Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Corrosion Around Windshield

I have a 2016 AI GT Ext and have had the windshield removed to replace the glass due to a crack. The shop found extensive corrosion around the frame. Rust, bubbling paint etc. This is disconcerting to say the least. This is a west coast vehicle (So Cal) so it has not been exposed to corrosive environments like salt etc. Has anyone experienced this? I will post on Sprinter Forum as well.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5662.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	356319

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5667.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	356320

I have contacted MB and they are looking into it.
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:17 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I have been working with my dealer in Temecula for the past two weeks. I got the vehicle to their facility after completing my other repairs and Mercedes will cover the repair of corrosion around the windshield. There were about a dozen (12) places all around the frame that had obvious rust/corrosion/paint bubbling. On a 2015, the corrosion warranty covers 5 years unlimited miles for all outer panels, less for interior panels. The estimate to repair is a bit less than $5,000. My shop wanted considerably less at $1200 but they were not a certified body shop. There is some duplicate work as well for having to remove and install the new glass again. Very thankful that MB is taking care of this issue. The certified shop indicated that they see corrosion in this area on other vehicles so it is not as rare as I was led to believe. Always inspect this area if you are having the windshield replaced and inspect regularly for any evidence of corrosion.
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote