Old 08-13-2019, 03:10 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
I have an Interstate 19 with 4 wheel drive. Bought it in California, drove it home to Washington State. Used the 4x4 to get into my driveway upon delivery! Don't really plan on driving it too much in the snow, mostly because of the nasty deicer that eats exposed wiring. BUT one thing is for sure, one probably will NOT drag their macerator, generator, hose reel, generator etc over a speed bump! The 4x4 19' is over 4 inches taller in the front and over 3.5 inches taller in the rear. This allows plenty of room to reset your generator breaker, and get to anything under the van without jacks. I even had to do a campsite repair to a failed grey water dump valve without jacks or ramps. Oh, and I did use the 4x4 function to get to my camping site at Oshkosh Airventure this year!!! 3 of my friends had to wait outside until the mud dried up!

1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:13 PM   #62
SWH
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Cordova , Tennessee
I have seen a lot of people cite the increased ride height / ground clearance as a benefit to 4wd, and I can see the benefits. But I am equally concerned about possible disadvantages of increased ride height on the van's center of gravity. For those of you who have driven 4WD and 2WD Interstates, does the van feel any less stable or handle any worse at highway speeds? We are considering ordering a 2021 Interstate and I am leaning towards getting 4WD... if the only downside is cost, then we'll probably take the plunge and get it, assuming we'll likely recover most of the additional cost when we eventually trade/sell it.

The only other downside is reduced OCCC as we are planning to also order leveling jacks. 4WD reduces by 275 lbs and leveling jacks reduces by another 240 lbs. But that still leaves 1375 lbs OCCC which seems reasonable (and still better than an Atlas that has neither 4WD or leveling jacks).

SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #63
SWH
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Cordova , Tennessee
This article is definitely making me think twice about opting for 4WD: https://ourkaravan.com/4x4_sprinter_and_transit_vans/

Sounds like marginal benefit for substantial cost and significant loss of OCCC.
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:32 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Last November we came back thru Utah on very snowy and icy roads. We have the Ext pulling a toad. I was very impressed with the solidness of the coach. We traveled at speed with no slippage. This is from someone who lived his first 50 years living in Montana with its icy winters and driving on icy roads in a variety of vehicles, some 4 wheel and many not.

I have a 4 wheel drive pickup which is nice for mountain hunting. We have a 4 wheel drive Acadia for general use. I have not felt the need for for a 4 wheel drive coach. Of course I don’t plan to climb mountains with mine.

How will you honestly use it? It really comes back to that.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:29 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Roanoke , Virginia
Nice to know how well the coaches do. Four wheel drive is definitely necessary is some parts of the country. Around here, in SW Virginia, it can be so muddy in the spring (nearly 60 inches of rain this past year) that I often need 4WD. There is also little flat ground. Our own driveway has a steep grade. The west is definitely dryer. But, there was a horribly muddy trailhead at Zion and we needed 4WD to get out of there, and we didn’t even venture down the road as far as others. We actually are moving west to be closer to our sons who live in Seattle and are thinking of switching to a coach for meandering around looking for a new place to live.
Rovin Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:24 AM   #66
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Occasionally you will pull up and find that the campsite you reserved is all grass (no paving / no gravel). That may make for a slippery entry / exit from the site. If the tail end of a hurricane just happens to be going over at the time .. it *will* be a slippery entry / exit.

(Yes, this did happen to us ...The F-250 handled it just fine.).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:23 AM   #67
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Orange Springs , Florida
You may never need it

I remember being in a Ford dealership looking at Expeditions while trying to figure out the best choice for towing a fairly large fishing boat (younger days), the particular dealer didn’t have a 4WD in stock but had several 2WD models available. The salesman’s theory was “you would only use 4WD rarely “, I agreed but pointed out that if you need it and don’t have it.... that conversation has stuck in my mind over the years and I have always had a 4WD work or recreational vehicle while my “go to the store” vehicles have MOSTLY been 2WD.
SPARKLE19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:25 AM   #68
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKLE19 View Post
I remember being in a Ford dealership looking at Expeditions while trying to figure out the best choice for towing a fairly large fishing boat (younger days), the particular dealer didn’t have a 4WD in stock but had several 2WD models available. The salesman’s theory was “you would only use 4WD rarely “, I agreed but pointed out that if you need it and don’t have it.... that conversation has stuck in my mind over the years and I have always had a 4WD work or recreational vehicle while my “go to the store” vehicles have MOSTLY been 2WD.
Hi

Around here, if you want to buy a truck (at least one with a tow package on it), forget about buying a new 2WD off the dealer's lot. Even with a 600 mile radius search (which covers a lot of dealers ...) you probably will not have any luck. They simply don't stock 2WD in anything but the base / no options versions.

Bob
Old 08-01-2020, 07:42 AM   #69
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Just because it's 4wd doesn't guarantee you won't get stuck, shiftable low range transfer case, VERY important.

Bob
🇺🇸

Three TV's all with low 4wd...TETO
YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5B0FF1F4-82AF-48BA-974E-093000B62EAD_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	374559   Click image for larger version

Name:	AB99360E-9BB0-4BBE-B5C2-2655E176A088_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	374560  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0206F827-6F61-4C39-9E0F-B6ABC79B7720_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	374561  

"Worry...a brain exercise done when it really wants to sleep"
RLC

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:41 AM   #70
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Just because it's 4wd doesn't guarantee you won't get stuck, shiftable low range transfer case, VERY important.

Bob
🇺🇸

Three TV's all with low 4wd...TETO
YMMV
Hi

A lockable rear axle is a cheap option on most models. It's well worth the money, 4WD or not.

Bob
Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Depends on where you live and where you want to camp at. I can see it handy at times, like the person who stayed at the air show in Oshkosh, but personally, I do not think it is necessary for where we stay. The Interstate weights almost 9,000 to 10,000 lbs. (correct me if I’m wrong). It’s not like it’s a 4 wheeling truck you are going to go off-roading with. If it has it, great, but I personally wouldn’t make it a deal-breaker if it doesn’t. Unless, like I said, you travel in the mountains a lot, need to camp off grid and off road, or possibly drive through a lot of snow. Although I dream of opening the back doors to wake with a mountain in the background, I would probably freak to drive my $$$$ Interstate through grass scratching the paint job to do so! They get pretty cold and the water freezes in anything below 32 degrees. There are members who camp and drive through snow, so maybe they’d have a different opinion though.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Hooper , Utah
4X4 are great if you have a need. I pull my trailer up 10 - 18 degree slopes to my property in the mountains. It is necessary! Remember, you only drive in 4X4 at speeds under about 25 - 30 MPH. You do not drive on freeways in 4X4 mode. You drive on dirt and gravel roads because the front end slips/jumps when you make turns.
albret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:40 AM   #73
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
Depends on where you live and where you want to camp at. I can see it handy at times, like the person who stayed at the air show in Oshkosh, but personally, I do not think it is necessary for where we stay. The Interstate weights almost 9,000 to 10,000 lbs. (correct me if I’m wrong). It’s not like it’s a 4 wheeling truck you are going to go off-roading with. If it has it, great, but I personally wouldn’t make it a deal-breaker if it doesn’t. Unless, like I said, you travel in the mountains a lot, need to camp off grid and off road, or possibly drive through a lot of snow. Although I dream of opening the back doors to wake with a mountain in the background, I would probably freak to drive my $$$$ Interstate through grass scratching the paint job to do so! They get pretty cold and the water freezes in anything below 32 degrees. There are members who camp and drive through snow, so maybe they’d have a different opinion though.
Hi

Ok, so here's another story:

Google maps, our GPS, and the (non-existent) directions to the campsite all agreed that "turn here and go there" was the right approach.

We're in the Florida panhandle, nearest mountain is a *long* way away. Flat flat flat and flat are the main types of topography (also wet, but that comes a bit later).

Start down the road and it's not too bad. Pretty much your typical rural road. Been on a lot of them getting the "last mile" to here or there. Further we go the worse it gets. Seems the hurricane washed out this and that. It starts to vary between sand, mud, and "pond". No place to turn around. Not backing up 5 miles down a road with traffic on it (no we were not the only ones with GPS issues ... also seems to be some construction traffic .... hmmm ....).

Into 4WD low / lock the rear axle and proceed for .... another 15 miles. Pass various construction vehicles repairing this or that part of the road. Get a lot of strange looks from the crews. See various vehicles abandoned by the side of the road.

You can say "Bob, don't go out driving in a hurricane with your Airstream !!". That's good advice. The hurricane involved had come through 5 months earlier. They still had a *lot* of repairs to do ....

Bob