05 PM   #233
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Alex_AVI: I have the same diagram. What I don't have or can't find is the page that stub you circled hooks to. I need to email Airstream and see if I can get page 95319651 that is referenced there. I suspect that page will show the box with the LED.

If you expand that photo, the box has a label that says "for use with a smoke control system."
JOHN - Yes, I pretty sure I tried looking for that diagram page 95319651 (long ago) and did not locate it with what I had.

Ok, I see what you mean. That label just means it is approved for use with smoke control systems. Does not mean it is (or has to be) connected to one. All RIB Relays (Relay In a Box) have that labeling (Type F, G, EM) General Signaling Eqpt.