Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2019, 07:38 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Morristown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

There are pipes that run under the floor of the trailer. At some combination of temperature and time they will indeed freeze. Things like the inlet pressure regulator (if your trailer has one) are vulnerable to this as well.

Bob
I thought the newer trailers furnace system was ducted in such a manner to keep the under the floor piping and tanks from freezing?
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:08 AM   #22
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
I thought the newer trailers furnace system was ducted in such a manner to keep the under the floor piping and tanks from freezing?
From the '19 Flying Cloud owner's manual:

"The furnace on Flying Cloud models, excluding the
20 ft. model, is ducted to provide heat to tanks and
plumbing to prevent freezing."

I had a Bigfoot 25' four-seasons trailer for nine years with the furnace ducted to the tanks. While you'll be fine while parked, I would caveat the owner's manual information with that the furnace will likely not be able to keep up with freezing temps while actually driving. It may do fine while you're parked, but if you're travelling in sub-freezing temps, even with the furnace on, you may experience frozen plumbing; and of course the colder the temps, the greater the odds of your plumbing to freeze.

The only safe way to do extended travel in sub-freezing temperatures is to winterize your plumbing. Any other "solution" may or may not work. And remember, the things most likely to break from freezing are your water pump, faucet bodies, and toilet flush valves. The pex plumbing is pretty tough... those items are quite fragile.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:57 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
If only forum words could convey the amount of joking I do, first off...I invite the poster who is from California to come to Iowa at -40 and see if Columbia Sportswear cuts it . Second, my post is not for people who are camping IN THE COLD, I want out!!

Ha.... but seriously, keep posting, I actually love seeing what trips your trigger, even if it is cold and snow!
And back to the sportswear, we purchased e-bikes last year and although I have been out snowmobiling, it's the bikes AND the clothing that I have found that keeps me out in the cold the longest so far after living in the midwest cold winters for a long time. Otherwise there's many of us who ditch the warm clothes and just stay inside most of the winter, which actually isn't good for you and it's more fun to be outdoors. Glad there's some of you that brave the cold in your Airstreams! I'm personally looking for warmer adventures but maybe I'll get brave enough to try it some day! Kudos to you! Love to see what you like in life, so keep sharing please!
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:18 AM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
Hi

That ducting only works just so well. You do have things like the city water inlet that are hanging out in the air far away from any furnace ducts. There's only so much they can do. Get enough wind going from the wrong direction and things may freeze up faster than you might think .... Are you ok at 10 F? Will you have a problem at 20F? Very much a "that depends" sort of thing.

Having your hot water heater split in half from freezing it going to cost a bit more than the back flow valve on the city water supply. Both will be a bit inconvenient. The odds of the hot water tank freezing when things are turned on and working is near zero.....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:47 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
The high today in Palm Desert CA is 98. Just saying.

Mike
Did you feel the recent 3.5 quake just north of Palm Desert?

Last time we were there, we had TWO in the 3-4 range but they were farther north so we didnít het the full quake.
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:03 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Non-random observation:

Birds sing because they have feathers. Joyous warm feathers.

Iím in deep east Texas during this record cold. For us, waking up to 25 - 35 degrees every morning in November is unusual. What saves the day is goose down blankets and clothing, because nothing else can match itís performance. I donít have goose down pants because we have so little need for that kind of investment here (about $200). But Iíve got my jacket and Rumpl. Itís a good thing. With the usual surface area to volume challenge that the Interstate presents, thereís no keeping it warm at or below freezing even with the furnace.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote