Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2018, 09:12 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Cyber Monday for the Interstate?

A lot of sales flags popping into my inbox today...

Does anyone have any "can certainly live without, but might pick up anyway" suggestions on products?

Here's one that reminded me of the couple visiting San Antonio that had their brand new Interstate stolen from the Riverwalk:

TK905 Waterproof Vehicle Car GPS Tracker Locator

Airstream trailer owners have also talked about this type of device, because trailers are far more steal-able than MHs (unless a key fob is left in the MH in which case all bets are off, as the San Antonio travelers proved).

However, I was under the impression that most of these devices require a monthly subscription. This one is about $40 - $50 and says "lifetime free tracking" (supposing you remember to charge its battery every 90 days).

Am I missing anything here? Has anyone used one of these?

Other products? Other potentially-interesting deals in the context of the Interstate?

Thanks.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
A vehicle tracker... now that's a good thing to have for peace of mind.

Some of these devices plug into the OBD port, so I assume no need to recharge or replace batteries (?). Not having accessed my OBD port, is it hidden enough to not be glaringly obvious that you have this plugged in?

I read some reviews on these and found one highly rated that has no subscription fee for five years. Nice.

https://amzn.to/2R9No8S
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We have a full-time OBD diagnostic device plugged into that port. It would be cool if that device performed both functions, but at the same time, the point of having a tracker is that it can be concealed in bizarre places that a thief would never find (including under the chassis if necessary). An OBD port is readily accessible by anyone. So a thief who had any doubt could simply remove an OBD device.

There was debate a while back as to whether the Sprinter's security system could be overridden with special electronic tools. I don't know that any consensus was reached. If a Sprinter COULD be stolen that way, it certainly doesn't seem to be common. The bigger risk is that a fob gets left inside of it by mistake. It's something I'm always asking my husband to double-check, especially after the San Antonio Interstate theft. He'd prefer not to have to carry his fob when I have mine, but leaving it inside is obviously unacceptable.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote