Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2022, 09:18 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
2022 Interstate 19
Gloucester , Massachusetts
Contemplating buying Airstream interstate 19, have some questions

Hello, feeling a bit excited but also nervous and may be a bit impulsive… I previously had a pick up truck with a Bambi 16 and as a single female, it was too much for me to handle on my own. I could not back it up at the end of the trip And ended up selling it because I was in over my head. Also, at the time I had two kids living at home and only one of them enjoyed going off on camping expeditions. I am an empty Nester now. Thinking of purchasing the interstate 19, it seems super easy to manage and I would not have the issues of towing and backing up that I had previously. I am curious for those on this model if you had to do it again, would you still get this camper? Has it worked out well for you? I’m feeling a bit of wanderlust… I got a dog and she is keeping me tied to the house and the thought is with the camper we could just takeoff and go here there and everywhere.

Are they hard to winterize? Is it difficult to maintain all the systems? Especially for someone who is not entirely a newbie but effectively a newbie?

What do you know now that you wish you knew before purchasing?

I’m looking at a 2022… Currently in stock, the 2023s will cost approximately $18,000 more so I’m feeling a bit of a time crunch. Ideally I’d love to rent one as a trial but there aren’t any even remotely close to me in Massachusetts. And the ones I have seen for rent or not pet friendly. Regarding my dog, she is as uncomplicated as they come. Loves to drive in the car, loves people loves other dogs.

Grateful for any thoughts you could share. Thank you so much
Indoorsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:24 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Do you like space or is small okay? Is the dog large or small? Great to drive, park, and even relatively easy to wash. Backing up is easy and it has a good turning radius. It has everything in compact form. If you are into comfort it's great for driving from motel to motel and great for a few consecutive nights in a van. Campsite stay is easy to setup and take down. When you are inside your extra stuff is outside. Winterizing is typical, not difficult. Macerator pump makes that black tank dumping task easy. Good videos on Youtube for more info. Heard due to supply problems some models are getting substitute navigation and no adaptive cruise so good to check if it has all the bells and whistles from Mercedes? Feel free to contact us if you think we can help with any other details. We would purchase again without hesitation.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 09:30 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
A pretty good video:
https://youtu.be/xVFNwUvCnDw
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 03:45 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
2022 Interstate 19
Dave G, thank you so much... the video tour was great!!, thank you for providing the link. Wow, she was so thorough! I have watched a lot from Patrick so this was a bonus.

As for the dog, she is 25 pounds, fairly mellow. I think in terms of space, I wouldn't be living in it, just weekend traveling and when I can (work wise) longer. So I think the shorter size and being able to maneuver it easily is more important to me than storage. I'm so glad to hear you'd do it again without hesitation. I'm still pondering but feeling like the timing is right (or maybe more like, you can always come up with a reason why the timing isn't right, but then you'd never do anything).
Old 08-23-2022, 06:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

Plus for the B van for a single woman - if you’re camped somewhere and feel uncomfortable, just hop in the drivers seat and leave. I had an Airstream B190 ( precursor to the Interstate) . I loved how easy it was to “ just pick up and go camping” but I couldn’t do long term travel in it. It was too small for me for that.
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I didn't realize how much I liked our Interstate until a recent week-long trip to AK where we rented a 31' Winnebago on a Ford chassis. Can't really compare the living quarters as they are aimed at different markets - sleep 2 vs sleep 8 . But now appreciate my Interstate even more. 17.5 versus 9.5 mpg. Turning radius. Visibility. Manuverability.
Parking. Power. Macerator vs. stinky slinky, ...
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
One of the downsides to a class B is related to how much "local" travel you do while camping. With a trailer, you can disconnect the TV from the trailer and use the TV to go sightseeing, grocery shopping, etc.... With a class B, you need to disconnect any hookups and secure your stuff anytime you want to leave the campground.

Not that that's a deal breaker but you need to be aware of it.
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 11:28 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 19
Land O Lakes , Florida
Hello. Hubby and I just finished our inaugural Fl to CO to FL adventure in our AI19. It was EASY! One of the concerns I had as we debated which RV to buy was the ease of driving for me. Honestly, I was intimidated by towing or by driving a Class A (nope! wasn't going to happen.). So we ended up with our "Lil Squirt" and couldn't be happier. After only 1 hour behind the wheel, I found myself tasked with driving thru the Rockies. No problem at all!. It truly felt like a bigger version of the minivans I drove when our kids were growing up. Seeing another comment in this thread about driving away if you don't feel safe is spot on too. Good luck! Valorie
jpvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 11:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I have a 24 foot, but my doggie is a bit of a space hog. The extra length helps.

What about going places while you're camped. I have two approaches:

1. Tow the car behind the AI. The car needs to be lightweight and "four-down towable" (meaning that it can be towed with all four wheels on the ground). The Hona Fit with manual transmission suited me, but there are other options, too. Main thing is the "four down" part and the light weight.

2. Bring a bicycle. I have a small folding bike. (One of these days, I need to figure out how to attach a plastic milk carton to it.) It can go either folded up into the Honda, or I can carry it unfolded on an inexpensive cargo-carrier platform on the back hitch of the AI.

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb...ier-66983.html

Lynn
Old 08-27-2022, 03:31 PM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I didn't realize how much I liked our Interstate until a recent week-long trip to AK where we rented a 31' Winnebago on a Ford chassis. Can't really compare the living quarters as they are aimed at different markets - sleep 2 vs sleep 8 . But now appreciate my Interstate even more. 17.5 versus 9.5 mpg. Turning radius. Visibility. Manuverability.
Parking. Power. Macerator vs. stinky slinky, ...
Hi

We've spent a lot of time over the last 4 months in AK looking at the rental class C's in front / in back / to the left / to the right of us. We've watched folks struggle with this and struggle with that. Yes, part of it is *exactly* what we did on our first trip out in an RV. They are on their first trip ....

Every time we head down a "highway" up here, I'm very glad I've got the X. The dirt / gravel pavement gets potholes and washboard pretty quick. The snow on the road is an added bonus here or there.

Would I like a little more room? Sure. Is it comfortable riding in the "back seats" on those same fine roads? Nope, not even close. I can't imagine how those folks sitting in the back of the 31' survive ....

Most cringe worthy moment ... look at the departure angle on the 31'. Now look at this or that part of the campground or road turnoff or whatever. No the Sprinter isn't as good as a tricked out Jeep, still it's light years ahead of that 31'.
(Yes there is a very specific name and brand you see on all the 31' class C's. Names redacted to keep this from turning into an brand specific bashing session )

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 11:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
We have the 24’ Interstate and a 19’ Airstream International. I think you would really like the van instead of the trailer. I find pros and cons to both, but being in a 16’ Bambi, you were limited on space before, so you are used to that.

We toured the 19 at a RV show, and I thought it was a little cramped compared to the 24, no offense at all to those of you have it. I’d actually consider looking at one eventually, but not sure we could adapt easily. It depends on what you are using it for though. We like to camp and take items for golfing and biking, along with outside stuff…cooking, gazebo, etc. The extra room and storage helps a bit in the 24 vs. a 19.

Thought I’d love an electric sliding door like the 19s have until I saw the broken belt situation on these forums.

I do camp by myself, and although there is a learning curve, it’s not super hard to operate yourself. Backing and driving are pretty easy really other than on windy days. Winterizing is a little easier with two people but can be done fairly easily with one. There’s enough videos and info out there to get it done yourself. I did both van and trailer myself on the very last day of the season before freezing and it took less than an hour.

One bit of advice, I’d purchase some sort of memory foam for the folding lounge, if you can find room to store it. It’s made a drastic improvement in the sleep situation. Also keep in mind they do get warm for doggies unless you run the generator while sitting or you need to be plugged in.

We also use our Interstate for traveling while camping. It does take a little time to disconnect, but not bad. We purchased a little trailer that makes it easier to pack up and just put a chuck on the wheel at the campsite and unhook so we can drive away more easily. I prefer the van over the trailer if we are going even a couple hours away. Having water and a bathroom on board is great for going almost anywhere. I like the room in the trailer, but prefer the Interstate at this point, I think.

Good luck with your decision!
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 03:15 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
2022 Interstate 19
First, thank you all for your thoughts and apologies for the delay in responding...

UPDATE: the 2022's that were available sold quickly, before I was mentally ready to pull the trigger so those are gone. I wanted to see the AI19 in person and did so this past weekend in Hershey. The 2023's are a bit too $$ for me. While at the show, the folks from Colonial mentioned a 2021 with low miles that was recently traded in and I have put a deposit on that so I am on my way.

Let the adventures begin!
Old 09-19-2022, 04:39 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24GT
Ponte Vedra , Florida
Get one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indoorsy View Post
Hello, feeling a bit excited but also nervous and may be a bit impulsive… I previously had a pick up truck with a Bambi 16 and as a single female, it was too much for me to handle on my own. I could not back it up at the end of the trip And ended up selling it because I was in over my head. Also, at the time I had two kids living at home and only one of them enjoyed going off on camping expeditions. I am an empty Nester now. Thinking of purchasing the interstate 19, it seems super easy to manage and I would not have the issues of towing and backing up that I had previously. I am curious for those on this model if you had to do it again, would you still get this camper? Has it worked out well for you? I’m feeling a bit of wanderlust… I got a dog and she is keeping me tied to the house and the thought is with the camper we could just takeoff and go here there and everywhere.

Are they hard to winterize? Is it difficult to maintain all the systems? Especially for someone who is not entirely a newbie but effectively a newbie?

What do you know now that you wish you knew before purchasing?

I’m looking at a 2022… Currently in stock, the 2023s will cost approximately $18,000 more so I’m feeling a bit of a time crunch. Ideally I’d love to rent one as a trial but there aren’t any even remotely close to me in Massachusetts. And the ones I have seen for rent or not pet friendly. Regarding my dog, she is as uncomplicated as they come. Loves to drive in the car, loves people loves other dogs.

Grateful for any thoughts you could share. Thank you so much
Get one now if you can. Prices to go up quite a bit. Plus new Mercedes engine and 4wheel drive system.

We never were into Motor homes/trailers until got an interstate 24GT. And love it. Takes a learning curve but easy to drive and park
CRCMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 05:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
First, thank you all for your thoughts and apologies for the delay in responding...

UPDATE: the 2022's that were available sold quickly, before I was mentally ready to pull the trigger so those are gone. I wanted to see the AI19 in person and did so this past weekend in Hershey. The 2023's are a bit too $$ for me. While at the show, the folks from Colonial mentioned a 2021 with low miles that was recently traded in and I have put a deposit on that so I am on my way.

Let the adventures begin!
Congrats Indoorsy!

I bought two Class B's from Colonial Airstream. Very good people there and a top notch service department. Only trouble is trying to get some work scheduled as they're always booked out months in advance.

I'm not too far from you in neighboring NH and that was another thing, every time we scheduled service, that was 5 hours away. Make sure you keep a running list so that you get the best bang for your time while there and just plan on making a trip out of it as that's what we always did. Great beaches in Jersey. You can do the warranty work anywhere you like but we just liked going to where we bought it and were happy with their service. There a few campgrounds near Colonial as well.

There is also Liberty Harbor RV park (paved campground) in Jersey City, NJ that is about one hour from Colonial. It's right a cross the river from NYC and you can take a ferry or train across if you wanted to. If you do stay, make sure you visit Razza's Pizza which is walking distance from the "campground" and always rated in the top three best pizza in the NJ/NY Metro area and 4th in the US. We always stay here at least once or twice a year but a bit pricey at $135 per night but worth it as you're close to everything and can walk every where.

Good luck with your purchase.

Liberty Harbor:
https://www.libertyharborrv.com

Razza Pizza:
https://razzanj.com
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I think everyone has to make a decision based upon their style of travel. To me Class B’s are for those who will travel more instead of stay in one spot for a long time. We were camping this past week and our neighbors had a very nice Class B Unity. I asked them how the liked it. They said they are considering a travel trailer trailer. Kind of surprised. When I asked them why it was a room issue, and they had rented a car nearby so they didn’t have to drive their Class B around.

I have thought about a Class B+ very seriously. The problem is I love my pickup not just for towing the AS. And frankly I don’t mind hooking up, towing, and backing up. Comfortable with it. Plus a Class B just means another mechanical system I have to take care of. Just don’t need the extra hassle. But I can see if backing up was a problem you could hate a trailer. And if you travel a lot, makes perfect sense.

If I was the OP I would check out other Class B’s. There are some really nice units out there with very nice plans.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:18 AM   #16
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Yup, PleasureWay Ascent is another good 19' option if Sprinters are your thing, and there are a variety of 19' Class B Sprinter-based models in the "adventure van" category if that's also your thing.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 09:10 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
2022 Interstate 19
I went down to Hershey over the weekend and saw basically ALL the competitive models. It was hard to make the decision without having all the info. I also saw the new RAM airstream model (cute).

I liked the Grech Turismo Ion very much. But very expensive and they've only been doing this a couple of years. It just seemed too risky for the money.

If anyone is still reading this... Can I ask WWYD? I am contemplating two models

(1) I put a deposit on a used 2021 4x4 AI19 Tommy Bahama with black chassis. This has 14K miles on it. I would be the third owner (my concern if I were to sell it, the buyer would be the 4th owner, yikes, seems like it might be a harder sell).

(2) The dealership is offering me a 2023 new 4x4 AI19 Silver with Modern Greige for $20K more than the used one. I'm apt to go for the 2023 but wanted to ask how you'd evaluate this equation?

Does anyone have any information on what is new for 2023? Any changes over the 2022 or 2021 models?

Thank you in advance. :-)
Old 09-20-2022, 09:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
(1) I put a deposit on a used 2021 4x4 AI19 Tommy Bahama with black chassis. This has 14K miles on it. I would be the third owner (my concern if I were to sell it, the buyer would be the 4th owner, yikes, seems like it might be a harder sell).
I would be more concerned with why two previous owners turned it over that quickly especially on a 2021. One is understandable but two the red flags start to come up. There could be some issues with that rig and I'm just guessing here.

If you're still interested in the 2021, I would get an independent inspection done and have Colonial reimburse you for it if they still want to sell it to you.

Personally - I would pass on that rig.
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:18 AM   #19
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Agreed, I'd get an independent inspection of the 2021 unit. I'm a fan of buying gently used, so don't feel like I'm trying to talk you out of doing that.

I'm not worried about the number of owners, per-se, but the condition of the unit after two relatively quick flips is something you should probably investigate. Make sure they take a hard look at the state of the fresh tank and wastewater system in particular. For example, if that van has a macerator pump, electric hose reel and electric waste valves, there are at least four things that could go wrong with that system alone: leaking or failed macerator pump, waste tank valves that could be jammed or not working right, hose reel not properly extending and retracting, and kinks in the macerator hose from being over-extended and reeled in backwards. A couple of other things to have the inspector verify: no damage from water leaks and no damage from rodents. The list is longer for any RV, even a new one, but this would be a good start.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 11:16 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
2022 Interstate 19
Stogieman, Rocinante, thanks for weighing in...

I hear ya! I'm leaning toward the new one - maybe would be more apt to go for the used if the cost differential was higher - not that $20k is chump change. But I'd be financing so the monthly payment probably wouldn't be a huge difference.

I don't have any info on Owner #1 - Owner #2 bought it as a bridge while awaiting the one they had on order which took longer to come in than optimal.