Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2006, 01:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Daytime Running Lights

Does anyone know how to disconnect the daytime running lights on an 04 Sprinter, 05 Interstate ? jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:44 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Try pulling out the relay. Shown here:

Old 12-15-2006, 04:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi
Does anyone know how to disconnect the daytime running lights on an 04 Sprinter, 05 Interstate ? jim
Nunna my business I guess, just curious. Why?
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:06 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
In GM vehicle, there is a button to over-ride the DRL's. Try looking through your owners manual for a factory over-ride.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Yes, why would you want to disconnect this safety feature?

I bought my SPRINTER Cab and Chassis in the States and ordered the $50.00 option so that I could import the vehicle into Canada.

You can't register a vehicle in any province here or import it into Canada unless it has daytime running lights. I think this has been the case for about 10 years.

Keep them. Safer.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:24 PM   #6
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Nunna my business I guess, just curious. Why?
Dave
What he said?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:15 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Personally, I hate them. If a police officer decided to be a , umm, stickler, he could pull you over on a clear sunny day, and write you a ticket for a burnt out headlight. Legally, you can't even drive it to the parts store to get another one. Kind of like motorcycles. The less excuses I give somebody to give me a hard time, the better. Again, just my $.02, and probably worth almost that much.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:26 PM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I like DRL's. It's one better chance that the brain dead will see you coming and not pull out in front of you. I was a City of Tallahassee Police Department Motorcycle Officer thirty-five years a go. We ran a test running our headlights in the day time. Accidents and close calls were significantly reduced over a one year period. I have driven with lights on since. DRL's are a big safety plus. I can not see any reson why any sane person would intetionally want to disable this safety feature.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
I'm of 2 minds about this, and MUCH else!

Moose, Lip, Over & Fyr

As I said in the title - I am in 2 minds over this issue....

I can see the safety aspect...
I can see the hassle factor in the dead battery department (ask me why;>0)
I can see the ACLU "BIG BROTHER" aspect....
I can and DO see PLENTY of folks that run with NO LIGHT! Day and NIGHT!!!

Having said all the above, I have DRL's on the TV and confess to disabling them often, but not all the time.... BTW - hit the 'Dome Override' twice.

Not sure why I Do this, I must confess. Guess that I like the look ( I ALWAYS!!!!! check the front end look in every reflection!!!) with them off... then again, I have aftermarket driving lights that I sometime leave on while waiting at piano lessons, etc... (see dead battery reference)

I AM into the safety thing, FOR SURE!!! But not sure that the DRL's are all that.

I wait the 'flames', and any and all other input here...

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
I can see the ACLU "BIG BROTHER" aspect....
I can and DO see PLENTY of folks that run with NO LIGHT! Day and NIGHT!!!
Big Brother? You think somehow DRLs allows the government to monitor you? People have pulled out the "big brother" term so many times that it has lost all meaning - and I can't see how this is even near a "big brother" issue. Not even a privacy issue.

As for running with no lights, I see that too - at least if they have DRLs on we have a better chance of seeing them when they forget to turn on their headlights at night!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I converted my 96 Ford Explorer to Day Time Running lights; To do this there was a plug with a cap to complete the circuit. You remove the bypass cap and plug a relay [DRL relay] in it's place. Done and I liked it. As for a ticket for a burned out bulb, that's paranoid. Any other bulb can and will burn out sometime. As for running the battery dead, how? Most vehicles DRLs will only work with key on, light switch off, and parking brake off.
Now as for disconnecting DRLs, some vehicles, if you remove the relay, you won't have any headlights. [need the bypass plug] And others, if you pull the fuse, you shut off about six other things.

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:23 PM   #12
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
As for a ticket for a burned out bulb, that's paranoid. Any other bulb can and will burn out sometime.

Bob
Is it? I have a couple of nice $100 tickets to prove it isn't! I got pulled for having a taillight out and the officer wrote a full ticket for it, not a get it fixed and it will go away warning ticket but a full $35 ticket plus $65 court cost ticket. I even took the day off and went to court and still had to pay the D***ed thing. The other was for a missing lens, someone must have popped it in the parking lot because it was on that morning when I left for work...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Is it? I have a couple of nice $100 tickets to prove it isn't! I got pulled for having a taillight out and the officer wrote a full ticket for it, not a get it fixed and it will go away warning ticket but a full $35 ticket plus $65 court cost ticket. I even took the day off and went to court and still had to pay the D***ed thing. The other was for a missing lens, someone must have popped it in the parking lot because it was on that morning when I left for work...

Aaron
Hi, in my younger years, I could and did practically, get a ticket every time a cop saw me blink; Especially on a motorcycle. I feel those days are over and less of a threat as I age. On a 4,000 mile trip from Lakewood, Ca. to Canada and back traveling through many states, I was stopped by a cop in Arizona. He told me I had a tail light out. I asked if I could drive to the nearest place to buy a new bulb. He told me at this time of night, I would have to drive close to 100 miles to buy one. He wrote me a warning / fix it ticket. On this ticket I was instructed to repair the defect, sign the ticket, write how and when I did the repair, and mail the ticket back to Arizona. No $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Lucky? Or have I paid my dues?
Quote from my departed Mom. "Don't worry about anything before it happens"

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:11 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Quote from my departed Mom. "Don't worry about anything before it happens"
If you're worrying about it, that means that it hasn't happened yet. (And may not)
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:16 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi
The department I work for recently switched our paddy wagons.....I mean delivery vans....from Fords to Sprinters. I asked the officer in charge of our fleet maintenance....(I mean the person in charge of our vehicles)....if we could have the daytime running lights disconnected so that we can run the vehicles in "stealth mode" when doing our patrols.....I mean deliveries and pick ups.....(in our higher crime areas.) Anyway, I was advised that currently we can't get the day time running lights disconnected due to the manner in which the vehicles electronics are set up. They are working to have that changed and if and when they do, I'll report back with the fix. Our Crown Victoria's have a kill switch for the daytime running lights, so I don't know why we can't kill the lights in the Sprinters.

Having stated that daytime running lights have been statistically proven to reduce vehicle collisions therefore I am in complete support of them. It is disappointing to hear that an officer would issue a ticket to someone for having a tail light burnt out, rather than give the driver the opportunity to rectify the problem first.....I hear that there are good cops and then there are GREAT cops....perhaps the member that got a ticket for the burnt out tail light met up with only a good cop that day
tolmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 05:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Yeah, issuing a ticket for a burned out bulb is pretty silly.

But has anyone had one for a burned out DRL? Remember, they aren't mandatory in the US, so I wonder what grounds they'd use to write the ticket.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:05 AM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater
Yeah, issuing a ticket for a burned out bulb is pretty silly.

But has anyone had one for a burned out DRL? Remember, they aren't mandatory in the US, so I wonder what grounds they'd use to write the ticket.
Their good old catch all..."Improper Equipment" I know that most law enforcement departments claim they don't have quotas but I honestly can't see the point in giving someone a ticket for burned out or missing bulbs. The one I got for the burned out bulb still gets my goat even though it happened over 20 years ago, what really got my goat at the time was I had a spare bulb in the glove compartment that I could and would have installed on the spot. And just for reference I was stopped once for having a low beam head light out, I kindly pointed out to the officer his right side head light was out too he went an hit the fender on the car and the light came back on, tried it on mine and it worked too...no ticket in that case.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:25 AM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I don't like daytime running lamps either and always turn them off if I remember to on the Suburban. DRLs don't do a whole heck of a lot, and frankly, there were studies I read (of course there are studies to prove anyone's point, but I agreed with this one) that simply said that DRLs cost consumers millions of gallons of oil a year keeping them on in the slight added load to the electrical systems, which in turn place a slight resistance on the alternator. Dunno how true that is, but I like to say when my lights are on. Additional studies also have said that the good that DRLs due is negligable. I also tend to agree. I mean really, in full sun, bright day, these lights don't do sqat anyway.

For those that like them and use them regularly, that's your call. If I could manually disable the enitre relay on an '04 Sub, I would. I have what GM use to call the twilight sentinel and that turns the regular lights on once it get darker out anyway. My feeling is that DRLs are like that old OSHA joke, "Cowboy after OSHA". The horse had antilock hooves, net around the whole saddle and air bags on the saddle. There is a point IMHO, where we just make things so antiseptic just to cover our behinds against lawsuits that it just makes little sense to me. IMHO, DRLs are a prime example of taking it too far.

Soapbox off.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:20 AM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The ticket is "Safety Equipment" and it is the same as a burned out headlight. I had to fill out the form to prove it had been repaired. Basically it was an excuse to pull the person over and give them a ticket for not having their seatbelt buckled, which is not a primary stop offense here (yet). The burned-out bulb wound up costing the driver almost $300 in fines and court costs even though it was repaired and the ticket for THAT was only more-or-less a warning.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:04 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Yea, I never even considered that part of the equation. I see DRLs with one burned out all the time.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote