Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2019, 05:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Dataw Island , South Carolina
CZone app

Has anyone figured out how to use the CZone iPad app to remotely view and control all the settings on the coach. This is standard on the I 19 and I believe one of the trailers. The setting page on the CZone panel has all the information including password information but...with my limited ‘geek’ knowledge I can’t solve it.....waiting for my grandson’s visit!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F54B342A-0899-4C51-A625-36A18151B2CB.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	333976  
skiphoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
The 2019 Interstate 19 does not have the WIFI on the CZone, only the Czone installed in Airstream trailers do. Look at the AI 19 Parts Catalog. Section II page 11, "Czone wireless interface-no WIFI."
1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 09:14 AM   #3
Rivet... Rivet...

2022 Interstate 19
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1919 View Post
The 2019 Interstate 19 does not have the WIFI on the CZone, only the Czone installed in Airstream trailers do. Look at the AI 19 Parts Catalog. Section II page 11, "Czone wireless interface-no WIFI."
I know this is an old thread, but it was one of the first I found when first researching this issue. I don't know about the 2019-2021, but I bought a 2022 Interstate 19 a few weeks ago.

I was told by both the dealer and Airstream support that there was no Wifi on the CZone. I was also told that there was no Airstream Connect Pepwave router. After digging through the menus I determined that in fact, I had both. They were simply turned off.
DavePDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 07:48 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePDX View Post
I know this is an old thread, but it was one of the first I found when first researching this issue. I don't know about the 2019-2021, but I bought a 2022 Interstate 19 a few weeks ago.

I was told by both the dealer and Airstream support that there was no Wifi on the CZone. I was also told that there was no Airstream Connect Pepwave router. After digging through the menus I determined that in fact, I had both. They were simply turned off.
--------
um? don't think that is correct. Please post if you find them on the parts list or turn one on. Could be you are seeing a button to nowhere? Behind the drivers seat is a panel that lifts and that is where the antenna leads lay ready and waiting. CZone is another critter.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 10:09 PM   #5
Rivet... Rivet...

2022 Interstate 19
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
--------
um? don't think that is correct. Please post if you find them on the parts list or turn one on. Could be you are seeing a button to nowhere? Behind the drivers seat is a panel that lifts and that is where the antenna leads lay ready and waiting. CZone is another critter.
It is absolutely correct, at least on my rig. In fact, today, I discovered that the front and rear Touch 5 panels have independent networks, so if you follow the steps on each, you will see there are separate SSIDs and passwords.

Here are the steps:

DOWNLOAD THE CZONE APP FROM THE APP STORE:
From the App Store search for the keywords: ‘Mastervolt’ or ‘CZone’ then download the app to your iPad.

USE THE CZONE Touch 5 Panel:
You can find the Network name (SSID) and password, on the Touch 5 panel, by navigating to Settings->Advanced->Wireless Server, and then changing the Server Mode to Access Point. At that point, the Touch 5 Panel will display an SSID (the network name, something like "GO5 XSE ####"), and the Password.

CONNECT YOUR IPAD TO THE WI-FI:
On your iPad navigate to Settings > Wi-Fi and select the name of the CZone network from the list of available networks, using the name and password that you discovered in the previous step. The networks announce themselves infrequently, so you need to be patient to see it show up in the list. Once connected:

Launch the CZone app:
Change the Wireless Server switch to "Enabled" (if needed), press the Connect button, then enter "User" for the username and "password" for the password.

At that point, you should see "Connected" and then a blank screen with 3 lines in the upper left corner. Click there.
For me, Favorites and Modes are empty, however, Control, Monitor, and everything else down the line, offers the full gamut of controls and monitoring. I was able to turn on the generator and AC and cool the vehicle down from inside my house, which was pretty sweet.

___

As for the Pepwave connection, I activated that from the Mercedes radio. It's been a few weeks now, and I don't recall the exact menu, but I remember I had to scroll way down the list to find it. Once I turned it on, I was prompted to sign up for a T-mobile Unlimited cellular data package (no contract) for $25/mo. While I'm not a fan of T-Mobile, and my AT&T Personal Hotspot works just fine for streaming to the FireTV stick I added, I thought it was worth a test run. It actually works quite well, except that it's tied to the chassis power, so it only runs when the car is running or in Accessory mode. It's completely independent from the CZone networks. A separate WiFi network entirely, with the SSID "DIRECT-MBUX xxxxx". When I turned it on, it displayed the password in the settings below the SSID. At some point I may add a switch to make it independent of the vehicle power, and a Verizon SIM/plan to make it a bit more useful, but it was fun to play with as it was, and occasionally useful.

Maybe I was just really lucky to have these pre-installed on my rig, or maybe it's common, that I don't know. But if it helps a few folks to unlock the magic as it did for me, I'm happy to share the info.
Old 09-11-2022, 10:54 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Way cool! Good work!!
Thanks!!!
Old 09-11-2022, 11:04 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Didn’t catch the rest of your post at first - But, the T-Mobile is part of the Mercedes package? I got that push as well and it wasn’t from a Pepwave unit.
Old 09-12-2022, 12:18 AM   #8
Rivet... Rivet...

2022 Interstate 19
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Didn’t catch the rest of your post at first - But, the T-Mobile is part of the Mercedes package? I got that push as well and it wasn’t from a Pepwave unit.
Yeah, it's very possible that I don't have a Pepwave unit. I haven't torn anything apart yet to look for the hardware. I just know I have 3 very distinct WiFi networks, 1 for each of the 2 CZone panels, and 1 for wireless internet. T-mobile was the only option when I activated the unit from the Mercedes panel, but I'm sure it would be possible to swap SIMs and buy from a different carrier.

It would be lovely to be able to use the iPhone Airstream Connected app, but as far as I can tell, that isn't possible yet on the Interstate. For now, the iPad CZone control does what I need.
Old 09-12-2022, 07:38 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

I'm happy for you and interested in hearing more as you get further into this. Send some pics of the setup if you get a chance.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:12 PM   #10
Rivet... Rivet...

2022 Interstate 19
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
I'm happy for you and interested in hearing more as you get further into this. Send some pics of the setup if you get a chance.
Thanks Dave. I'm pretty sure that I don't have a Pepwave router at all, though I haven't dug into the cabinet yet. I'm not really sure that I'd gain much by adding one, since apparently Airstream Connect isn't implemented on the Interstate. As it stands, I can control most everything from my iPad. It would be nice to be able to use my iPhone for control as well, but that's apparently not possible on the Interstate yet. I can use the Mercedes/T-Mobile hotspot or my personal hotspot (AT&T) from my phone to stream to my laptop or the FireTV I added. All working quite well so far.

What part of the setup did you want pics of?
Old 09-18-2022, 09:35 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePDX View Post
Thanks Dave. I'm pretty sure that I don't have a Pepwave router at all, though I haven't dug into the cabinet yet. I'm not really sure that I'd gain much by adding one, since apparently Airstream Connect isn't implemented on the Interstate. As it stands, I can control most everything from my iPad. It would be nice to be able to use my iPhone for control as well, but that's apparently not possible on the Interstate yet. I can use the Mercedes/T-Mobile hotspot or my personal hotspot (AT&T) from my phone to stream to my laptop or the FireTV I added. All working quite well so far.

What part of the setup did you want pics of?
Hi Dave, Darn! Hoped you got lucky! You may still want to look into the Pepwave.
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gear/pepwave-max-mini/

Pics: I'm curious about the yellow cable with the RJ45 connector in the wire harness behind the seat where the antenna leads and power connector are ended. Thought a picture might give a clue. If I remember correctly Uncle Bob speculated in a different thread that it may just be part of a universal wire harness used in another application and of no value in an Interstate.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:54 PM   #12
Rivet... Rivet...

2022 Interstate 19
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Hi Dave, Darn! Hoped you got lucky! You may still want to look into the Pepwave.
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gear/pepwave-max-mini/

Pics: I'm curious about the yellow cable with the RJ45 connector in the wire harness behind the seat where the antenna leads and power connector are ended. Thought a picture might give a clue. If I remember correctly Uncle Bob speculated in a different thread that it may just be part of a universal wire harness used in another application and of no value in an Interstate.
Here's a pic of the empty (no pepwave) cabinet. Just the pre-wire. My guess is that they use the Ethernet cable to connect to a WI for the CZone on a Connected enabled trailer. Maybe someday that will be implemented in the motorhomes.

For me, I'm not really seeing significant advantages to adding the Pepwave. I've got hotspots working with both my phone (ATT) and the MBUX system (TMobile). I can control the CZone with my iPad. It seems like if I really want significantly improved internet in remote locations, Starlink RV would probably give me more bang for the buck, plus I could toggle the data plan as often as I like and only pay during needed travel months.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9739.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	422823  
Old 09-25-2022, 02:04 AM   #13
Rivet... Rivet...

2022 Interstate 19
Portland , Oregon
I was able to modify the Modes on the Touch5 panels, using the CZone Configuration Tool, however, I haven't been able to figure out the login to use the WI Configuration Tool, which appears to be the only way to modify which controls show up on the iPad Czone 2 app. There are quite a few missing controls, and I don't see any Favorites or Modes when using that app. Has anyone figured out the user name and password for that tool?
Old 09-26-2022, 02:02 PM   #14

2022 Interstate 19
Edmonds , Washington
Are you able to connect to your van remotely now, or only when you are on the van wifi?
Gordon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 06:15 PM   #15
Rivet... Rivet...

2022 Interstate 19
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon T View Post
Are you able to connect to your van remotely now, or only when you are on the van wifi?
Neither. I am connecting locally through the wifi access point on either one of the Touch5 panels (they have separate SSIDs and passwords). The van wifi is just a Mercedes/T-Mobile hotspot. As far as I know, that’s not connected to the CZone.

As I understand it, on the newer trailers, Airstream uses a Pepwave router to bridge to the CZone and provide a hotspot (once an active SIM card is installed in the router).
Since Airstream apparently can “see” each system, I’m guessing that all remote communication is routed through their server.

All I’m really hoping to add is the ability to expand the iPad app’s local device control. The current app from Mastervolt is missing a number of devices that are important to me. But without the administrator login info, I can’t connect the WI Configuration app to the Czone.
Old 09-27-2022, 10:12 AM   #16

2022 Interstate 19
Edmonds , Washington
Thank you, @DavePDX. Yes, that is what I meant - the access point.

I think we both have the same van. I have installed the Pepwave Max BR1 Pro 5G, and aside from having to make an adapter from the 12V barrel plug to the Molex one on the router, it was very straightforward. I connected the pre-wired antenna cables, and connected the prewired ethernet/CAT5 cable to a LAN port. I opted for the Pro 5G over the Airstream Connected kit which includes the Max BR1 Mini (4GLTE) because I wanted to future proof. I have AT&T and T-Mobile SIM cards installed and I am able to connect to both cell networks and my home wifi from my driveway.

My current challenge is I wanted to use the Airstream Connect app, but Airstream won't help me sort out the configuration because I didn't buy the router through them. I will continue to try to work with their service organization, because I'm sure it is a router and C-Zone configuration that should be possible. I find it hard to imagine that the router in the kit is physically different that the standard Pepwave offering.

I was also able to connect to the C-Zone the way you described, I see the server name and IP address, but I don't know how to use that information to configure the Pepwave to connect.

Any thoughts you have would be welcome.
Gordon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 02:20 PM   #17

Bernardsville , New Jersey
My Interstate ‘21GL had the Airstream Connect. Airstream can control the router remotely via the Pepwave InControl app. I asked Airstream to remove my router from their license and purchased a InControl license so I could control/monitor/config the router either via a Pepwave app (peplink) or via browser. Works great, can even see the GPS from the browser.
ronb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:02 AM   #18
Rivet... Rivet...

2022 Interstate 19
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon T View Post
<snip>
My current challenge is I wanted to use the Airstream Connect app, but Airstream won't help me sort out the configuration because I didn't buy the router through them. I will continue to try to work with their service organization, because I'm sure it is a router and C-Zone configuration that should be possible. I find it hard to imagine that the router in the kit is physically different that the standard Pepwave offering.

I was also able to connect to the C-Zone the way you described, I see the server name and IP address, but I don't know how to use that information to configure the Pepwave to connect.

Any thoughts you have would be welcome.
I would also love to use the Airstream Connect app, although I don't really care about remote access, because I normally turn off the house when I'm not going to be in the van for any significant amount of time (to conserve battery power). Since I don't yet have a Pepwave and I've only glanced at the documentation, I don't know specifically how to join it with the CZone network, but that part seems possible. I would guess that the yellow ethernet cable connects to the CZone, and then you'd configure the CZone to be a client of the Pepwave network. The reason I haven't pursued it, is that I don't believe it will get me where I want to go, which is to fully control the Czone with my iPad, and ideally, with an iPhone as well. Without the credentials for the WI Configuration app, I don't think that will be feasible. Even then, the only iPhone app I know of is Airstream Smart RV Control, which relies on pairing your vehicle with the app. That can't be done on my Interstate 19, since the QR code isn't there. Maybe it could if I bought the Pepwave package from them, but corporate told me that wouldn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronb36 View Post
My Interstate ‘21GL had the Airstream Connect. Airstream can control the router remotely via the Pepwave InControl app. I asked Airstream to remove my router from their license and purchased a InControl license so I could control/monitor/config the router either via a Pepwave app (peplink) or via browser. Works great, can even see the GPS from the browser.
Airstream corporate told me that Connect was not available/implemented in the motorhomes, only the Trailers. From the comment by ronb36, this is not true, at least not true for the Interstate 24. I'm hoping that Ron can clarify whether after disconnecting from Airstream's license, he's still (or was ever) able to use the iPhone Connect app to control the house. If that's possible, I would gladly pony up for a Pepwave.

Otherwise, I can do most of what I want to do without it. After creating a MercedesMe account, I can use their iPhone app to locate the vehicle and lock/or unlock it remotely, and check the tire pressure and fluid levels. With the CZone iPad app, I can control and monitor -most- of the house. If only I could get the credentials for the WI Configurator, I'd be able to fill in the gaps.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:57 AM   #19
Rivet... Rivet...

2022 Interstate 19
Portland , Oregon
Sorry. In the above reply, I used the app name "Airstream Connect" when I meant to say "Airstream Smart RV Control". The latter is what allows you to control and monitor the CZone devices.
Old 09-28-2022, 05:29 PM   #20

Bernardsville , New Jersey
The ‘21 Interstates have the Firefly control, not the CZone. For the Firefly, there is an add-on to enable remote iPad control.
I was referring to the Airstream Connect which is used with the Peplink.
Hope this helps.
ronb36 is offline   Reply With Quote