Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2015, 05:37 PM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Dark cabinets!
Black seats!
Dark cabinets!
Black seats!
If you end up spending a full 24 hours straight or more in the back of an Interstate due to thunderstorms or other inclement weather, a dark interior can get oppressive really fast, especially with so little open space in the aisle. Light interior with dark accents to relieve the monotony is better for continuous occupancy.

Which is what I have in mine. When I bought my 2012, there was only one seat color (what they call "oyster" now, I think), and two choices of interior finish, "light camel" with dark counter-top, or "dark onyx" with light counter-top. Mine is light camel with dark counter-top.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If you end up spending a full 24 hours straight or more in the back of an Interstate due to thunderstorms or other inclement weather, a dark interior can get oppressive really fast, especially with so little open space in the aisle. .
Are you claustrophobic?

I actually am and yet, do not find my interior oppressive. It is actually quite comforting
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:34 PM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
Are you claustrophobic?
Only in caves. But my Interstate also has the full-height wardrobe closet, which makes for a mere 19" wide gap in between the bathroom and closet, all the way from ceiling to floor. Narrow enough that I have to turn half-sideways to get past because my shoulders are wider than 19". So the effect of dark furnishings in that configuration would be to make the middle of the van— where the walls really do close in— more like a cave. Light-colored cabinetry lessens the effect.

Besides, I've been an apartment-dweller all my adult life, and all of my apartments, from college to today, have had white interior walls. Dark-colored walls just feel weird to me.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:06 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
We decided early on that we didn't like dark on dark or light on light in terms of the interior. Its not a judgment. This is such a personal decision, they all look great. That's what makes it hard

Anyways, thanks again for all the help.
jtrichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:33 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
If you end up spending a full 24 hours straight or more in the back of an Interstate due to thunderstorms or other inclement weather, a dark interior can get oppressive really fast, especially with so little open space in the aisle. Light interior with dark accents to relieve the monotony is better for continuous occupancy.

Which is what I have in mine. When I bought my 2012, there was only one seat color (what they call "oyster" now, I think), and two choices of interior finish, "light camel" with dark counter-top, or "dark onyx" with light counter-top. Mine is light camel with dark counter-top.
I disagree, but not trying to change anyone's mind.
I think the coach has enough windows/lighting to overcome the dark feeling.
Simply stating my personal preference.
Your Interstate, your money- get what you want, but if I were to buy an Interstate...
And yes, mine would be silver.
our new automobile is silver with black interior. It is the only combination I want.
But that is why they paint them all different colors and have grey or tan seats, too.
I saw a new Cadillac the other day with a blue interior- very pretty, but not me.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:07 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrichel View Post
We decided early on that we didn't like dark on dark or light on light in terms of the interior. Its not a judgment. This is such a personal decision, they all look great. That's what makes it hard

Anyways, thanks again for all the help.
Minefield of a topic, but I believe there is actually a bit of objective truth in your opinion. If you look at established design principles, you'll find plenty of reference to the need for contrast. The human eye responds best when it is able to differentiate easily between objects in the field of view. In interior design, you can usually spot elements of light, medium, and dark in the most successful compositions. I will spare the more rigorous discussion of hue, chroma, and value, other than to note that it is pretty obvious to me how Airstream's Interstate designers have evolved year by year their concept of how those parameters should be best expressed in light of current design trends.

In small spaces, I tend to prefer lighter objects in the foreground and darker in the background. In large spaces, my preference is the opposite. But I'm severely myopic and that might have something to do with it, because many other people do not feel the same way. In the Interstate photo triptych that I posted, my relative preference is the middle one, but all of the current designs are more masculine than I would prefer in absolute terms.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:09 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Estill Springs , Tennessee
Color choice

We have dark cabinets and black seats and love the combination. Very classy but comfortable and light because of windows. Like the comments above it's personal preference and you'll enjoy your decision. Have fun traveling with family.
rjjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:34 AM   #28
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjjef View Post
We have dark cabinets and black seats and love the combination. Very classy but comfortable and light because of windows. Like the comments above it's personal preference and you'll enjoy your decision. Have fun traveling with family.
Love this look too

I think the dark interior has plenty of contrast with light countertop, light suede walls, light colored shades and aluminum ceiling.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #29
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Only in caves. But my Interstate also has the full-height wardrobe closet, which makes for a mere 19" wide gap in between the bathroom and closet, all the way from ceiling to floor. Narrow enough that I have to turn half-sideways to get past because my shoulders are wider than 19". So the effect of dark furnishings in that configuration would be to make the middle of the van— where the walls really do close in— more like a cave. Light-colored cabinetry lessens the effect.

Besides, I've been an apartment-dweller all my adult life, and all of my apartments, from college to today, have had white interior walls. Dark-colored walls just feel weird to me.
Makes sense. I thought about the full height wardrobe and decided against it for that very reason.

Not sure how I will feel inside a cave these days. I used to be fine but we will find out when we venture over to Carlsbad Caverns later this year.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:02 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
While I do not have a dog in this race, my opinion would be to go with the dark seats and light cabinets. Why? I cannot stand fingerprints and I have owned a car with light beige leather seats- never again. Tans are good but not off white IMO. Fingerprints might show on those dark glossy cabinets. Don't know, just sayin.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:43 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
While I do not have a dog in this race, my opinion would be to go with the dark seats and light cabinets. Why? I cannot stand fingerprints and I have owned a car with light beige leather seats- never again. Tans are good but not off white IMO. Fingerprints might show on those dark glossy cabinets. Don't know, just sayin.
Normally I would agree with both of those but in the case of the Interstate, the light colored upholstery is very easy to keep clean (maybe because it's not leather) and the dark finish does not tend to show fingerprints.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote