Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2022, 03:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Ocala , Florida
Angry CRAZY dealer charge to perform AEM recall before Oct. 1st!

OK so we took our van into a dealer a couple of days ago to get the rear ABS wheel sensor recall done and the AEM emissions recall done before October 1 to be able to participate in the class action lawsuit. Received a text from the dealer advisor letting us know that in order for them to be able to do the AEM emissions recall for the class action lawsuit they would have to remove the step to the tune of $1286.56 !!!
Video link says (I think it’s pretty hard to hear ) that they cannot replace the DEF heater without removing the step.
Has anyone else had to pay this insane charge to get this emissions stuff replaced? Obviously we are down to the wire so don’t have much choice in the matter and I am out of town for a couple of days so I couldn’t go down there and even look at it myself
KatieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieZ View Post
OK so we took our van into a dealer a couple of days ago to get the rear ABS wheel sensor recall done and the AEM emissions recall done before October 1 to be able to participate in the class action lawsuit. Received a text from the dealer advisor letting us know that in order for them to be able to do the AEM emissions recall for the class action lawsuit they would have to remove the step to the tune of $1286.56 !!!
Video link says (I think it’s pretty hard to hear ) that they cannot replace the DEF heater without removing the step.
Has anyone else had to pay this insane charge to get this emissions stuff replaced? Obviously we are down to the wire so don’t have much choice in the matter and I am out of town for a couple of days so I couldn’t go down there and even look at it myself
They have to fix your DEF system before they can perform the AEM. That cost should be to replace the DEF heater. Yes, they have to remove the step to get access to the DEF tank. You can thank Airstream for that. The cost you quoted is less than what I paid to get my DEF heater fixed a few years ago and it included removing the step. It is only held in by a few bolts and the shop should be able to do it.

The AEM replaces the SCR and some sensors in the exhaust system. Hopefully the tailpipe that Airstream installs is still in good shape because the Mercedes dealer won't be able to get that part. The stock Mercedes Sprinter exhaust pipe after the SCR will not fit in an Interstate. Mine was totally rusted away and I ended up replacing it myself with stainless steel pipe. Other members on this forum have been able to get a muffler shop to fabricate a new pipe.

The custom Airstream exhaust pipe is expensive and unavailable when I checked on it last year.

Keep in mind you will get $3,590 from Mercedes when the AEM is completed, and you file your claim. You also get a new 48,000 mile/4 year warranty even if you don't file a claim.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 06:23 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Ocala , Florida
I understand your reasoning. What’s crazy to me is that the service advisor said that the defect/check engine light in our DEF system IS covered by the recall and that the almost $1300 charge is to merely remove and replace the step after repairs are made
Old 09-25-2022, 07:10 AM   #4
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
I understand your reasoning. What’s crazy to me is that the service advisor said that the defect/check engine light in our DEF system IS covered by the recall and that the almost $1300 charge is to merely remove and replace the step after repairs are made
Can you remove the steps yourself? Is so, take 'em off and call their bluff.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 02:08 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Nemo , South Dakota
Quote:
The following is part of an MB response to an FAQ regarding the check engine light being lite when the vehicle is brought in for the AEM.

"Issues that arise in the vehicle prior to the Emission Modification (“EM”) being approved and ready for installation on the vehicle, including affected components which would be replaced as part of the EM, are the responsibility of the Owner/Lessee."

You don't say if your CEL is on or that an error is present for the DEF heater. Is the light on or is the dealer just telling you there is a problem with DEF heater? The DEF system storage and delivery components are not affected by the AEM. If the heater in fact needs to be replaced, the AEM will not cover this cost.
clarklaflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:57 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Basalt , Colorado
I had an appointment at my MB dealership to repair the affected warranty issues prior to last date to file my paperwork for the lawsuit. I was told it would take a week, we live 3 hours away and made plans to be there and drop off the night before. Received a call from a “new” service agent that said they would need it a month! Not good as we are leaving in 3 weeks for last trip of season. Bad for MB, bad for attorneys who gave a deadline that can not be met by MB for various reasons. UGH- bad taste in my mouth!
Jasper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Steps

I would have any competent ASE tech at a shop remove your steps and reinstall them.

MB is out of control on their labor rates. Techs are worth the money but the service writers over bill.

Maybe this is why Airstream has ventured into the Ram gas side of bvans. I wish they would ditch MB and move to the Ford chassis.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 07:04 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Jamestown , Mars
Quote:
Since removing the step is part of the work REQUIRED to do the recall, it should be no charge. I've have work done on past vehicles that require removal of other parts (fender, intake manifold, etc) and have never been charged. If it's necessary to do the recall, then it's part of the recall. And if it's a few bolts, as someone mentioned, you might just remove it yourself.

You could tell them to figure out how to do it without charging you for required work. Honestly, I'm tired of shops coming up with new and inventive ways to reach deep into my pocket. I took a class at the local tech school in diesel engines so I have a handle on what's going on and can do some repairs myself. And I'm 71. Local dealer has told me it will cost $xxxx to repair Y. I can order the parts and either do the work myself or take it to the tech school and let them do it. That has taken care of over 90% of "repairs" the dealer said I needed on the diesels I own AND we have found at least 20% of what I've been told had to be done wasn't needed or was just a simple swap (that one would have cost $1633 at the dealer. Part was $85 and took 25 minutes to remove and replace in the driveway).
xyzabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 07:27 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Ocala , Florida
They say the step is an “upmarket” installation and not covered. Apparently our step has more than the several bolts that need to be removed before work can commence. Dealer also recommended an additional $5300.00 in routine maintenance work……PASS!!!
Old 09-26-2022, 09:28 AM   #10
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
You have options: figure out how to remove and reinstall the step yourself, hire a mobile RV mechanic to do that for you, or ask your dealer to do it. Any of them would be less expensive than having an MB mechanic do it for you. There's really nothing to see here, though I certainly wish there was a simpler solution. Get it done, or don't. Your time, your money, your decision. Best wishes, and best of luck!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Hats off to you xyzabc for learning something new and taking the initiative to repair your own vehicles!

Just to clarify, the step removal may be required for the DEF fluid heater repair. I don’t know for sure but thinking that might be the case. Just so no one is confused that it’s a charge for the AEM recall, I don’t believe that is the case. The AEM recall is of no charge to the owners. Pretty positive this is two different problems and sadly the DEF fluid heater is not covered by Mercedes-Benz.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote