RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-20-2020, 12:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Fort Collins , Colorado
DPF - Diesel Particle Filter on Interstate 19 (2021)

My console indicated a reading of 28 on the Diesel Particle Filter, can anyone explain what the reading means, and what to watch out for?
mikealevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:16 PM   #2
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Clueless but what does your owners manual say?
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:36 PM   #3
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
The clueless was on my part. Neither of my diesels have that system.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:02 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
It probably means a 28% soot load in the filter. When the filter gets to about 80% the system will regenerate and the soot load will drop back to around 15%. If you watch the reading while driving and it goes up, then that's a dead giveaway. The DPF will generally clean itself about once every 700 to 800 miles and varies depending on the vehicle and the type of driving.
tbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:49 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrowne View Post
It probably means a 28% soot load in the filter. When the filter gets to about 80% the system will regenerate and the soot load will drop back to around 15%. If you watch the reading while driving and it goes up, then that's a dead giveaway. The DPF will generally clean itself about once every 700 to 800 miles and varies depending on the vehicle and the type of driving.
Absolutely correct. I would suggest you read you owner's manual, at least about the pollution equipment. All trucks since 2016 have been equipped with systems to cut down on pollution. If your truck goes into regeneration, in which the engine will run hotter to heat up the soot filter and catalysts to burn off soot and other particulates which are caught (as designed) in the exhaust system. You do need to make sure you keep your DEF tank full.

Also there is no delete for the pollution and DEF systems. EPA has either shut down or placed very heavy fines on shops which did deletes. And those who have done it are liable for major fines if caught.

If you do a standing (parked) regen, which the truck computer will do if needed, you need to be aware from anything burnable (grass, paper, leaves, etc) due to the extremely hot exhaust system and tailpipe. Also the manual states to have at least 1/8 (better 1/4) tank of fuel, since a standing regen will burn through fuel.

I have just purchased a 2020 F-250 6.7L and have checked out a number of youtube sites to learn about my specific engine. One bit of information is if I'm driving at least 35mph and need a regen, the truck will do it while I'm driving for at least 20 minutes. However it will not effect my mpg too much since the truck is running.

After over 50 years of driving gassers, I'm learning a whole new system with this diesel. Taking the time to read the manual and check out youtube sites will save you money and headaches down the line.
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:03 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2019 ​Interstate Nineteen
SARASOTA , Florida
I agree, read the manual. I set my DEF monitor/alert to half full and add the 2 gal Blue Def additive that I purchase from Walmart-good price. My particulate count goes to 98 and then burns off and goes to 0. This cycle depends on your driving/idling conditions.
Ron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:47 AM   #7

Airstream - Other
2021 Interstate 19
Newtown , PA
When you say "keep your DEF tank full" I assume that you mean "keep your DEF tank from running low," correct?
Jeff AI-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Yes, that is what was meant. The computer will go into limp mode if you run out of DEF as an incentive to add some and to prevent the injector from plugging off. DEF is used to reduce NOx back to nitrogen. NOx compounds are a primary contributor to the brown photochemical "smog". DEF (urea) is not part of particle (soot) reduction and plays no roll in the particle filter or burning off the soot.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Mikealeavy, if you Google “Mercedes Sprinter DPF Problems” you’ll find a lot of information. Here’s one site where a Mercedes mechanic explains what a DPF is and possible problems.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Mikealeavy, if you Google “Mercedes Sprinter DPF Problems” you’ll find a lot of information. Here’s one site where a Mercedes mechanic explains what a DPF is and possible problems.
Thanks for that link to the DPF article from Australia. One of the best I've read in years.

I monitor my DPF regenerations with an UltraGauge connected to the ODBII data port. I've got over 130,000 miles on my Sprinter and have had no DPF issues. I've probably only had to interrupt the regeneration about 6 times. I've driven a few extra miles on occasion to be sure the regeneration is complete when the exhaust temperature drops from 1200 degF to the normal range of 500-700 degF.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Clueless but what does your owners manual say?
Mercedes finally started to put this info into the newer vans but they don't tell the owner anything about it or how to interpret the info which is in line with the automakers (especially VW and Mercedes) policy of not wanting the emissions system to interfere in any way with the operator's driving experience for fear of lost sales. The owners who take the time to learn how to maximize the efficiency of the regeneration events will no doubt benefit in fewer problems and longer engine and exhaust/SCR component life.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Mercedes finally started to put this info into the newer vans but they don't tell the owner anything about it or how to interpret the info which is in line with the automakers (especially VW and Mercedes) policy of not wanting the emissions system to interfere in any way with the operator's driving experience for fear of lost sales. The owners who take the time to learn how to maximize the efficiency of the regeneration events will no doubt benefit in fewer problems and longer engine and exhaust/SCR component life.
I agree with you. Mercedes has been just terrible at keeping an owner informed about the DEP and SCR systems. Other manufacturers have done a much better job, including offering driver controls to force a DPF regeneration.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:58 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
A word of caution - don't keep the DEF tank full if you live in a colder climate where freezing is a concern. Water expands when it's frozen and a full DEF tank can burst if it freezes. DEF is 67.5% water and the DEF solution freezes at 12° F. My owner's manual states not to top off the DEF tank in cold weather. You might want to check yours.
tbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
More on freezing. The tanks are flexible so freezing won't crack them unless completely filled. They also have a heater so they thaw out when in operation, and then they take about 2 days to freeze solid. So as advised fill them no more than 88% (water expands 12% when frozen).
Old 11-29-2020, 02:36 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
And whatever you do make sure you never put diesel in the DEF tank or put DEF in the diesel tank.

Excellent way to find yourself stuck and with one very large repair bill!!!!!
Old 11-29-2020, 03:42 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
Freightliner warranty manager here, never let it go into limp mode , and always keep the level up. If you get the dreaded CEL, for def, check fluid level, if full, remove the tank sensor, and soak in warm water. The urea chyrstalizes and will not allow the float to move, causing error messages. And it is true, big dollars if you mix
Flht2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
No guarantees, but I suspect (and fervently hope) that MB has designed some air space that is trapped above the level of a full tank to provide expansion room when frozen.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:50 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
No guarantees, but I suspect (and fervently hope) that MB has designed some air space that is trapped above the level of a full tank to provide expansion room when frozen.

Or just never spend the winter up north. And BTW, up north keeps moving further north each year!