Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2020, 12:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Dual tire replacement

I'm so sick of the way the rear dual tires are set upon my 2018 Interstate. I want good valve stems with length for easy access both for airing and for placing the tire minders. The inner stem is too flimsy, I can't even put the tire minder on it. The outer tire stem is practically in the rim. I can usually put air in my own tires...not these. Today at Mercedes, they overfilled after great difficulty, then said they had to take tires off to deflate, then wanted to charge me $140. I had to tell them, take the tire minder off, slowly screw it back on to allow a leak and let the air out. What tires do people usually get and what do I need to say to get them set up where this is no longer an ordeal. I prefer Michelin on my cars. And can a regular tire place get my 24 foot rig up on a lift. Mercedes had pumped my tires up to 80psi telling me I was wrong at 61 psi until I showed them tire specs on door sticker. They said they never look at the door sticker!
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:02 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Madison , WISCONSIN
I'm sorry to hear about your experience at the MB dealer. I guess I'm fortunate. After I got my van I ordered metal valve stems all around. When to my local dealer, they have a separate Sprinter van servicing unit at the dealership. They changed out the valve stems, balanced all the wheels and the aligned the front-end. With the new valve stems I easily mounted my tire pressure sensors and everything has worked well ever since. It didn't cost that much, and what it did cost has paid dividends in tire wear, handling, safety, and convivence.

I am still OK with my existing (original) tires but will likely replace them with Michelin either after my fall trip or next spring after my winter trip depending on wear.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:55 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Western , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
I'm so sick of the way the rear dual tires are set upon my 2018 Interstate. I want good valve stems with length for easy access both for airing and for placing the tire minders.
I feel your pain. Below is a link to metal valve stems. I suggest you call this company to be sure these fit your van. They need to know year and type of wheels. If Alcoa are both rear wheels, or is the inside wheel steel.

https://yourtireshopsupply.com/produ...-valve-dl1spal
TN Princess is offline   Reply With Quote