Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2018, 12:29 PM   #1

Carlsbad , California
Electrical Battery question

Folks, I think I have an issue. With my inverter OFF my fridge light still works and I see the video (hmdi) control box light still on.

I was under the impression if the inverter is off that the house accessories like the fridge and TV equipment would be disconnected.

With the inverter off, car off, the house batteries are connected, all switches are off.... when I open the fridge the light is still on, when I loo up over the drivers seat I see the red light still for the HDMI video switch.

Is there a setting that will have everything off and no draw from the house or coach batteries?
71Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
You need the inverter when using battery power to power the television. The inverter has nothing to do with the refrigerator.

You need to install a disconnect switch from the batteries if you want to kill all power. Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Cuda View Post
Folks, I think I have an issue. With my inverter OFF my fridge light still works and I see the video (hmdi) control box light still on.

I was under the impression if the inverter is off that the house accessories like the fridge and TV equipment would be disconnected.

With the inverter off, car off, the house batteries are connected, all switches are off.... when I open the fridge the light is still on, when I loo up over the drivers seat I see the red light still for the HDMI video switch.

Is there a setting that will have everything off and no draw from the house or coach batteries?
71CUDA - Inverter off means 120V AC appliances are off (assuming not plugged in to shore). Fridge and hdmi switch are 12vdc. Battery Disconnect switch will disconect your entire house from your house batts. If you have Fusion head unit, it can still draw from chassis batt. VB Air & E&P Hydraulic levelers will also draw from chassis, and awning, step. And few other items are not disconnected from Battery Disconnect Switch.

FYI - Also, would you kindly change your User CP Profile info to reflect your rig model and year OR at least preface your post with the info, so that we can understand how to help you better.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The items you list are 12v items; not dependent on the inverter.

Shut down power by using the switch at the door. That disconnects all except the propane detector by actuating two motor-driven rotary switches.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Shut down power by using the switch at the door. That disconnects all except the propane detector by actuating two motor-driven rotary switches.
JOHN - that depends on what MY the OP has. On mine, the Battery Disconnect also turns off propane detector. But it does not affect power couch/bed & power hose reel, they stay powered. Pretty sure there's a few different combos that AS , in their infinite wisdom, decided to come up with regarding which items the Battery Disconnect "truly" turned off.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Alex,
I agree there is little rhyme or reason to which circuits are where, both within and between model years. But I am surprised to hear that your battery disconnect does not impact hose reel. Doesn't the battery disconnect shut off power to the 12v blade fuse panel (plus other stuff perhaps)? Mine does. And isn't the hose reel on one of the 12V blade fuses? If your hose reel is in fact on the 12V blade fuse panel it seems to suggest that some of the 12v blade fuse circuits are powered through the battery disconnect and some are not. If that is the case, Airstream seems to have taken their wiring 'logic' to a whole new level of weirdness.

On mine the only things that are not turned off by the battery disconnect are those things that are also not part of the 12V blade fuse panel. Those items (lounge seat motor, tank heat pads, radio, and solar controller) have thermal breakers.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Alex,
I agree there is little rhyme or reason to which circuits are where, both within and between model years. But I am surprised to hear that your battery disconnect does not impact hose reel. Doesn't the battery disconnect shut off power to the 12v blade fuse panel (plus other stuff perhaps)? Mine does. And isn't the hose reel on one of the 12V blade fuses? If your hose reel is in fact on the 12V blade fuse panel it seems to suggest that some of the 12v blade fuse circuits are powered through the battery disconnect and some are not. If that is the case, Airstream seems to have taken their wiring 'logic' to a whole new level of weirdness.

On mine the only things that are not turned off by the battery disconnect are those things that are also not part of the 12V blade fuse panel. Those items (lounge seat motor, tank heat pads, radio, and solar controller) have thermal breakers.
TRONADORA - Nope, hose reel is on CB6. Lounge motor is on CB2. I guess with the lounge motor and hose reel being susceptible to blowing fuses, they decided it's better to CB them. BTW - here's a good one, my tank heat pads are also not turned off by Battery Disconnect BUT you need to have Firefly "Tank Heater Enable" line on (Firefly is turned off by Battery Disconnect) to turn on tank heat pads . Heat pads CB1, Solar CB3, Radio CB5. Battery Disconnect is on CB4.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
OOOPS, my reply above was obviously for TITUS
Old 01-04-2019, 10:28 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Springfield , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
The items you list are 12v items; not dependent on the inverter.

John: I have a 2017 Interstate and when I cut the main power switch as you noted--and when I am on shore power--the microwave will still have power, as will the Refrigerator--is that normal??

Mike
Muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
John: I have a 2017 Interstate and when I cut the main power switch as you noted--and when I am on shore power--the microwave will still have power, as will the Refrigerator--is that normal??

Mike
MUDDY - Microwave is 120vac, refrigerator is 120vac & 12vdc. The Main Disconnect is to disconnect the batteries from the 12vdc components. If you want to disconnect the 120vac components while plugged into shore power, you can turn off each individual ckt breaker.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:35 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
-is that normal??
For my 2016, Yes. All 120V circuits, including the DC CO Detector, LPG Detector, Battery Isolation Manager, Solar controller, Magnum Inverter will still have power even if the House Main is turned off.
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
For my 2016, Yes. All 120V circuits, including the DC CO Detector, LPG Detector, Battery Isolation Manager, Solar controller, Magnum Inverter will still have power even if the House Main is turned off.
MUDDY - Just to add to MCRIDER (and confusion), "NORMAL" is different from one MY to another MY. See my previous post #5. There are items that fall within universally normal (like lights, tv, charger, solar controller, etc) but then there are year-to-year differences (like propane detector - turns off in mine with Disconnect switch)