Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2018, 12:39 PM   #141
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I just noticed that https://www.upfittersresource.com/collections/sprinter is the Advanced RV web site to sell their accessories. Nice!
MIKE - noticed that too last night . . . and they are selling the new quiet(er) A/C ??? I was able to put it in my cart but it has no mention of installation charges. Wonder what's up with that . . . a teaser offering to see who puts an order in ??
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:53 PM   #142

Parked in same spot on my driveway, still 3,100ft. asl, but now at 10am east morning sun at full on assault on AI, outside temp 105, humidity 9%, ONLY day shades down, ONLY (AutoZone cheapo, not the AI issued) windshield & front window inside shades on, testing the Gen & A/C running full blast for 2hrs. - inside temp holding at 84. Impressed undersized Gen is not balking at this altitude & temp combo

Scotty to Captain Kirk - "I given her all she's got, Captain Kirk"

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180603_100109 (640x580).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	312856

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180603_110820 (608x640).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	312857
Old 06-03-2018, 10:37 PM   #143
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
MIKE - noticed that too last night . . . and they are selling the new quiet(er) A/C ??? I was able to put it in my cart but it has no mention of installation charges. Wonder what's up with that . . . a teaser offering to see who puts an order in ??
Can’t recall if the price included install as they wanted to make sure these were done correctly... will have to look back at my notes/bookmarks to confirm.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:01 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Can’t recall if the price included install as they wanted to make sure these were done correctly... will have to look back at my notes/bookmarks to confirm.
I was only guessing at $2,749 it does not include installation. The way ARV prices, install probably another $500-1000 (including removal of old) ??
Old 06-04-2018, 07:56 AM   #145
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
I was only guessing at $2,749 it does not include installation. The way ARV prices, install probably another $500-1000 (including removal of old) ??
And it needs to be with the color-matched cover. Anything else would be uncivilized...

Quiet Air Conditioner for Motor Home - Color matched cover - your starting price (if it does not include install) $3,108.00
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:09 PM   #146
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
This is a Test . . . This is only a Test.

Here I sit in my "man cave" (aka - Avenue Suite) in my driveway testing the a/c's capacity to cool on a 95 degree day in full sun. Started the test at 11am with the rear lounge temperature reading 84 degrees. We had driven it before parking it so it was somewhat cooled by the dash a/c.

As of 1:00pm the 13,500btu Coleman Mach 8 has run continuously and has managed to drop the temperature to 78 degrees at the kitchen galley. Quite comfortable for me, since I'm sitting directly under the a/c, and the digital thermometer is a few feet further away.

All windows are covered internally, with Cover King insulated shades in the cab windows and my reflectix hand-made coverings along the sides and rear. I'm not using any of the Airstream window curtains in the cab area or over reflectix at this point. But I'm keeping that option in reserve if needed.

I plan to run the a/c all day to see how it does. Meanwhile, I've been surfing the internet and getting repeatedly hung up on by Aircell (Maxxair) after wading through their menu options and being told I would be transferred to the next available technician. My manual fan cover won't open (stripped gears?) and I'm trying to find out if it is a replaceable item.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #147
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Test passed, sort of.

Well, I may have to suspend today's a/c test. Digital thermometer reads 73 degrees which means the a/c is having no trouble with today's heat.

However, since this performance was well above what I anticipated, I checked the local weather and today's will not be 95+ degrees as I expected based on the past few weeks. Instead, we seem to be experiencing an unexpected cool spell with today's high being only 90.

Still, I'm very pleased and the well-insulated fiberglass roof of the Avenue is acquitting itself well. For most of the past 3-1/2 hours the sun has been nearly overhead which seems to have helped reduce window and side heat gain a great deal.

Perhaps next week, when seasonal temps in the high 90's return, I will repeat the process. Only this time start a few hours later and without the van having been run on dash a/c before starting the new test. The starting interior temp should be at least 10 degrees hotter and with the outside temperature hitting 5-10 degrees hotter, it should be a much more strenuous test.

Now, I'm off to start a thread on my Maxxfan problem since a search did not turn up anything to help with my "won't open" problem.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:50 PM   #148
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post

Now, I'm off to start a thread on my Maxxfan problem since a search did not turn up anything to help with my "won't open" problem.

Thread not needed. Finally got through to Airxcel by phone. A much more pleasant experience since they finally answered and I spoke to a very competent tech on the phone. A new "operator mechanism" has been ordered for the manual cover opener on my Maxxfan. I just have to get it installed.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #149
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Several folks on this forum have gone to some trouble to add extra insulation around their fridges. It occurred to me today that I have a test case sitting on our garage floor - the de-installed but functioning Dometic RM2351 three-way fridge that we are currently using as our house fridge while we deal with Sears on a dead Kenmore Elite that is still under full warranty.

Has anyone reiterated recently that Houston's weather sucks? Just want to make that clear in case anyone missed any of the previous nine hundred times I attempted to make the point.

It's 94 degrees in our attached, partially-insulated garage right now, and it's generally staying around that point, maybe cooling off a few degrees at night, but not much.

The Dometic is groaning under this heat load. It's able to maintain 37 degrees or lower, but it clearly wasn't designed for this torture (neither was I).

I got the idea to shoot it all the way around with the temp gun to see if it's disproportionately gaining heat at any point - if it were, maybe I could pad it with insulation in those areas, and improve its performance.

Nothing jumps out at me as a cause for concern. It's a whopping half a degree lower than everything else in the garage.

FWIW.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:19 PM   #150
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Surprisingly uniform and well insulated. Amazing that it can cool that well in 90+ degree garage heat. But in it's intended installation, it could be even worse.

The temperature probe in the cabinet behind the compressor fridge read 120 degrees today in full sun in the closed up Avenue Suite. I hate to think the torture it would experience if I had to turn it on under those conditions.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #151
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
So we are four hours into our drive across Texas to AL and outside temp is currently 97. We are only using the MB air and staying comfortable.

I ran the AI AC and MB Air for about 20 minutes prior to departure. Have all windows/fans and shades closed.

At lunch stop... I ran generator AI ac to prevent heat build up.

Wish I would have picked up thermometer to have some actual numbers but so far so good.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #152
3 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
Guess I should have added the kids are in the back. We have the side chairs together and one is laying there while other is laying across couch and they have blankets over them watching TV.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #153
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post
Guess I should have added the kids are in the back. We have the side chairs together and one is laying there while other is laying across couch and they have blankets over them watching TV.

It seems you've found an approach that works by supplementing the with the rear A/C to prevent temperature heat spikes.

Blankets are good. I just never would have thought it would be that cool in back.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:27 PM   #154
3 Rivet Member

Plano , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
It seems you've found an approach that works by supplementing the with the rear A/C to prevent temperature heat spikes.

Blankets are good. I just never would have thought it would be that cool in back.

It was working good until the stop at 4pm for gas. It was a quick stop but fighting 97 degrees we ended up running the generator and AI AC for about two hours while driving to combat that. It seemed to work and went the rest of the way from the MB AC. Nighttime was very easy on the AC. Temp dropped to about 75/80 outside. Made it to AL in one piece.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:17 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I wish I could post or talk in detail about what I saw on the job yesterday, but I can't because of business confidentiality. I was assessing a manufacturing plant that produces temperature-controlled industrial rolling stock which probably sells for several hundred thousand dollars to several million dollars per unit. The proprietary builds they engineer are simply mind boggling.

I get to see both extremes of the wheeled spectrum, sometimes on the same day. This is why I'm so fussy about quality and so obsessed with DIY. I'm spoiled. I see a cheaply-built camper van with some Pink Panther stuffed here and there, which is called "insulation". Then on the industrial side, I see these incredible vehicles which, in terms of temperature control, are pretty much unbounded in their capabilities.

If the average consumer were to see the likes of what I see, it would be a game-changer. They'd realize the magnitude of the quality discrepancy and they would no longer settle unquestioningly for the extreme low end product. And of course, no consumer can afford to pay for the extreme high end, but THERE IS A HAPPY MEDIUM which is not being pursued by any mass-market RV manufacturer that I've ever seen.

Rant concluded.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:14 AM   #156
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
The usual forum disclaimers apply: This is not my business, I'm not making any money off this post.

I discovered this guy on Instagram after noting one of his posts where he said he finally made his own window coverings after making over a thousand for other people. OK, that's not an ordinary side business, so I looked at his products and found them to be highly innovative. He has dreamed up thermal products that hadn't occurred to me yet. And trust me - his prices are extremely low for the amount of labor and overhead that goes into this kind of niche.

So, if you are a DIYer doing #vansizedsewing, you could make an exterior side shroud like mine for perhaps $30 (of which almost all the cost is the neodymium magnets). You could make a sliding door window cover with Insul-bright for about $10. But you'd have to devote a boat-load of labor to your effort. Or you could find a vendor if that is more to your liking. This guy appears to be one of the better ones.

Interestingly, it's a male doing this. These days, seamsters are very rare (James Adinaro being the obvious other aspirant). It's cool to see males crossing over into traditionally female arts. Kinda balances out those of us females who are developing a taste for working on big vans.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:35 AM   #157
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Cross-post:

This other thread called Front clip protection & Window tint contains a lot of good information on 3M window tints and their ability to exclude heat from the interior of the van.

I wanted to mention that here because sometimes when communicating with non-Forum participants, I reference this "war" thread but not the other.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:10 AM   #158
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Declaring war on Interstate summer heat gain

Just gently pointing out that males who sew or do other crafts with fabric, thread, or yarn are not that unusual. Just not advertised all that much.
For one, I and the other males in this family are quite competent with a sewing machine, a needle, and thread. Wife and daughter do crochet and knitting, but I do all the sewing, including building clothing and curtains from scratch for our home and RVs in the past.
And I will note that no one has ever attempted to confiscate my “man card” when I cook and clean either...
Sewing is a learned and practiced skill like any other. Please don’t stereotype skills...
As a male, I do note that the only thing I can’t do that a female can, is bear a baby. (Until some mad scientist figures out a way)
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:27 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I don't stereotype skills; I'm just the messenger. The stereotyping was well done by others long before I came along. Especially by the manufacturers. Go into Joann and find me one male who isn't being miserably being dragged around by his other half. Find me one sewing apparatus that looks even remotely unisex. They have pink flowers and other such insignia stamped on them pretty much exclusively, and they have pink and purple LED lighting. They are the showboats, the centerpieces, of today's elaborate feminine craft rooms.

It works both ways. Once women figure out that they can make $50,000 - $100,000 around here as welders, and that welding is nothing more than crafting on a heavier, more stubborn scale, that whole stereotype framework is gonna crumble. Get paid that much to do what many of them want to be doing anyway - craft. Here's literally the grinning face of the future in my neck of the woods:

https://www.com.edu/success/stories/.../marissa-cantu
Old 07-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #160
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Declaring war on Interstate summer heat gain

Yup. Need to bust a lot of those stereotypes. It’s a little disappointing that too many stereotypes are still with us. And let’s not get started on the “equal pay for equal work” inequities that still exist.
I work in the IT field. It’s ‘less bad’ there, and medical is also less bad, but still a long way to go.
Both of our sewing machines, BTW, are unisex. One of them is a Sears Kenmore that I bought almost 47 years ago. Beige, no flowers...the Brother sewing machine we got 10 years ago has a place for a picture. It came with a cute shot of a puppy. Maybe these are an exception. All the sewing hardware and supplies live in my home office.

Last trip to JoAnns I didn’t see any really ‘girly’ sewing machines, but I did find the fabric DW and I were looking for so I could make something.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote