Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2016, 04:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
East Hampton , Connecticut
DIY Security/Alarm Systems?

Hello, I have read through several threads on alarm systems but I still need more info.

I am interested in best options for a simple DIY alarm/security system for my 2012 AI. I want something that warns/indicates that the vehicle is truly alarmed and with an audible alarm with sensors for glass breakage and door tampering. Not interested in remote start and that kind of thing. Will consider tie-in to smart phone.

Again. Looking for DIY. I know I could pay someone to install something but i will end up tinkering with it anyway and i like the confidence I get from DIY and fully understanding the system.

Any suggestions?
CAS138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
No need for anything electronic here...I have a sweet dog with a very big bark.

Maggie
Old 11-10-2016, 06:36 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Maggie,
I like your system but I am thinking about when the vehicle is unattended and family is out and away from it with me. 😊
-Curt
Old 11-10-2016, 07:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I understand, and it of course was a joke.

Truthfully, unless you are parked on a dark night in a high crime area, I believe the threat of your Interstate being burglarized is very, very slim.

They are quite difficult to get into, locked up, is the truth.

I have over 170,000 miles on mine in 9 1/2 years. Never had a problem, not once, and been in all of the lower 48 states....many more than once.

I think the danger is minimal, using common sense precautions.

Maggie
Old 11-10-2016, 07:50 AM   #5
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I don't own an Interstate so take what I say with the proverbial "grain of salt."

Consider looking at Crutchfield - www.crutchfield.com

I looked on their web site and it appears they have alarm systems suitable for Sprinter vehicles. I suggest giving them a call and describing what you're looking for. Everything at Crutchfield is DIY and usually comes with excellent directions, cables, jumpers, wire harnesses, etc. to make the job as easy as possible. Their phone support is better than any other retailer I've encountered.

I've installed a number of audio systems from Crutchfield and most were very straightforward installations. The later model the vehicle the more plug-and-play options you have. A 2012 Sprinter should be straightforward unless the RV aspect of the Interstate compromises or somehow modified the original Mercedes-Benz equipment and that's probably not the case.

Good luck.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:10 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
San Francisco , California
I saw this posted on a RoadTrek blog for interior security:

https://canary.is/canary/?gclid=CjwK...C2PxoCo4bw_wcB

It'll alert you if anyone enters the trailer and allows you to look in on it over video. I've been considering it to monitor the interior, not sure yet what I'll do for the exterior.

-Doug
dougtuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Suggestions will depend on many different factors, including:

- Do you have your rig plugged into shore power while gone?
- Do you have a WiFi signal there?
- Do you want video surveillance or just door/window alarm?
- Do you want remote notifications (smart phone)?
- loud blaring alarm?
- call police?
- all of the above?

The reason I ask is because what you have is a car....and a house.....all in one, so you have the ability to use systems made for either, or both, depending on your situation when you're away from your rig.

With that said, one of the simplest DIY setups I've seen was on a coach that was parked on a person's property and plugged in. They purchased a Nest camera and set it on the kitchen counter facing the front doors. Installation was a simple matter of plugging it into one of the outlets in the kitchen since their rig was always on shore power. They connected it to their home WiFi, and viola, all done! If the camera senses motion or a loud noise like glass breaking, it will alert you via text message and send a picture. If it's nothing, ignore it. If it's something, call police. Simple, effective, and about as easy to install and manage as it gets. BUT....and there's always a BUT....that one scenario is very dependent on how your rig is stored and what you want it to do (and why all of the questions above).
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I've been looking as well. The big stumbling block for me has been the pervasive requirement for shore power. But if I have shore power, that means I'm still within the bounds of ordinary civilization, where I don't need extra security.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:25 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Wow! I am getting a lot of good, helpful thoughts as well as some very fair questions so let me add this: The AI is stored in a rural setting right next to my very secure yard and home. Not worried about this at home. Future trips will primarily be in rural settings, state and federal parks. These are generally very safe areas but certain types of criminals (thieves) target these areas. I am an avid hiker and expect that I might want to leave the AI unattended for afew days at a time.

In the end, I want to make my AI as unattractive to burglars/thieves as possible and do as much as I can to avoid headaches, especially when I am trying to have a great time seeing more of the country. I fully understand that there is no perfect solution but looking for a good balence. Looking for a deterent that will help put my mind at ease and have taken every preaution asside from staying home in my cave.☺
Old 11-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
I wish to add that I truly appreciate every reply. There is a great wealth of knowledge, experiance, humor, wisdom, research, etc. here and it is all appreciated. Right now I am in the fact finding process. I look foreward to more. Thank you all.
-Curt
Old 11-10-2016, 03:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS138 View Post
Wow! I am getting a lot of good, helpful thoughts as well as some very fair questions so let me add this: The AI is stored in a rural setting right next to my very secure yard and home. Not worried about this at home. Future trips will primarily be in rural settings, state and federal parks. These are generally very safe areas but certain types of criminals (thieves) target these areas. I am an avid hiker and expect that I might want to leave the AI unattended for afew days at a time.

In the end, I want to make my AI as unattractive to burglars/thieves as possible and do as much as I can to avoid headaches, especially when I am trying to have a great time seeing more of the country. I fully understand that there is no perfect solution but looking for a good balence. Looking for a deterent that will help put my mind at ease and have taken every preaution asside from staying home in my cave.☺

Given what you've described above, I would recommend a good 'ole car alarm with glass break sensor. Over a couple of days these won't run down your battery hardly at all, are easy to install (most tie into your existing wiring harness), and typically come with a nice big sticker that you can put in the window that will make most thieves move on to easier targets. Mercedes Benz will sell you one specific to the 3500 Sprinter for a very reasonable $164 (comes with alarm control unit and siren and ties in to existing wire harness). Do a search on the net and you will find a bunch for the Sprinter with all sorts of features and functions. [emoji846]
Old 11-11-2016, 12:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I'm looking for temperature and video capabilities because I leave our dog in our Interstate. Hence the shore power limitation.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:03 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
So. I found the suggested retail price, $164.00 Mercedes alarm from the Mercedes Parts Center. They also listed several other alarm components suggesting that the did not sell as a complete system. I emailed my vehicle info and the question: Can I bbuy as a complete system or do I have to prchase the components piece by piece. The answer I got was I the Sprinter did not come origionaly equiped with the alarm they cant help me. What???
Old 11-11-2016, 09:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS138 View Post
So. I found the suggested retail price, $164.00 Mercedes alarm from the Mercedes Parts Center. They also listed several other alarm components suggesting that the did not sell as a complete system. I emailed my vehicle info and the question: Can I bbuy as a complete system or do I have to prchase the components piece by piece. The answer I got was I the Sprinter did not come origionaly equiped with the alarm they cant help me. What???
Call or go down to your local Mercedes Benz dealership that also is an authorized Sprinter dealer/repair facility. They should be able to help you.

If you want more bells and whistles, check out a few of the other choices made for Sprinters (https://www.carid.com/2016-mercedes-...alarm-systems/).
Old 11-11-2016, 10:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I think the bigger issue is having the entire trailer stolen, versus broken into. I have been Researching and settled on a few locks and devices to prevent stealing of the AS:

1. Brahma wheel lock - $240
2. Proven industries hitch lock $280
3. Spot trace GPS - $50 on sale at REI! $10 per month for service

I haven't heard of anyone having the trailer broken into, but you never know. Plenty of stolen trailers.

Thx

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-30-2016, 06:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtuck View Post
I saw this posted on a RoadTrek blog for interior security:

https://canary.is/canary/?gclid=CjwK...C2PxoCo4bw_wcB

It'll alert you if anyone enters the trailer and allows you to look in on it over video. I've been considering it to monitor the interior, not sure yet what I'll do for the exterior.

-Doug
Doug (and others), this morning I put a new comment / question on that Roadtreking post you refer to, and I'm hoping Mike Wendland will weigh in now that he has presumably operated this device for a period of time and therefore has more direct experience with it.

My husband determined that he can convert the Canary to 12 volt, so that solved my original roadblock to the device (we will have lithium and the ability to run it on 120 but it's wasteful to do that).

However, the next potential roadblock is whether or not the manufacturer has improved its motion detector. As CNET said when they panned it in their review, "The over-sensitivity all but renders the thing unusable".

My compound concern with over-sensitivity is that it might be chewing through an unacceptably high volume of cellular data in the process. The thing was optimized for home use, where data consumption is not a concern. But even with periodic, discontinuous usage in a Class B, it might drive up the data and prove to be a very expensive proposition.

Anyway, if I learn more useful stuff from this line of research, I'll post back.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
One more comment on this.

Canary is currently taking pre-orders for a new new product called the Canary Flex. It is similar to the original device but is *battery operated* (with plug-in option) and also weatherproof. Furthermore it has several different mounting options including a hanging gizmo called a "twist mount" which looked intriguing for in-vehicle use.

Customer Service told me that it was designed to be mindful of cellular data consumption, because apparently they anticipated having non-broadband users of this product, unlike their original residential device which is the one the Wendlands purchased. I asked them if they could provide me more details on that, but I haven't heard back yet.

FWIW.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Canary works for us even with the VZW data limit... we are not out that often that it is a huge consideration.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:05 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Canary works for us even with the VZW data limit... we are not out that often that it is a huge consideration.
It's good to hear feedback like this because my husband pointed out to me last night that the Flex version of the device removes the temperature data stream. It has to, in order to be waterproof. I had initially overlooked that omission because I was so focused on whether or not they improved the data issue (bangs head on desk). I need the temperature feed feature for confirmation of conditions during those times when we leave our dog in the rig.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:25 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

We had our 2007 AI (T1N) broken into this Thanksgiving morning at 0130 in front of the Hampton Inn in Fresno, CA. Broke in via passenger wing window. They were scared off by night manager on routine patrol which saved us loss of most of our items. Yesterday, had Viper 3305V system installed. Had them draw power from house battery with siren and lights powered by chassis battery. Sensors tied into door lights and glass breakage audio sensor. Asked them not to tie in door locks into alarm key fob as they could get crossed. No auto start, tilt sensor or other sensors. Have blue LED now blinking on driver dash post. Had dealer install to keep warranty active. Got two-way key fob to alert me if alarm is activated. Going to put 8mm security film on wing windows. System installed less than 24 hrs so time will tell.
Jim
Jbray333 is offline   Reply With Quote