Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2006, 08:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
diesel left running

Is it okay to leave the Interstate running for up to an hour? I trust the ac in the sprinter more than I do the generater in the conversion. I am talkingabout leaving it running while going into a store, etc. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 08:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Leave it running?

Try that here in Texas and it will go to Mexico without you.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:03 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
My motorhome is not like yours, however, I would never trade running my CAT when I can run a 3 cylinder Kabota on the generator I really don't understand why you would 'mistrust' your conversion. If that's the case, I think I would hunt another.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Thumbs up No Problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi
Is it okay to leave the Interstate running for up to an hour? I trust the ac in the sprinter more than I do the generater in the conversion. I am talkingabout leaving it running while going into a store, etc. jim
Hi Jim,

I've left my Sprinter idling with the air on for several hours at a time.......no problems with overheating or anything else. Just DO IT!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:52 AM   #5
JBK
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grand Rapids , Up in the Nort' Woods of Minn.
I give: What's a sprinter?

JB
JBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:24 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
Try that here in Texas and it will go to Mexico without you.
Not to mention it's illegal to leave your car with the keys in or running and unattended. I don't know about the Sprinters, but on the Ford diesels it'll cause some damage due to the egr system sooting up (from what I hear from other owners).
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:52 PM   #7
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBK
I give: What's a sprinter?

JB
Here ya go ...

http://www.airstream.com/product_lin...alia_home.html

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:20 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Overlander
Not to mention it's illegal to leave your car with the keys in or running and unattended. I don't know about the Sprinters, but on the Ford diesels it'll cause some damage due to the egr system sooting up (from what I hear from other owners).
That is true of the newer diesels but not the old first generation PSD's. One of the reasons I have one Dunno about the legality or illegality, I have two keys, one in the ignition when the engine is running the other in my pocket. BTW they are different.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
You can even lock your keys in a running gasser and the load on the cooling system is so much lower than driving that it will run out of gas with not one bit of trouble. Unlike problems caused by frequent starts to earlier generation diesels, I have heard from several good sources that you will cause more problems leaving newer generation diesels running. So I would echo 62 overlander's opinion that the 'olde wisdom' no longer applies. Sounds like you need to make other plans if you leave your spouse or pet inside. Hmm... I never heard of a Sprinter pulling a toad ...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
You can even lock your keys in a running gasser and the load on the cooling system is so much lower than driving that it will run out of gas with not one bit of trouble. Unlike problems caused by frequent starts to earlier generation diesels, I have heard from several good sources that you will cause more problems leaving newer generation diesels running. So I would echo 62 overlander's opinion that the 'olde wisdom' no longer applies. Sounds like you need to make other plans if you leave your spouse or pet inside. Hmm... I never heard of a Sprinter pulling a toad ...
Tow capacity for the van or class B Sprinter conversion is 5000lb. with 500 lb. tongue weight with or without WD. I see no reason why it can't tow a toad within the weight limits. Don't know WHY one would want to as the Sprinter is very manuverable in tight spots, but I guess it's a matter of preference.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:05 AM   #11
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Tow capacity for the van or class B Sprinter conversion is 5000lb. with 500 lb. tongue weight with or without WD. I see no reason why it can't tow a toad within the weight limits.
Want to see an interesting comparison? Find the EU Sprinter specs They are rated quite a bit higher for use over the pond. I suspect it may have a bit to do with the way the trailering/towing laws are written over there as well as the tort system limiting litigation. However, I have seen the Sprinters and sprinter type vehicles hauling some amazing loads in Europe.
Quote:
Don't know WHY one would want to as the Sprinter is very manuverable in tight spots, but I guess it's a matter of preference.
If I had one of the Winnebago MoHo's on the Sprinter chassis, I could see the possiblity of a toad. We have considered that route, with the toad being a Ford Focus wagon. BTW with the Sprinter in the MoHo configuration the towing is reduced to 3500#, IIRC it is in some cases with the conversions too.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:40 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
It's not a good idea to let a diesel run at low idle , new or old, for extended periods . If you notice the truckers at rest stops that leave them running step them up to high idle , 1200-1500 RPM .
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 11:49 AM   #13
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I have the model below. I let mine run while I unhitch and until I pull away from the trailer. It usually takes about 10-15 minutes. I do this to let the turbo booster have a chance to cool down after pulling a load before I shut it off. After my daily commute with no load on the turbo booster for 5-10 minutes or the last 7-8 miles from the interstate to my house I don't allow that cool down. I figure it has had that cool down in the last few minutes of the commute at lower speeds. I think unnecessary idling would put undue ware on the engine. If there is family or pets in my truck, I will let it idle for the A/C the same as I would my wife's gas Expedition. But for just a few minutes, not for an hour.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:56 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1995 33' Land Yacht
Houston , Texas
I would not worry about leaving it running. If you plan to do it on a regular basis, I would add a Hobbs hour meter and check your maintainance requrirements.

The vehicle fleet I work with includes F250 Fords and GMC 2500HD trucks. They idle for 8-10 hours a day. They are maintained by the hour meter instead of the milage, and there are never any problems. The trucks are 1998-2005 models, and to my knowledge there have not been any problems with the engines. They are still as powerful and smooth as when they were new.
tx-lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:00 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1995 33' Land Yacht
Houston , Texas
Ohh, and by the way - Overland is correct, it is illegal in Texas to leave your vehicle unattended without killing the engine and removing the key from the ignition. I would check the laws in your state before you do it.

The fleet I referenced above is a company I work with, and the crews are with the trucks the entire time.

Troy Marrs
95 Airstream LY 33
tx-lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Welcome to the Forums Troy! That is a very reassuring answer. In the words of the Texas Troubador, "Thanks! Thanks a lot!"

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
I haven't run the roof top air conditioner other than when hooked to 30 amp electrical or off the propane generator. I don't see much of a reason to run the diesel while shopping or lunch, etc. The engine air conditioner works just fine once underway again even in 100 degree weather. I have run the propane generator for up to 3 hours so far with no problem if that is a desire. The more you run it the better off you are because you should run it at least once per month for at least 2 hours says the manual. As far as I know all Sprinter conversion vans except the Westfalia use the same Onan.

My fridge is the biggest concern. Underway we run DC, stopped with no electrical hookup we run propane and with electrical hookup we run AC. For short stops we leave it on DC. While traveling the house battery pretty much keeps it's charge. Gotta keep that beer cold.

Europe and England must have looser towing regs. I was amazed to see what we consider compact cars pulling trailers in England. The most popular tower seemed to the the VW Passat but I suspect they were diesels. I don't see why a Sprinter couldn't pull a Bambi. It certainly has the torque. There would be no reason to pull a toad (car) in my opinion since you can park anywhere a car can park except in a parking garage. Now that many codes and ordinances require the main level of a parking garage capable of access by ambulances and mobility vans you could even luck out in the newer parking garages.

I think I just broke my 666 evil devil hex message count.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Onan.
I don't see why a Sprinter couldn't pull a Bambi. It certainly has the torque. .
This Sprinter does very well pulling it's 19CCD around the country, and with a van weight of around 8000lb loaded. (see pic at left)
Old 07-10-2006, 02:27 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
Illegal in Colorado to

Its illegal in Colorado to leave a running vehicle unattened. Something about "undesirables" hanging out in apartment complex parking lots in the winter and waiting for someone to warm up thier car....

I installed a Cool Start remote starter in my Ford PSD. It has a setting to let the engine run for a set time, or indefinatly without the key in the ignition.
If the brake pedal is pressed (neccisary to take it out of park) it kills the engine.

BTW, the remotes are not recomended for diesels with manual transmissions.
The starter motors have enough torqe to start the engine if left in first gear.

There are issues with leaving a PSD running at low idle for long periods of time. One if which is the top of the cylinders getting hotter than the bottom of the cylinders. There are mods to increase your idle speed to around 1100 or so to aleviate that problem.

Cheers,
volvophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:36 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
personal choice

Here is another example of state laws that limit your freedom of choice.

I'm not saying that you should leave your motor running un attended.
You should have the choice do to so at your oun risk (motor damage or theft) If our state lawmakers worked as hard on important issues as on these nit-picking things the Texas legistature would not have had 3 sessions to adopt a school finance plan. New Jersey would not have to shut down the govt, waiting on a budget.

my $.02

Kay
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote