Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #241
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I managed to get into my favorite restaurant before today’s scheduled heatwave shut-down. It’s a pretty nice restaurant, and the heat-related compromise that they made was to put away the fine crockery and linens and serve on disposables instead, to minimize the need to run hot water. So I’ve got their signature maple spinach salad with crispy haddock wrap and watermelon-infused ice water on paper and plastic service ware. No complaints!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8465.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	319295
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:27 PM   #242
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
Copied and pasted from a previous post:

On our way back to the states, we took the CAT out of Yarmouth only because it gave us more time in NS. On our booking, one of the engines was down, so it took about another hour to complete the trip. If I had to do it over, I probably would, because we were able to fit more into the remaining schedule. However, there were a lot of people coughing and sneezing, and within 24 hours, so was I. I had a virus for the next two weeks.

I’ve been to NS four times and have driven all over the island. Here’s an alternative to the CAT. After crossing from St. Stephen into New Brunswick, head to St. Andrew’s by the Sea and stay at Kiwanis Oceanfront Camping. Then head for St. George to Country Market Bakery and Fine Foods and fill the fridge with everything they sell. Continue to Saint John and stay at Rockwood Park. Eat at Saint John Ale House. Take the ferry to Digby and stay at Digby Campground and Funpark. I don’t think there’s much of a fun park so much as it’s very close to town. Eat dinner at The Fundy Restaurant and Bar. After dinner, walk down to the lower level to see if there’s a band playing. Before leaving the area, don’t forget to drive over to Bear River and see Rob Buckland Nicks at The Flight of Fancy Gallery. Next is Annapolis Royal for an afternoon of walking around, shopping and food. Maybe see a show at The King’s Theatre or visit The Annapolis Royal Tidal Generating Station. Next, head to Liverpool and eat at Lane’s Privateer Inn and Restaurant. A must for your trip will be a day in Lunenburg walking the streets and checking out the architecture and shops. Continue to Peggy’s Cove for an hour or so, possibly staying to watch the sunset. Drive through Mahone Bay in the daytime and then head into Halifax. Eat at Piatto Pizzeria, The Bicycle Thief, and The Five Fishermen, and read about the history of The Five Fishermen. You must see The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic and learn more about the Titanic and Halifax Explosion. If you are in Halifax while the Tattoo is playing, this is a not-to-be-missed show. If you have kids, take them to Freak Lunchbox. From Halifax, where do you go? More NS, or maybe Moncton? You could leave Halifax and head to Windsor and eat at The Spitfire Arms. Then take the 215 to Burntcoat Head and watch the tide rise and fall. I can go on and on….

If you’ve never been to NS, some definite dos are Lunenburg, Halifax, and Annapolis Royal, etc. Driving around and enjoying the scenery is fantastic as is the food. The people are very friendly and will speak to you on the street. We were driving slowly around Saint John, looking at the architecture, and were approached three times by people asking if we needed directions.

If you take the CAT into Yarmouth, eat at Rudder’s Seafood and just pull in to Walmart for the evening. Drive around the Bay of Fundy on Route 1 (Evangeline Trail) to Digby. This is much prettier than just running up the 103 to Halifax.

For a retrospective look at NS, read about Maud Lewis and watch the movie Maudy. You can see her homesite on the Evangeline Trail as well as Eglise Sainte-Bernard and Eglise Sainte-Marie.

We post a lot of photos of NS on our Instagram page at coasttocoasstphotoatl.

Please contact me for more info.

I am trying to post photos, but the program isn't letting me.
coasttocoast is online now Report Post

A couple of more restaurants for you:
Pipers Landing- Pictou. A real world class chef owns this place.
Country Bread Basket Bakery and Coffee Shop- Tatamagouche. The ham is from a local farm.

So where are you on the Eastern Shore? Where have you been, and where are you going? What restaurants can you share with us?

I spent a month in NS and Newfoundland last year.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:17 AM   #243
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
3M Crystaline Observation

While in my parked RV yesterday, I was noticing the cab area was hotter than the coach. Not the first time and not surprising given the glass area (even though all front glass was covered with reflective "Heat Shield" window coverings) and the fact the front was facing the afternoon sun.

What was different this time was when I placed my hand again the inside of the reflective coverings on the driver's door and windshield, I felt a noticeable difference. The driver's window with the 3M Crystaline 90 was cooler than the untreated windshield. Afternoon sun angle was about the same on both glass areas.

So, while I would have gotten the 3M 70 on the side windows if I was to do it again, it seems the 90 window tint is doing more good than I originally thought.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:43 AM   #244
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I will install a fan to cool the area behind the fridge. As mentioned in another post, proper lower & upper venting for the nova cool 12/110v fridge was not on Airstream’s priority list.
I bought one of these 16/cfm fans https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and a length of 1-1/4" ID flexible hose and wired it to a lighted wall switch I added. I routed the hose behind the wardrobe and out the panel above the rear tv using this 1-1/2" OD round vent cover https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The fan pushes a good amount of air, but of course, my mod changed the original ventilation path (if you can even call it that) I'm drilling a couple of 3-1/8" holes below the fridge in the cover to the Inverter/Fuses/Breakers/Battery Cut-Off and am considering closing off the microwave grill in an effort to pull air into the bottom and out the top. But probably not until I install a thermostat so I can leave the fan switched on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Update on insulating behind the Microwave in my '2012 Avenue:
Now to install the fan (above) to vent that area, the 100 degree on/85 degree off thermostat https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, on/off switch, and reinstall the microwave.

I had the microwave out the other day and finally took pictures of my switched & thermostat controlled fan to ventilate the refrigerator compartment (inadequately vented by AS). Due to the lack of cabinet wall surface to install a large vent, I went with a 16 CFM squirrel-cage fan that pushes air out a small 1-1/2" hose that runs behind the wardrobe and vents near the switch at the rear TV.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8393.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	602.3 KB
ID:	322582   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8396.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	336.0 KB
ID:	322583  

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:22 AM   #245
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Anecdotal point of reference:

Houston just had its second-latest onset of autumn ever. The beginning of autumn is loosely defined here as "the first day when the temp falls below 65 F". It averages Sept. 16. This year it didn't come until October 11. The only other time it came later in recorded history was in 1904, when it happened on October 13.

We got lucky. Hurricane season technically runs until November 30, but Houston's effective hurricane season ends for most practical purposes on September 24. After that date, our chances of a landfall drop to about 2%, because of the way the jet stream tends to shove Gulf storms toward Florida from that point forward on the calendar (witness Michael's current destruction as a Cat 4 landfall). If the jet stream does not behave normally, this safety buffer becomes imperiled. Our first fall front came just in time to steer Michael.

Anyway, it has been a MISERABLE late summer, with more than two feet of rain in just over a month, and temperatures every day around 90. I did volunteer work with our dog this past Tuesday, and when I stepped out of the hospital at 11:30 a.m., it was 91 degrees.

All this strengthens my resolve to try for a 2-month trip to Canada next year, instead of this year's 5 weeks.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #246
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I feel for you. I lived in Houston 7 years. I'm as far south as I would ever want to live right now. We had a very hot summer too in SC. Canada sounds like a good idea. For a 2 month trip, do you go coast to coast or do you already have a favorite area?
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:12 AM   #247
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Wow! 2 feet in a month. That is more than we get in a year, and this is supposed to be the ‘NorthWet’.

To be fair, about 40 miles by air away gets about 12 feet a year for rain.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:10 PM   #248
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
... For a 2 month trip, do you go coast to coast or do you already have a favorite area?
I have a piece of property in Nova Scotia. I was born there, and bought it 25 years ago when water frontage was still affordable. We work on it every time we go, and it keeps getting better and better. Twenty-five years ago, there was really no such thing as an off-grid van that had to run an office with computers and other electronics from a lithium-solar system, but the property is perfect for that. Maybe I had a premonition a long time ago.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #249
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Very nice, I get modifications by AM solar in Dec. I would like to be off grid at least a day or 2 if necessary without worrying so much about the batteries, so he is going to upgrade solar, inverter, and double battery power with lifeline batteries. Did you do yours yourself? Unfortunately, heat related, he said no way to run AC and fridge constantly in high heat without generator!
Old 10-13-2018, 04:37 AM   #250
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Very nice, I get modifications by AM solar in Dec. I would like to be off grid at least a day or 2 if necessary without worrying so much about the batteries, so he is going to upgrade solar, inverter, and double battery power with lifeline batteries. Did you do yours yourself? Unfortunately, heat related, he said no way to run AC and fridge constantly in high heat without generator!
Yes, we did our lithium system by ourselves (mostly my husband, who has an epic thread here describing the job, or see these first two of four blog posts: Part 1, Part 2).

We CAN run our a/c for a couple of hours off our battery - nobody can run it constantly (with the possible exception of some ARV buyers), but some of us can run for a few hours at a time, which can be important during the hottest parts of the day. However, we have recently had alternator problems (here) and so we're not doing this right now, and won't resume until we get a second alternator installed (don't need a/c this time of year anyway).

Lew emailed me back acknowledging the clutch pulley failure on our alternator. I suspect that he and others like him will be warning people about that particular failure mode going forward, if their systems include alternator charging. We've heard about "alternator problems" for a couple of years on such systems, but details have historically been sparse.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #251
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Well, we all talk about the heat, but I got to Alumalina yesterday and it got cold! My heat did not turn on until I had my Duh! moment....had to go out and flip the switch on the propane. You can feel cool air near the back side windows even with all the shades, but the furnace worked well. It actually is kinda fun to cozy up under a blanket! Today is a beautiful day and it should be an amazing rally with almost 300 Airstreamers!
Old 10-22-2018, 08:18 PM   #252
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Well, we all talk about the heat, but I got to Alumalina yesterday and it got cold! My heat did not turn on until I had my Duh! moment....had to go out and flip the switch on the propane. You can feel cool air near the back side windows even with all the shades, but the furnace worked well. It actually is kinda fun to cozy up under a blanket! Today is a beautiful day and it should be an amazing rally with almost 300 Airstreamers!
You need to add a second LP switch inside your van. I can reach my inside switch to turn on the LP and turn on the thermostat to get heat without leaving my bed. It was great on those cold morning on my recent trip to northern Minnesota.

This trhead has now switched to winter heating.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:31 AM   #253
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
You need to add a second LP switch inside your van. I can reach my inside switch to turn on the LP and turn on the thermostat to get heat without leaving my bed. It was great on those cold morning on my recent trip to northern Minnesota.

This thread has now switched to winter heating.
We need to add that second propane switch posthaste. In all this time, we've never gotten around to it.

The same principles apply to winter heating as summer cooling. I was in St. Louis this past week and we hit a low of 28 degrees. Very frustrating - it was 91 on Sunday and 28 a week later. I counted furnace run time intervals of 7 minutes on, 5 minutes off, rinse and repeat all night long. I don't know how long a T1N tank of propane can be expected to last under those conditions. Not enough experience.

It's that time of year - the seamster who makes and sells insulated Sprinter window coverings had to hire a new employee and is still backlogged with weeks of orders. I still haven't finished my own thermal window cover kit because I've never been fully satisfied with my design. So I was using Reflectix this past week - it's better than nothing.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:32 AM   #254
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I'll look into that switch. I have an issue with covering the windows...I travel with a cat and he wants to look out at night and watch wildlife, so I leave shades up enough for him to entertain himself, otherwise he will be bugging me all night. I just brought extra blankets snd sox! I forgot my ceramic space heater, but fortunately it warms up enough during day to open windows. Yes, furnace cycles often, but mine is not using a lot of propane yet.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:59 AM   #255
1 Rivet Member

Menominee , Michigan
Declaring war on Interstate summer heat gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post

This trhead has now switched to winter heating.

My DH did this (the inside propane switch) after he met you & chatted about AI upgrades in Menominee, MI, shortly after we first got ours. Thanks so much for that great tip, Boxster1971! And yes, he did swap out the solar panel controller for a Vectron; life is good! [emoji4]
tugboatannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:54 PM   #256
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboatannie View Post
My DH did this (the inside propane switch) after he met you & chatted about AI upgrades in Menominee, MI, shortly after we first got ours. Thanks so much for that great tip, Boxster1971! And yes, he did swap out the solar panel controller for a Vectron; life is good! [emoji4]
Great - remember meeting your husband while my wife was in the Menomine quilt shop. We had a great time on Mackinaw Island during that trip.

Glad to hear you now have a good solar controller.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:38 PM   #257
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Quote:
I'll look into that switch. .
This might help

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post1949787
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:28 AM   #258
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I had flashbacks to the job I did on our Interstate's roof with Bus Kote:

Old 11-16-2018, 06:24 AM   #259
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Can't help but wonder how slick the paint is when (if) it rains.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:15 AM   #260
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
INTERBLOG - is Bus Kote only applicable for certain issues (i.e. did you do yours due to roof paint issues that needed correction or was it strictly to provide added insulating better than factory paint?)

TITUS - Rhino Linings have been providing color match for awhile now. I wondering if it does same job as Bus Kote for insulating. But I know it has excellent grip on my pickup truck, even in super wet. SportMobile has an option to do entire van with Rhino
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20181116-093510_Chrome.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	328008  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote