Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2019, 12:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
HOUSTON , Texas
Dometic AC drain clog

I am having condensation drain on roof of 2018 Airstream Interstate GT. I have read several threads regarding this and believe I have clogged drip cup drain lines. I attempted to remove the Dometic AC's interior cover and found all 6 as per several posts and a picture. But the cover will not come off and seems to be attached just aft of the two side vents as described in other posts. Looking inside the side vents I do not see any screws. If there are still two screws behind these vents how do these side vents pop out?

Also where does the drain tube exit the Airstream. I thought I found the exit behind the right rear tires in the form of a 1/2 red plastic tube. But when I tried to snake it with stiff plastic weed eater line I got about five inches and ran into something very solid and plastic sounding. I think I have found a low point drain for the fresh water system instead. Can someone please tell me where he AC drain tube exits?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

John1048
John1048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Unless Airstream started doing things differently there is no drain line to unclog. The condensate simply drains unto the roof.
gmillerok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
Unless Airstream started doing things differently there is no drain line to unclog. The condensate simply drains unto the roof.
Huh, they have had drain lines since......a very long time.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1048 View Post
I am having condensation drain on roof of 2018 Airstream Interstate GT. I have read several threads regarding this and believe I have clogged drip cup drain lines. I attempted to remove the Dometic AC's interior cover and found all 6 as per several posts and a picture. But the cover will not come off and seems to be attached just aft of the two side vents as described in other posts. Looking inside the side vents I do not see any screws. If there are still two screws behind these vents how do these side vents pop out?

Also where does the drain tube exit the Airstream. I thought I found the exit behind the right rear tires in the form of a 1/2 red plastic tube. But when I tried to snake it with stiff plastic weed eater line I got about five inches and ran into something very solid and plastic sounding. I think I have found a low point drain for the fresh water system instead. Can someone please tell me where he AC drain tube exits?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

John1048
Usually streetside pretty much in an imaginary vertical line from the a/c unit. It is usually white in color, like the fridge drain. Mine is in the wheel well at front.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-04-2019, 02:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Usually streetside pretty much in an imaginary vertical line from the a/c unit. It is usually white in color, like the fridge drain. Mine is in the wheel well at front.
Oops, sorry I always read "gt" as globetrotters, not a mh. Sorry.

Old 05-04-2019, 03:08 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

HOUSTON , Texas
Maybe I am incorrect. I been reading posts on the forums regarding drain lines for the Dometic AC but they are from owners of trailers, not I believe from from any motorhome owners. Could I get a confirmation on this issue please?

John1048
Old 05-04-2019, 04:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I am quite certain that Airstream does not put a drain line on the rooftop A/C on any Interstate model, including yours.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:40 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

HOUSTON , Texas
Thank you very much for your help. At least that saves me having to tear into the AC. I am very surprised at that. If they do it for the trailers I would have thought the same would be true for the motor homes. Does anyone report any problems associated with condensate draining onto roof such as getting inside the AS? I just bought this Interstate in December and just now beginning to use the AC. I am in Gulf Coast Texas and do most of my camping here in Texas. Even this early in the year the humidity is horrendous and the amount of condensate is considerable.

Thank you again,
John1048

John1048
Old 05-04-2019, 10:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
It won’t cause any problems. Think rain, but man made.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:41 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

HOUSTON , Texas
gmillerok1 is absolutely correct. Received confirmation from AS support that condensation does indeed drain onto the roof and there are no drain tubes as on trailers. A bit messy in dusty conditions but I can live with it.