Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
End Your DEF and Bio-diesel Worries

Here is some fun... a Sprinter with AMG V-12 bi-turbo motor.

https://youtu.be/pjBBQQW5xtM
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Here is some fun... a Sprinter with AMG V-12 bi-turbo motor.

https://youtu.be/pjBBQQW5xtM

I'll see your V12 and raise you a Ford Transit Van.

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The Transit's 3.5 twin turbo Ecoboost is a beast. 310HP and 400 ft-lb

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:36 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Man this thread has really gone sideways......
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Truck stops sometimes have the pumps programmed to do one fluid before the other, but the Sprinter does not care. The slow filling is because a rapid fill of DEF goes down the fill tube and it goes down the vent tube that connects to the fill tube about 2" below the top. This creates an air lock in the DEF tank. Poor design. I use a funnel with a long neck so that the DEF goes into the fill tube below the point where the vent tube joins. That way I can add DEF as fast as the funnel allows, without causing an air lock.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:47 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Currently Looking...
Brevard , North Carolina
I have just been buying DEF at Walmart and filling when needed
TheHoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:32 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Las vegas , Washington
I ran low on DEF and went to the Mercedes dealership. Since their DEF came in small containers and were high priced, I only bought enough to get me through the trip. That said, the containers are nifty screw on and push down which will guarantee no spill. Cut off the bottom and you have a nice screw down funnel that can be used with the Walmart DEF jug. I haven't heard of any reason why you should be brand loyal when it comes to DEF.
elgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:33 PM   #28
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgo View Post
I haven't heard of any reason why you should be brand loyal when it comes to DEF.
As long as the original container is clearly labeled "ISO 22241" it's exactly the same stuff, regardless of brand.

One reason why I don't buy DEF at the pump at any truck stop is because I don't know if it meets ISO 22241 standards. THe only way to be sure is to buy it in sealed and labeled containers.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:23 PM   #29
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
As long as the original container is clearly labeled "ISO 22241" it's exactly the same stuff, regardless of brand.

One reason why I don't buy DEF at the pump at any truck stop is because I don't know if it meets ISO 22241 standards. THe only way to be sure is to buy it in sealed and labeled containers.
Only a limited number of plants manufacture it.

What I deliver to truckstops in bulk, to my knowledge, is no different. What I deliver to oil companies to refill 330-gl totes has those stickers on it. No one has a problem of which I'm aware. I realize that's not the guarantee you seek, but I'd imagine rules governing what I do would be more specific as to customer requirements. They aren't. It is, after all, fairly simple stuff.

I've hauled other products with genuinely strict requirements. Those had more to do with different products in the same tank (even if of the same family). DEF is hauled in dedicated trailers.

Contamination is the only real issue. And our procedures to load or unload aren't different (in main) from how diesel itself is transported.

All that said, underground bulk storage has its own problems. But as DEF is basically new, so are those tanks. Testing product involves refractometers and an evaluation in which I'm not trained. But no one has suggested the tanker driver needs to be.

Out of roughly forty locations I've serviced, I've only seen one with a prefilter (a trucking company which paid three hours demurrage due to slow offload).

My concern with 2.5/gl containers is heat soak. Shortened shelf life. Unknown age and unknown storage conditions. Those are shipped in conventional vans where temps get higher than ambient. (My insulated tank doesn't rise above 83F).

What you should or shouldn't do is your decision. Some truckstops I service weekly with over 5000/gls. In a half year of this I have yet to hear of a problem, nor do I have any "unusual circumstances" bulletins in my procedures book (distinctly different from those other products).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Las vegas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

May be splitting hairs here but I checked the bottle on the DEF they sell at Mercedes dealership and it says "ISO 22241-1". The Peak Blue Def in Walmart is "ISO 22241". Wonder if there's any meaningful difference to the "-1" ? More curious than anything - as the MB manual on page 8 clearly states "ISO 22241" I'm sure it's fine.
elgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #31
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgo View Post
May be splitting hairs here but I checked the bottle on the DEF they sell at Mercedes dealership and it says "ISO 22241-1". The Peak Blue Def in Walmart is "ISO 22241". Wonder if there's any meaningful difference to the "-1" ?
Not really. It's just a revision number. Since the current revision has been in effect since 2005, I doubt anyone is still using Revision 0 (the original version). The next revision should be approved later this year, by the way. Upcoming changes are minor, and stocks of DEF made under Revision 1 will still be perfectly usable.