Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2023, 06:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sea ranch lakes , Florida
Dash speakers/tweeter

Dash speaker/tweeter is cracking, sounds terrible. I can't find replacement. any help would be appreciated.
Dirkpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkpitt View Post
Dash speaker/tweeter is cracking, sounds terrible. I can't find replacement. any help would be appreciated.
Are you sure it is the dash speaker/tweeter? I had same issue recently. I first thought it was the tweeter in corner of dash on drivers side. After closer inspection it was the speaker in driver door. I removed cover to see speaker was falling apart. Got a new speaker from local Sprinter dealer. They had it is stock for less than $30. All sounds good now.

I think the speaker in my driver door was most susceptible to damage from opening and closing door after over 10 years of use.

Any of the Mercedes speaker in dash and front doors can be obtained for a Sprinter parts department.

Good luck.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 11:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Crutchfield is a good resource for aftermarket speakers and install advice.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:25 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Liberty Township , Ohio
Dirkpitt,

After two+ years of tolerating the IMO sub-quality audio emitting from the OEM speaker set-up in my 2018 AIGT EXT, in March of 2021 I replaced both the front door panel speakers and the two rear coach speakers. I DIY'd all the work for it was not that difficult, just a bit tedious and time consuming.

Installed the same speaker at all four locations. I posted a brief write-up on the rear coach speaker install that I've referenced below, along with the product link to the speakers and a few other ancillary items.

When installing the front door panel speakers I unhooked the small tweeter speakers in the upper dash corners. I may have been fine leaving them connected, but since the replacement 2-way speakers I was installing had a tweeter, I did not want to risk any of the new speaker audio competing with the OEM tweeters and it maybe sounding odd. End result; these Rockford-Fosgate speakers sound excellent, good highs, good lows and everything in between. Plus they can easily handle those "oh I wish I were 25 again" moments when you might dial-up Van Halen's Eruption and turn the volume up high!

While I had the front driver and passenger door panels removed for the speaker install, I went ahead and applied Noico 80 mil Sound Deadening Mat. This is a foil clad butyl automotive sound deadener for the purposes of audio noise insulation and dampening. It's a very dense peel and stick product that was easy to work with as the objective was to apply it to all of the inner door panel's metal surfaces. I was extremely happy with the level of road noise reduction in the cabin area of the rig this product provided and now when you slam the door, it’s more of a solid "thud" as opposed to the hollow/tinny sound from the OEM set-up. There are a lot of similar peel & stick noise dampening products available, but this Noico product worked fine for me.

If you choose to tackle replacing the front door panel speakers you'll inevitably break multiple mint green colored door panel clips...buy a bag, you won't be sorry.

Additionally there is a spacer/adapter ring that is required for installation and proper fit of the two 6 1/2" front door panel speakers.

SPEAKERS
Rockford Fosgate T16 Power 6" 2-Way Coaxial Full-Range Speakers
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

NOICO 80 MIL NOISE DEADENING MAT
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DOOR PANEL CLIPS
https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/se...A20879&Submit=

SPEAKER ADAPTERS FOR 6.5” SPEAKERS TO FIT 2007-18 SPRINTER NCV3 CAB DOOR
https://www.ebay.com/itm/141887556531

REAR OEM SPEAKER REPLACEMENT POST
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...ml#post2464279

Good Luck!
Luckysnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Headphones...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote