Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2016, 08:55 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Dura Flame Logs

We use Dura Flame logs while glamping. We do not cook over a camp fire so an evening fire is just for the mood/enjoyment. Occasionally there is no firewood for purchase at the campsites. Of course, you do not bring wood from another ecosystem into another for obvious reasons. Dura flame logs work well for us as they are clean, easily transportable, and start easily.
Each spring Wallyworld puts them on sale. I picked up the 4 cases, six logs per case, of the 3 hour logs for $8 per box. I believe the the normal cost is about
$12/case. Just giving you guys a heads-up, they are on their end-of-season sale price.
Fire One Up,
Road Jager
Old 03-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
You can also cut chunks out of them and use them for fire starters (they sell smaller "sticks" as fire starters too). Especially helpful since the majority of campground wood is wet and unseasoned 😕

I get that states don't want you transporting bugs across borders - but is it asking so much for campgrounds to stock seasoned fire wood? At $5-7 per bundle, I'd like something that isn't a smoke fest 😃

(Totally first world problem - I know)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Please don't burn those things. We camped at a campground where someone did that and the toxic fumes were awful. Those should be banned in open fires, especially in camp grounds. It is basically a wax log and all the carcinogens that go with it. Be considerate of others and the environment. Camp fires can be bad enough without burning something that smells like toxic garbage burning.

A better option would be a propane powered fire pit.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:24 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I am sorry you had a bad experience with a fellow camper. Are you sure what they were burning? We have had no negative smells or high smoke levels from our use of Dura Flame logs. I have gone to the manufacturer's website and read their environmental statement which is very positive as one would expect from the products manufacturer. I traditionally do not believe a manufacturer of a product and look further. Please check this out:
https://www3.epa.gov/ttnchie1/confer.../poster/li.pdf
Ref. the conclusions and table12. They compare emissions to a cordwood fire. You will be enlightened with the results. Also:http://www.science20.com/science_mot...zy_winter_fire
My wife and I are very aware of environmental issues. These logs are no exception.
Manufactured logs have progressed over the years. Once again it would be interesting to know what your neighbor camper was burning. At this point I will continue to burn these logs because of the convience, cleanliness, and minimal environmental impact in all categories. If I am camping and you or any other camper are effected by my low emission camp fire, I will be a good neighbor and only burn when wind conditions will not impact my neighbor.
Road Jager
Old 03-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
RoadJager - thanks for the tip. I think I'll start carrying a few of these logs if for nothing else to use as fire starter.

The best experience I've had regarding campground firewood was in the Jasper Canadian Park last summer. The fire ban was just lifted and you had to buy a daily "fire permit" for $5CND. That permit entitled you to UNLIMITED use of the fire wood stacked all over the park. It was a sweet deal

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I bought a box of 6. Still have 5 left after a couple of years. The smell was so bad one was enough for me. I will take real wood any day over these wax chunks.
I have seen a version at wallyworld for sale that the maker claims use no wax, is healthier and safe for cooking. Might have to buy a couple and give them a try.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Dura Flame Logs

Another option might be these log self-burning grills. A little pricey but very convenient:
http://burniegrill.com

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Reality is, no matter what you do, someone ain't going to like it.

The smart move is just to do your thing and not worry about it.

And hey, if you don't like that attitude.. Well..............

Talis gentium ceciderunt.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:45 PM   #9
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Burning an old tire provides a nicer smell!
Burn real wood or nothing at. Those things are really terrible!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
RoadJager - thanks for the tip. I think I'll start carrying a few of these logs if for nothing else to use as fire starter.

The best experience I've had regarding campground firewood was in the Jasper Canadian Park last summer. The fire ban was just lifted and you had to buy a daily "fire permit" for $5CND. That permit entitled you to UNLIMITED use of the fire wood stacked all over the park. It was a sweet deal

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
We camped at 2 Jacks Lake outside Banff a few times; similar experience; Canadians stacked wood in our camp site each day, and we could help ourselves to all we wanted not far from our site, when out. Clean restrooms twice a day; elk in the campsite at night, loons in the morning, and Banff 5 min drive for that "European" morning pastry and coffee, if you want...excellent camping in Canada! Only comment, you can't take the wood out of Canada; we had a full bed we collected, and had to empty when crossing the border...then get back in line at the back to cross...lesson learned! Have not tried these fake logs....but I am also tired of the un-seasoned smoky wood they sell most places...will give the new logs a try this summer...can go broke buying wood anymore!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote