Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2018, 01:26 PM   #121
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
John,

Thank you. Looking at vents... and getting some Noctua NF-P12 fans to be controlled by a thermostatic switch .

On the vents, I think these can do the job... I just need to check to better visualize where they would go... would have been great to be able to drop in something similar to what was used for the fridge (the one on the bottom)... just so that it looked all the same... not sure if the space is there for that without interfering with the door to the breaker panel...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ODAG6SHA&psc=1

Sorry, Alex... I will move future updates on this to my thread...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:38 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
I know, right!!??

I am searching for high efficiency, low power consumption fans... want to use one or two for the fridge and one for the inverter area (along with a vent). I want to get some air flow in these areas but without adding too much noise or having a big power drain...
I’m not sure about efficiency but Noctua fans are the quietest computer fans on the market. I used one in our system and will likely add a couple more down the road.

https://www.newegg.com/Noctua/BrandStore/ID-12454

I’m also using this thermostat: https://www.coolerguys.com/products/...ontroller-rev4

I like it well enough but it requires both 5v and 12v inputs so if you don’t have any other 5v pereferials, I would try to find a 12v version.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:03 PM   #123
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
I would probably wait on Alex's outcome on his inverter problem... Maybe Airstream will make it right for the rest of us.

Hopefully...

If not, I foresee legal problems for Airstream in the future, especially if Alex's problem happens again.
Boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:39 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Electrical burning, heavy smoke w/ 3yr old grandson sleeping in AI

The inverter failed. That happens sometimes, even when Airstream picks a top of the line brand. Yeah, it sucks, but it just is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0948.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	314550

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:39 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
I am not sure any of those vents and fans would be sufficient. It will help, but in extreme cases (like extreme summer temps in Las Vegas) it may barely make a dent. I do not have my unit yet (leaving it at dealer's to continue to run in their lot), but my recollection of the amount or availability of room to put the extra fans & vents are very limited (and mine is stock compared to what some of you guys have added in there).

I think these were already posted by different people, just to re-emphasize these requirements from Magnum Owner's Manual (page 10) :
- ambient air temperature should be between 32 deg F and 104 deg F
- output specs are rated at 77 deg F
- when mounted in an enclosed compartment, airflow must be at least 59 cfm in order to maintain no more than 68 deg F rise in compartment temp.

I guess we are only supposed to use the AI only in winter to be within specs? As soon as I get mine back, will work on more drastic steps, probably just lose that seat altogether to be able to be able to implement the necessary venting & air circulation to curb the temps.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #126

Orlando , Florida
I stand corrected... there are vents on the side. Did not notice those until now. So maybe add a small 2x2 fan to her more air moving...

Going back to update my thread... charger not working
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3C3A748A-DB69-4A01-ADD5-487D9BF89CC9.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	314561   Click image for larger version

Name:	88E0974D-24E0-4D0A-AD98-50C66B0486C7.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	314562  

WBCCI #26769
Old 06-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #127
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
I stand corrected... there are vents on the side. Did not notice those until now
Nice! There ya go. Your Magnum is now in full compliance of their installation requirements.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #128

Orlando , Florida
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Nice! There ya go. Your Magnum is now in full compliance of their installation requirements.
Yeah...but not charging...good grief...
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-19-2018, 08:38 PM   #129
3 Rivet Member

Middletown , Maryland
Quote:
I stand corrected... there are vents on the side. Did not notice those until now. So maybe add a small 2x2 fan to her more air moving...

Going back to update my thread... charger not working
Nice shiny vents! AS didn't cut any corners there.

Seriously -- those look like stainless steel. Very nice for vents that are essentially hidden.

As you said, a small fan would be nice -- perhaps thermostatically controlled.
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:24 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
This is my Magnum inverter before I ripped it all out:

It is under my bunk bed where I sleep. So if anything blew, it would have taken me with it.

It is a horrible install with rats nest of cables going everywhere.

Worst part is that there is an AC panel with all the breakers vertically mounted 90 degrees to it. High voltage and low voltage wires crossed right in front of each other. Really bad practice. When I replaced it all, I made sure there was proper clearance although it was not ideal given the small space.

On the issue of grounding, there is that post where all the grounds connect. It then has another cable that goes to the van chassis. There, it meets with ground wire from the generator.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:24 PM   #131
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Yeah...but not charging...good grief...
WACHUKO - sorry I missed that part. I thought your charging situatrion was just a temporary 'glitch' as we used to call it in the computer world. But I wonder why the TB unit has those vents and the fridge side vent on galley cabinet that we don't? I guess one has to pay $20k more for a TB, so they would give you better safety venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
This is my Magnum inverter before I ripped it all out:

It is under my bunk bed where I sleep. So if anything blew, it would have taken me with it.

It is a horrible install with rats nest of cables going everywhere.

Worst part is that there is an AC panel with all the breakers vertically mounted 90 degrees to it. High voltage and low voltage wires crossed right in front of each other. Really bad practice. When I replaced it all, I made sure there was proper clearance although it was not ideal given the small space.
AMIRM - yes, one of the highest amperage & high temp devices in the AI right under where we sleep. They could have fortified the enclosure a bit more or consider install of those components in a different area like the galley. Given the very tight confines, you would also think they would wire it a lot more in-line with the MB standards. The AI wiring (as I have commented on some of my early posts) is high-school level at best.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:26 AM   #132

Orlando , Florida
Alex, looks like it is all fine and I am just overreacting... it was a setting on the Magnum that I overlooked. Just a bit on the edge with the trip planned next week and seeing what you went through...

Universe is back in balance...
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-20-2018, 11:22 AM   #133
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
..INTERBLOG commented that she would've had to be really peeved-off to sue MB. ...
Really peeved-off, or really desperate.

I just rendered 10-day notice of intent to sue on Sears re: our 3-months-broken Kenmore Elite, as that's the procedural step that our local justice court wants to see first.

The giant sucking sound I hear is my time and energy continuing to swirl into a bottomless pit of blackness. Nobody would go through this process unless they were absolutely left with no choice. Unfortunately we bought a higher-end stick-and-brick refrigerator and we just can't kick the damned thing to the curb without seeking lemon law relief for the resulting financial hit.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #134
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Alex, looks like it is all fine and I am just overreacting... it was a setting on the Magnum that I overlooked.
WACHUKO - saw that on your thread. Glad you were able to tighten the nut near steering wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
The giant sucking sound I hear is my time and energy continuing to swirl into a bottomless pit of blackness. Nobody would go through this process unless they were absolutely left with no choice.
INTERBLOG - sorry you had to take this route Surprising as Sears normally back their products very well in all the years we have bought durable-type goods from them. Hope this step wakes them up to do right thing.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #135
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
INTERBLOG - sorry you had to take this route Surprising as Sears normally back their products very well in all the years we have bought durable-type goods from them. Hope this step wakes them up to do right thing.
That's why we invested with Sears, because we thought so, too. But it's pretty obvious to me that their people are now under orders to keep stringing us along, for as long as we will submit to it. I base this interpretation on their tone of voice when I ask questions. Personally I think they'd like to act to fix our situation, to do their jobs. But I get the impression that their hands are tied by people above them. The litigation process is the only recourse.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:50 AM   #136
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
Litigation should be the absolute last resort, for many reasons.

Few letters from an attorney do wonders in getting a situation resolved quickly.
Boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #137
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:

Sadly, Sears, as a company, is just a shell of what they once were. They have sold off all the rights to Craftsman tools, for example. They seem to be trembling on the brink of bankruptcy as well. Their suppliers are demanding cash up front to ship materials to them.

I would not spend a lot of time waiting for them to 'do the right thing', given their current business issues...they might not survive for too much longer.

What really bugs me is that years ago (circa 1994 or so) they got completely out of the catalog business. They had the warehousing, computers, shipping, and every bit of the necessary infrastructure to have become as big ro bigger than Amazon, before Amazon even started up. They totally were locked into the retail "sticks and bricks" mindset at the time, and, IMHO, lost the opportunity to do great things...

Used to do tons of business with them, but as their quality fell, and the stores looked worse and worse, the merger with K-mart**, etc. I've taken my business elsewhere.

** That merger was likened at the time to "Strapping two drunks together, and seeing if they could stand upright..." That did not work either--both businesses are still falling apart...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:17 PM   #138
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
I haven't done any serious shopping at Sears since 1977, when they were still relevant. All of their appliances are just rebrands of others' products - why would anyone pay a ton of money for a Sears branded anything??? In 2018???!?!!!?
HUSK N TUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:59 PM   #139
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSK N TUSK View Post
I haven't done any serious shopping at Sears since 1977, when they were still relevant. All of their appliances are just rebrands of others' products - why would anyone pay a ton of money for a Sears branded anything??? In 2018???!?!!!?
Answer: Because I'm a dumb a** who didn't do enough homework. I'm completely serious - I take full responsibility. And now I'm stuck with reams and reams of stuff like this:

Old 06-20-2018, 01:03 PM   #140
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Threatening court action is going to make the lowly call-center employee retreat and NOT be able to help you, as you've been finding out. Once you choose to threaten legal action, consider all your other previous options essentially moot. You've purposely introduced yourself to another level of "problem" in the retail world that has its own set of hidden rules set in stone. But, some people like it there. Have fun.
HUSK N TUSK is offline   Reply With Quote