Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-13-2019, 03:10 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member
 
Spokane , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 67
I have an Interstate 19 with 4 wheel drive. Bought it in California, drove it home to Washington State. Used the 4x4 to get into my driveway upon delivery! Don't really plan on driving it too much in the snow, mostly because of the nasty deicer that eats exposed wiring. BUT one thing is for sure, one probably will NOT drag their macerator, generator, hose reel, generator etc over a speed bump! The 4x4 19' is over 4 inches taller in the front and over 3.5 inches taller in the rear. This allows plenty of room to reset your generator breaker, and get to anything under the van without jacks. I even had to do a campsite repair to a failed grey water dump valve without jacks or ramps. Oh, and I did use the 4x4 function to get to my camping site at Oshkosh Airventure this year!!! 3 of my friends had to wait outside until the mud dried up!
1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:13 PM   #62
SWH
3 Rivet Member
 
2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 157
I have seen a lot of people cite the increased ride height / ground clearance as a benefit to 4wd, and I can see the benefits. But I am equally concerned about possible disadvantages of increased ride height on the van's center of gravity. For those of you who have driven 4WD and 2WD Interstates, does the van feel any less stable or handle any worse at highway speeds? We are considering ordering a 2021 Interstate and I am leaning towards getting 4WD... if the only downside is cost, then we'll probably take the plunge and get it, assuming we'll likely recover most of the additional cost when we eventually trade/sell it.

The only other downside is reduced OCCC as we are planning to also order leveling jacks. 4WD reduces by 275 lbs and leveling jacks reduces by another 240 lbs. But that still leaves 1375 lbs OCCC which seems reasonable (and still better than an Atlas that has neither 4WD or leveling jacks).
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #63
SWH
3 Rivet Member
 
2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 157
This article is definitely making me think twice about opting for 4WD: https://ourkaravan.com/4x4_sprinter_and_transit_vans/

Sounds like marginal benefit for substantial cost and significant loss of OCCC.
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:32 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 99
Last November we came back thru Utah on very snowy and icy roads. We have the Ext pulling a toad. I was very impressed with the solidness of the coach. We traveled at speed with no slippage. This is from someone who lived his first 50 years living in Montana with its icy winters and driving on icy roads in a variety of vehicles, some 4 wheel and many not.

I have a 4 wheel drive pickup which is nice for mountain hunting. We have a 4 wheel drive Acadia for general use. I have not felt the need for for a 4 wheel drive coach. Of course I donít plan to climb mountains with mine.

How will you honestly use it? It really comes back to that.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:29 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member
 
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Roanoke , Virginia
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 81
Nice to know how well the coaches do. Four wheel drive is definitely necessary is some parts of the country. Around here, in SW Virginia, it can be so muddy in the spring (nearly 60 inches of rain this past year) that I often need 4WD. There is also little flat ground. Our own driveway has a steep grade. The west is definitely dryer. But, there was a horribly muddy trailhead at Zion and we needed 4WD to get out of there, and we didn’t even venture down the road as far as others. We actually are moving west to be closer to our sons who live in Seattle and are thinking of switching to a coach for meandering around looking for a new place to live.
Rovin Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:24 AM   #66
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 9,296
Hi

Occasionally you will pull up and find that the campsite you reserved is all grass (no paving / no gravel). That may make for a slippery entry / exit from the site. If the tail end of a hurricane just happens to be going over at the time .. it *will* be a slippery entry / exit.

(Yes, this did happen to us ...The F-250 handled it just fine.).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:23 AM   #67
2 Rivet Member
 
2019 26' Flying Cloud
Orange Springs , Florida
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 40
You may never need it

I remember being in a Ford dealership looking at Expeditions while trying to figure out the best choice for towing a fairly large fishing boat (younger days), the particular dealer didnít have a 4WD in stock but had several 2WD models available. The salesmanís theory was ďyou would only use 4WD rarely ď, I agreed but pointed out that if you need it and donít have it.... that conversation has stuck in my mind over the years and I have always had a 4WD work or recreational vehicle while my ďgo to the storeĒ vehicles have MOSTLY been 2WD.
SPARKLE19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:25 AM   #68
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 9,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKLE19 View Post
I remember being in a Ford dealership looking at Expeditions while trying to figure out the best choice for towing a fairly large fishing boat (younger days), the particular dealer didnít have a 4WD in stock but had several 2WD models available. The salesmanís theory was ďyou would only use 4WD rarely ď, I agreed but pointed out that if you need it and donít have it.... that conversation has stuck in my mind over the years and I have always had a 4WD work or recreational vehicle while my ďgo to the storeĒ vehicles have MOSTLY been 2WD.
Hi

Around here, if you want to buy a truck (at least one with a tow package on it), forget about buying a new 2WD off the dealer's lot. Even with a 600 mile radius search (which covers a lot of dealers ...) you probably will not have any luck. They simply don't stock 2WD in anything but the base / no options versions.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:42 AM   #69
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 17,137
Images: 1
Just because it's 4wd doesn't guarantee you won't get stuck, shiftable low range transfer case, VERY important.

Bob
🇺🇸

Three TV's all with low 4wd...TETO
YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5B0FF1F4-82AF-48BA-974E-093000B62EAD_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	374559   Click image for larger version

Name:	AB99360E-9BB0-4BBE-B5C2-2655E176A088_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	374560  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0206F827-6F61-4C39-9E0F-B6ABC79B7720_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	374561  
__________________
Obrigado, ť hora de descansar.

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:41 AM   #70
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 9,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Just because it's 4wd doesn't guarantee you won't get stuck, shiftable low range transfer case, VERY important.

Bob
🇺🇸

Three TV's all with low 4wd...TETO
YMMV
Hi

A lockable rear axle is a cheap option on most models. It's well worth the money, 4WD or not.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:42 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member
 
Hawk-ination's Avatar
 
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 336
Depends on where you live and where you want to camp at. I can see it handy at times, like the person who stayed at the air show in Oshkosh, but personally, I do not think it is necessary for where we stay. The Interstate weights almost 9,000 to 10,000 lbs. (correct me if Iím wrong). Itís not like itís a 4 wheeling truck you are going to go off-roading with. If it has it, great, but I personally wouldnít make it a deal-breaker if it doesnít. Unless, like I said, you travel in the mountains a lot, need to camp off grid and off road, or possibly drive through a lot of snow. Although I dream of opening the back doors to wake with a mountain in the background, I would probably freak to drive my $$$$ Interstate through grass scratching the paint job to do so! They get pretty cold and the water freezes in anything below 32 degrees. There are members who camp and drive through snow, so maybe theyíd have a different opinion though.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:42 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member
 
2014 27' FB International
Hooper , Utah
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 52
4X4 are great if you have a need. I pull my trailer up 10 - 18 degree slopes to my property in the mountains. It is necessary! Remember, you only drive in 4X4 at speeds under about 25 - 30 MPH. You do not drive on freeways in 4X4 mode. You drive on dirt and gravel roads because the front end slips/jumps when you make turns.
albret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:40 AM   #73
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 9,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
Depends on where you live and where you want to camp at. I can see it handy at times, like the person who stayed at the air show in Oshkosh, but personally, I do not think it is necessary for where we stay. The Interstate weights almost 9,000 to 10,000 lbs. (correct me if Iím wrong). Itís not like itís a 4 wheeling truck you are going to go off-roading with. If it has it, great, but I personally wouldnít make it a deal-breaker if it doesnít. Unless, like I said, you travel in the mountains a lot, need to camp off grid and off road, or possibly drive through a lot of snow. Although I dream of opening the back doors to wake with a mountain in the background, I would probably freak to drive my $$$$ Interstate through grass scratching the paint job to do so! They get pretty cold and the water freezes in anything below 32 degrees. There are members who camp and drive through snow, so maybe theyíd have a different opinion though.
Hi

Ok, so here's another story:

Google maps, our GPS, and the (non-existent) directions to the campsite all agreed that "turn here and go there" was the right approach.

We're in the Florida panhandle, nearest mountain is a *long* way away. Flat flat flat and flat are the main types of topography (also wet, but that comes a bit later).

Start down the road and it's not too bad. Pretty much your typical rural road. Been on a lot of them getting the "last mile" to here or there. Further we go the worse it gets. Seems the hurricane washed out this and that. It starts to vary between sand, mud, and "pond". No place to turn around. Not backing up 5 miles down a road with traffic on it (no we were not the only ones with GPS issues ... also seems to be some construction traffic .... hmmm ....).

Into 4WD low / lock the rear axle and proceed for .... another 15 miles. Pass various construction vehicles repairing this or that part of the road. Get a lot of strange looks from the crews. See various vehicles abandoned by the side of the road.

You can say "Bob, don't go out driving in a hurricane with your Airstream !!". That's good advice. The hurricane involved had come through 5 months earlier. They still had a *lot* of repairs to do ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:11 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member
 
ScottP's Avatar
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Rye , New Hampshire
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 326
Blog Entries: 2
Do I Need 4 Wheel Drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albret View Post
4X4 Remember, you only drive in 4X4 at speeds under about 25 - 30 MPH. You do not drive on freeways in 4X4 mode.


Really?

Thatís an interesting opinion...



Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	375234


Above, Snow Monkeys in Japan north or Sapporo





Oh my, Iíve been doing it all wrong with my last four Airstream Interstate Lounge 4x4ís




Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	375235







I love winter ...
__________________
8 AS Interstate's owned: All Black Lounges
2014, 2014.5, 2015, 2016, 2017 (4x4), 2018 (4x4), 2019 (4x4+air suspension), current is a new 2018 (4x4+air suspension)
2019 AS 27' Globetrotter & 2019 F350 Plat Diesel
Rye, NH and Jackson, WY
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:24 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member
 
ScottP's Avatar
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Rye , New Hampshire
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 326
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
I have seen a lot of people cite the increased ride height / ground clearance as a benefit to 4wd, and I can see the benefits. But I am equally concerned about possible disadvantages of increased ride height on the van's center of gravity. For those of you who have driven 4WD and 2WD Interstates, does the van feel any less stable or handle any worse at highway speeds? We are considering ordering a 2021 Interstate and I am leaning towards getting 4WD... if the only downside is cost, then we'll probably take the plunge and get it, assuming we'll likely recover most of the additional cost when we eventually trade/sell it.



The only other downside is reduced OCCC as we are planning to also order leveling jacks. 4WD reduces by 275 lbs and leveling jacks reduces by another 240 lbs. But that still leaves 1375 lbs OCCC which seems reasonable (and still better than an Atlas that has neither 4WD or leveling jacks).




Drivability -

You should prob test drive a 4wd Interstate*

My opinion is the 4wd Interstate offers a better overall driving experience when compared to a 2wd unit.



* difficult to test drive because theyíre so limited in production. So youíll prob recover much more than the option costs you.



Height increase isnít one of my concerns ... the van is already a ďSAILĒ and I donít know, are we talking about 1% extra height (somebody toss me a calculator please), which is of course negated by the electronics package anyway.

All versions of the Interstate are terrific - if you get out there and enjoy!


YMMV
__________________
8 AS Interstate's owned: All Black Lounges
2014, 2014.5, 2015, 2016, 2017 (4x4), 2018 (4x4), 2019 (4x4+air suspension), current is a new 2018 (4x4+air suspension)
2019 AS 27' Globetrotter & 2019 F350 Plat Diesel
Rye, NH and Jackson, WY
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:19 PM   #76
New Member
 
Currently Looking...
2019 ​Interstate Nineteen
Carefree , Arizona
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 1
Ground Clearence Interstate 19 4x4

Does anyone know the ground clearance for the Interstate 19 4x4?
NormanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:23 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member
 
Tyvekcat's Avatar
 
2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 302
4wd ?

I currently have a 4wd drive truck, but I have always wanted to try a Dodge CTD 2wd dually. Mega cab longbed, would be the bomb !
Smooth riding and stable low center of gravity,
I have seen a few, and wanted to buy a used one with low miles ( Ha Ha)
most are used to pull 5th wheels.
That would be my choice,
Glorious !
2wd would be fine with me if dually
best regards,
__________________
Ra, Chelle & Natasha
For my next trick, I will use my new Airstream & Dodge Ram 2500 CTD to make this pile of money disappear.
Tyvekcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:06 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member
 
ScottP's Avatar
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Rye , New Hampshire
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 326
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvekcat View Post
I currently have a 4wd drive truck, but I have always wanted to try a Dodge CTD 2wd dually. Mega cab longbed, would be the bomb !

Smooth riding and stable low center of gravity,

I have seen a few, and wanted to buy a used one with low miles ( Ha Ha)

most are used to pull 5th wheels.

That would be my choice,

Glorious !

2wd would be fine with me if dually

best regards,



Traction - I agree the dually traction benefit from the 3500 Mercedes Chassis is terrific. Especially with good snow tires, and if necessary, chains.

I trust the FEDEX lead, where they run 2wd (the 2500 chassis) and it seems to work well for them! Even our FEDEX Ground guys in Jackson Wyoming had 2wd 2500 vans.

So Iím not sure for most people itís a required option. But as Iíve mentioned, I prefer the drivability of the 4wd, and yes I employ the option on the highway in heavy rain, and when the roads are snow covered or slick.
__________________
8 AS Interstate's owned: All Black Lounges
2014, 2014.5, 2015, 2016, 2017 (4x4), 2018 (4x4), 2019 (4x4+air suspension), current is a new 2018 (4x4+air suspension)
2019 AS 27' Globetrotter & 2019 F350 Plat Diesel
Rye, NH and Jackson, WY
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:27 AM   #79
Amg
3 Rivet Member
 
2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 149
I have a 2020 Interstate 4x4 lounge. Never heard of limitation of speed while in 4x4. I know there is a limitation while in low range
Amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:32 PM   #80
1 Rivet Member
 
2019 ​Interstate Nineteen
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amg View Post
I have a 2020 Interstate 4x4 lounge. Never heard of limitation of speed while in 4x4. I know there is a limitation while in low range
Same. Dealer said limit it to 50 mph, but manual doesnít say anything. I limited mine to about 50 in a LOT of snow/ice this past year and everything seemed OK. But if anyone has anything from A/S or MB I would like to know.

Most 4x4 driving was under 30 (or typically slower) but did get on the highway a few times.

Was considering some good M+S tires to try and limit my 4x4 usage, so maybe for the upcoming season.
pd_austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 wheel drive vs 4 wheel Jonesuh Tow Vehicles 110 10-22-2018 10:05 PM
Four Wheel Drive or Two Wheel Tow Vehicle? 1cericks1 Tow Vehicles 24 02-01-2009 02:22 PM
Tow vehicle 16' bambi...4 wheel drive needed? jane 2005 and newer - Bambi all models 4 06-08-2006 12:37 PM
Drive vs Over Drive joshua32064 Tow Vehicles 10 10-17-2003 01:25 AM
Front wheel drive ?? ALANSD Airstream Motorhome Forums 14 08-25-2002 12:47 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.