Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2018, 09:17 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Swanton , Vermont
Driving in high wind

We're heading to Florida from Vermont on Friday. Forecast is calling for some pretty high winds for Friday....20-30 mph with gusts up to 40. I'd love to hear from folks about how their AI drives in high wind situations. This is our first trip. Thanks!
VermontKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
We've encountered some high winds - both crosswind and headwinds - recently on our trip. Crosswinds are the biggest concern and you will feel other trucks, traffic and landmarks as you encounter them. Assuming you have a good sway control hitch (we have a Blue Ox SwayPro) you shouldn't have too much of an issue. We slowed down from 65 to 60 and I think most importantly, don't overreact to buffeting as you encounter it and concentrate on your driving more than usual to anticipate when you will get pushed a little.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:39 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Swanton , Vermont
Thanks for the tips! I'm new to posting...but have been reading forum posts for the last year....so really appreciate the experience represented here. Ours is the Interstate...class B...so won't be dealing with hitch issues. According to the weather maps, which seem to change by the minute, we'll be dealing with a lot of crosswinds as we head down I-87, as well as some possible snow. Mostly rain and wind at this point though.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Best advice for wind is use your best personal judgment. My husband and I have an older Interstate (no electronic assists), and depending on the nature of the winds, I've had to drop down to 45 mph on some occasions. If it feels too unstable, then it IS too unstable.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Best advice I can give is SLOW DOWN when the wind gets really bad. The Interstate has enough surface area to feel strong side gusts, but I was surprised how well it behaves. I hit some wind going across Utah and Nevada that was knocking semis over and it rocked the Interstate pretty good but slowing down made all the difference.

Also, since you have a 2018, check out the thread on this forum talking about a recall that adds Crosswind Assist to the 3500 Sprinter. Call your local MB Sprinter dealer and see if your VIN number qualifies for the update, and if it does, get it done before you leave for added safety and security.

EDIT: Found it, check here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ll-177439.html
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2023 20' Caravel
Maple Valley , Washington
We have the same AI and just had to come home in 25-30 mph cross winds. A little scary and I had to hold on tight, but just slowed down when it got gusty. InterBlog is correct, if it feels too windy, then it is!
Semmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Keep your speed moderate, plenty of distance between you and whatever trucks are around, and if the wind feels to be batting you around pull off and stop.

You not only have your own rig to deal with, but others on the road who can also be impacted by high winds... who can then impact you.

Might also consider a route other than the major interstates, where there may be more to block the wind.

Have a great trip!

Maggie
Old 02-28-2018, 11:19 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Swanton , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Best advice I can give is SLOW DOWN when the wind gets really bad. The Interstate has enough surface area to feel strong side gusts, but I was surprised how well it behaves. I hit some wind going across Utah and Nevada that was knocking semis over and it rocked the Interstate pretty good but slowing down made all the difference.

Also, since you have a 2018, check out the thread on this forum talking about a recall that adds Crosswind Assist to the 3500 Sprinter. Call your local MB Sprinter dealer and see if your VIN number qualifies for the update, and if it does, get it done before you leave for added safety and security.

EDIT: Found it, check here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ll-177439.html
Thanks so much!

(Couldn't get that link to work but did find it. Kept taking me to another post.)
This one works. http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177439

I'll see if our VIN is included.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:36 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Swanton , Vermont
So we do have a safety recall associated with our VIN. Would have been nice to receive a letter letting us know! Thank you FlyFishinRVr for the heads up!
Old 02-28-2018, 12:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontKelly View Post
So we do have a safety recall associated with our VIN. Would have been nice to receive a letter letting us know! Thank you FlyFishinRVr for the heads up!
That's great news! Hopefully they can get you in and get it done before your trip. My understanding is it's a pretty quick update.

Once done, it should give you some peace of mind that in addition to the computer on your shoulders, there's one under the hood helping to keep things under control.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #11
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
White knuckle = stop for the day!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:53 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Swanton , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Good advice!
Old 02-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Swanton , Vermont
Quote:
That's great news! Hopefully they can get you in and get it done before your trip. My understanding is it's a pretty quick update.

Once done, it should give you some peace of mind that in addition to the computer on your shoulders, there's one under the hood helping to keep things under control.
Appointment for 7 AM tomorrow. Apparently there is a second thing to take care of as well, although it didn't show up on the recall site when I entered the VIN, but it did when they checked.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontKelly View Post
Appointment for 7 AM tomorrow. Apparently there is a second thing to take care of as well, although it didn't show up on the recall site when I entered the VIN, but it did when they checked.
Nice!

You should be all set for your trip then. Just remember, the electronic aids are there to assist, so you'll still need to slow down and go at a comfortable pace if the wind/weather gets dodgy.

Safe travels!
Old 02-28-2018, 03:21 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Westerville , Ohio
You will feel the wind for sure, but you should feel confident in handling the gusts. Just be ready. I thought our AI handle quite well. One thing that did happen is that whenever there were some strong gusts and we felt the van sway, we got a warning light for the stability control (can't remember exactly what it's called). At any rate, nothing to worry about. It will reset when you stop and turn off the engine. For some reason, the system senses something amiss under high crosswinds and turns on the warning light. Not much explanation in the manual of course. Ours is a 2012.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Northern , California
One thing I forgot to mention earlier. The door panel on the Interstate gives the recommended tire pressure as something like 61psi. I found that the van handles with much less sway and feels much more "glued to the road" with the tires set to 70psi. The max cold pressure listed on the tire sidewall is 80psi, so this is still well under it's max rating, and given the improved handling, this is where I keep mine. I've read where others have reported that this higher tire pressure has also eliminated uneven tread wear, so it might be something for you to try on your upcoming trip.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:48 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Swanton , Vermont
Thank you all for your help today. We are still in limbo as to whether we will leave on Friday or not....some forecasts are now calling for 6+ inches of snow. That, along with the winds would make for a very tense first day of driving. To add to the indecision, we have an 8am appointment at Albany RV on Friday morning on our way south to adjust our awning. When it is closing the last 2 or 3 inches, it sounds like there's a cat stuck in the mechanism. A very unhappy cat. Anyone else have this sound/problem and know how to fix it?
Old 02-28-2018, 05:48 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Swanton , Vermont
Quote:
One thing I forgot to mention earlier. The door panel on the Interstate gives the recommended tire pressure as something like 61psi. I found that the van handles with much less sway and feels much more "glued to the road" with the tires set to 70psi. The max cold pressure listed on the tire sidewall is 80psi, so this is still well under it's max rating, and given the improved handling, this is where I keep mine. I've read where others have reported that this higher tire pressure has also eliminated uneven tread wear, so it might be something for you to try on your upcoming trip.
Great tip! We will do some experimenting.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:36 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
We have a 2011 non-ext AI that was scary to drive in 30 mph winds. Like Aircruiser, we would get the "Visit Workshop" stability warning with big gusts. I've spent quite a bit of money on heavier swaybar, Koni shocks, SumoSprings, tires and cumulatively they solved that problem. All that said, my impression from reading comments from owners of newer models (which are all extended) is that wind handling is much improved, especially for the air suspension equipped AIs. As others have said, slow down, be wary of entering and exiting overpasses and underpasses, and you'll be fine. Another thing to consider, there have been multiple reports of unintended awning deployment in windy conditions. I secure mine with a loop of Velcro unless I'm using it. It's kind of a pain to mess with but beats the alternative.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
This is pretty much we had to do. Left NH Jan 3rd and ran smack dab into the blizzard. Wind blowing us all over the road. slowed down to forty and it was still pretty hairy. Ended up pulling off at a PA welcome center to sit the storm out.

Didn't seem to bother the truckers any though.

I describe our adventure.

https://streamin-in-shiny.com/2018/0...lone-in-shiny/

Larry
devilsbox is offline   Reply With Quote