Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2018, 06:33 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
Since we have a lounge model we leave the bed in place all the time. We like the two separate areas using the front four seats as living area with bed room in the back. We do have separate twin bed size mattresses with my wife’s mattress modified to fit on the jump seat in the up position. This leaves space in the middle making it easy to access the overhead cabinets while standing, and also easy to get in and out of the bed. If we had the GT model we would have to find an effective way to have a comfortable bed that we could take down and store away every day. In that case I would probably want a GT with twin beds rather than the couch.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:53 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Leland , Michigan
Couch or bed

We have a 2018 Grand Tour Ext and found after a couple of long trips that it works best for us to leave the rear couch deployed but not the rear side seats which leaves a U-shaped configuration. So much easier for reaching the overhead storage compartments—and getting out of bed in the middle of the night to use the head. ;-)

I cut two twin foam mattress toppers to fit this configuration and altered twin duvet covers to fit them which are easy to remove and wash so no need for a bottom sheet. Depending on weather we use individual lightweight down comforters or heavier down sleeping bags. During the day I cover the bedding with a spread I made to fit and matching shams. At night they are stored in the large rear overhead compartment.

Another suggestion if anyone else has had a problem with the hard trim piece on the rear side seats hurting your hips when the bed is made up, we had an auto/ marine trim shop cut down the upholstered side “arms” that cover the mechanism between the couch and seat about 2”. So much more comfortable now!
Puckmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:20 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Ocala , Florida
Everybody seems to have their twist on how to leave as couch/bed set up, as I thought it would be. Some pretty good ideas too.
Xterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:26 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Another reason that we (read: my wife) likes to keep the bed position full time is that it looks much neater and more presentable when the curious want a peak inside at a fuel stop, rest area, campground, etc. Part of the morning ritual is I go around back to open the doors and help her make the bed. I only get out of this duty if it is raining too hard.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Yep, that’s exactly what I had, Lotus 54.

If you don’t have a Velcro-in screen for that back opening, they are a great purchase and allow all the airflow without the bugs.

I’m going to install mine in the new rig over the winter.

Maggie

I’m sure you posted it someplace- but since I can’t remember...
Where did you get the Velcro-in rear screen? Or did you make one?

I’ve rarely had any bug issues at all, but certainly time will come when it IS an issue. (Perhaps since most of the time stopping is just overnight, not ‘camping out’ in one place for longer. )

Thanks
Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
No, I didn’t make it...that would be IB who can and does do such things.

We bought ours, which attaches with Velcro all the way around and has a zipper up the middle.

Googling these, I don’t see our maker online, but there are lots of others.

Or, if you are clever with a sewing machine, or know someone who is, they seem pretty straightforward.

My new-to-me interstate has a very nice, homemade screen for the side door that attaches with Velcro and rolls up out of the way.

I’d take a picture of it for you, but the rig is in storage.

Another option might be what we did for the cargo door in the old rig, which was one of those removable, tension pole patio door screens.

They are inexpensive, of good quality, take up little storage space and do a pretty darned good job.

Maggie
Old 11-10-2018, 06:17 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
Where did you get the Velcro-in rear screen? Or did you make one?
I sewed my own and went with magnetic because I heard somewhere that the velcro strip attachments can get wet and then hold water next to the metal, which didn't sound appealing to me. There's enough exposed metal around the T1N rear doors that neodymium dots will do the trick. Except at the interior roofline, where there is a small trim piece which I simply removed.

I used no-see-um screen. The bottom panel is solid fabric because it serves as a deterrent to our dog pushing through the thing. She's pretty good about NOT doing that, but I wasn't going to leave any enticements.

I've also occasionally had raccoons climbing up on the hitch carrier in the middle of the night, so a solid fabric piece on the bottom helps to discourage them from entering as well.

#vansizedsewing

Edit: I actually made two. The original spanned both back doors, but then we added the hitch carrier and the Yeti cooler and I decided I would routinely only screen one door.

Hard to see the detail as it is black:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote