Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St auguatine , Florida
They are AGM batteries. Do you have a help number for weekends on airstream? I only have M-F 9-5. After using a charger for 90
Minutes followed by 23 hours on shore power the van us still dead. The only thing with light is Magnum which says, No Comm.
carpenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
There should be a phone number in your manual, but not sure if it is manned on weekends. Try the dealer's service dept. maybe?

Sorry for your troubles!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:33 AM   #23
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenc View Post
They are AGM batteries. Do you have a help number for weekends on airstream? I only have M-F 9-5. After using a charger for 90
Minutes followed by 23 hours on shore power the van us still dead. The only thing with light is Magnum which says, No Comm.
Hi

It would be a good idea if you could fill in the details of your RV on your user profile. That helps people stay focused on your specific year and model. It also helps those of us who occasionally don't catch the "Sprinter" sub-forum notation.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:29 PM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Hi

It would be a good idea if you could fill in the details of your RV on your user profile. That helps people stay focused on your specific year and model. It also helps those of us who occasionally don't catch the "Sprinter" sub-forum notation.

Bob
Old 07-14-2018, 02:07 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:

I know things are hard in the initial stages, especially when things don’t go as expected. One of the difficulties is using the appropriate terminology to describe a problem you don’t understand! So with that in mind, please let us have the following initial information:
Did you buy this AI new from a dealer? Otherwise what is the year?
Can you start the AI (with the AI chassis battery)?
When you leave the AI plugged into shore power, are the coach batteries switched on (enabled) or not?
If the Magnum is displaying No Comm, that is a symptom of the coach batteries in the off setting, and they need to be on for the Magnum to do its duty. I should qualify this by saying it affects only certain years, and mine will charge without the coach batteries being on.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:23 PM   #26
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
On my 2014.5, solar will charge the batteries with the disconnect switch in the off position. The solar controller is directly wired to the batteries.

If the SB-164 "fix" has not been installed and the Magnum has not been switched off, the Magnum searches for loads on the outlets that the inverter serves. If anything was left plugged in and is turned on, that will flatten the batteries in a hurry.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:46 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
My battery did not go completely dead, but I was getting a red low warning on chasis each time before I turned the engine in my 2018 AI, and I took it to mercedes and they replaced it. They could find no explanation. They said its sometimes just a bad battery.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Bob, Thanks fir the advice. I just filled in the details. Am taking unit to dealer again tomorrow. Don’t know what else to do sense putting it on charger for 90 min folliwed by shore power for 13 hours didnt work although the Magnum screen breifky came on and said, “No Comm” . Any ideas what I could/shoukd do if that pops up again?
carpenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:46 AM   #29
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

No idea what to do with weird Magnum screens. Hope the dealer can straighten things out.

Bob
Old 07-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #30
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Here it is 2018 and the sane problem exists in the18s.!!!! I am sitting in a camp near my home trying to charge brand new batteries with a charger. Airstream tech said letting it sit without shore power fir two weeks drains the batteries. That shouldn’t be since you are supposed to be able to boondook for longer with solar etc!? The dealership, RV One in Winter Park Fl told me NOT to ht the red battery disable inless I was going to park it for months.
Hi carpenc,

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having with your batteries. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:24 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Ventura , California
I had the same problem with my '17. Some Fusions were wired incorrectly at the factory. See my posts fir "dead battery".
Land Sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #32
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpjack View Post
I put a battery tender on the Airstream and the f350. This solved the problem you are having.
May hide the problem, but certainly doesn't solve it.
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:37 AM   #33

2017 27' International
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin View Post
I bought a new 2017 International Serenity 23’ Airstream.
After just a month the “New” Interstate Batteries died. Brought it to the “Interstate Battery Dealer and they replaced them. A headache especially after paying $70K for an Airstream!
Same issue occurred with our 2017 27' International Serenity; dead International batteries were replaced under warranty. Airstream needs some serious QC upgrading in their organization. Extreme pride-blindness....
mellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:45 AM   #34
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellington View Post
Airstream needs some serious QC upgrading in their organization. Extreme pride-blindness....
Airstream needs to replace the p-poor Battery Interface Manager (BIM) with something better. For instance, the Blue Sea ML series that will maximize the battery charging and not leave you with partially charged batteries after a day's driving.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:47 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Airstream needs to replace the p-poor Battery Interface Manager (BIM) with something better. For instance, the Blue Sea ML series that will maximize the battery charging and not leave you with partially charged batteries after a day's driving.
I agree - but replacing the solar charge controller with something better would also help most owners. Especially now that they are installing three 100 watt solar panels.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:07 AM   #36
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I agree - but replacing the solar charge controller with something better would also help most owners. Especially now that they are installing three 100 watt solar panels.
Hi

At least on some of the trailers (yes we have TT's and MH's mixed at several points in this thread) they have gone to Victron solar charge controllers. I can't say the old one gave us any problems. The Victron definitely gives you a better view of what it's doing.

Bob
Old 07-20-2018, 08:42 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bellingham , Washington
Charge controllers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I just had Lew Farber replace the 50w panel with 3 - 100w panels and a Victron controller to replace the Sun Explorer on my 2013 Lounge. It works great.

I kept the old 50w panel to use off the van to charge some batteries I use for amateur astronomy telescope control purposes. The Victron 75/15 Bluetooth enabled controller I bought for that purpose works very well with the old 50w panel.

Something like the Victron controller would have made the original 50w panel of some use, as opposed to no use, as installed on the AI with the Sun Explorer.
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:48 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
How to check an electrical system for parasitic draw.

First use the 0 to 10 amp selector on a multimeter. An amp clamp will give inaccurate readings at small current levels. Hook in series with the batteries.

Now pull every fuse one by one and write down the difference in amp draw. You can now determine what is using power and what is not.

A faulty charge controller will back feed the solar panels from the batteries of a night time.

You can check your charge controller by hooking in series between the battery and charge controller and checking current draw when its night time.
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #39
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

How well a clamp amp does on low currents depends a *lot* on which one you buy. If it's only got a 400A scale on it ... yes, it will be nutty reading low currents.

Bob
Old 07-20-2018, 02:46 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermy1987 View Post
How to check an electrical system for parasitic draw.

First use the 0 to 10 amp selector on a multimeter. An amp clamp will give inaccurate readings at small current levels. Hook in series with the batteries.

Now pull every fuse one by one and write down the difference in amp draw. You can now determine what is using power and what is not.

A faulty charge controller will back feed the solar panels from the batteries of a night time.

You can check your charge controller by hooking in series between the battery and charge controller and checking current draw when its night time.

This might not work well on an Interstate as several items on the coach batteries are controlled by un-accessible thermal circuit breakers and hidden inline fuses.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote