Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2021, 12:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Mount Jackson , VA
Coffee Maker Receptacle Location?

Out of frustration, I am asking for your help identifying the receptacle that is deemed the "coffee maker receptacle" in the owner's manual. It is only referenced as one of the controlled circuits and in what order each one (including the coffee maker receptacle) is shed. Good information, but which receptacle is it? I have searched the whole owner's manual. Trying to get more educated on our AI while we wait for spring.

Happy New Year!
MountainLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:34 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainLife View Post
Out of frustration, I am asking for your help identifying the receptacle that is deemed the "coffee maker receptacle" in the owner's manual. !
In my 2014.5 Lounge, I found the outlet stuffed behind the back wall of one of the upper cabinets over the galley. The coffee maker itself was discontinued sometime before that and the outlet was simply hidden away out of sight.

I think sometime after that, they removed the coffee maker wiring entirely but never updated the wiring diagrams.

I have owned 5 Airstreams and the diagrams did not match the hardware in any one of them.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
In my 2014.5 Lounge, I found the outlet stuffed behind the back wall of one of the upper cabinets over the galley. The coffee maker itself was discontinued sometime before that and the outlet was simply hidden away out of sight.

I think sometime after that, they removed the coffee maker wiring entirely but never updated the wiring diagrams.

I have owned 5 Airstreams and the diagrams did not match the hardware in any one of them.
Same on my 2013 Lounge - wire were stuffed behind an upper panel. I installed a receptacle inside that upper cabinet that I use to recharge my electric tooth brush.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:55 AM   #4
old/new member

Austin , Texas
coffee maker receptacle for IS 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainLife View Post
Out of frustration, I am asking for your help identifying the receptacle that is deemed the "coffee maker receptacle" in the owner's manual. It is only referenced as one of the controlled circuits and in what order each one (including the coffee maker receptacle) is shed. Good information, but which receptacle is it? I have searched the whole owner's manual. Trying to get more educated on our AI while we wait for spring.

Happy New Year!
It is not possible to read all posts, even in this stay at home climate, but occasionally i stumble on some good info. The 19s appear to not have this option but it seems that plugging any high current device, like a coffee maker, into the outlet in the upper cabinet used by the microwave would be a good idea. This outlet is energy managed and should be shed if necessary. Any comments?
preedtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:38 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Don't need it with brewed Coffee.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31BDA360-A2FF-4D54-BBCB-8E2268D6DEE4_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	386143  
Old 01-03-2021, 11:22 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
Circuit Overload

We have a small electric space heater for use when we’re hooked up to shore power. We plug the heater into a handy outlet near our front door. Without thinking, we often plug our coffee maker into the outlet handy to the galley. Turns out, both outlets are on the same GFI circuit. The combined load is too much by half and the breaker pops. Early in the morning, it takes a few seconds to realize we’ve done it again—overloaded the circuit—so, after rubbing sleepy from eyes and killed the heater, it’s down on hands and knees to fiddle with breaker panel door and fiddle with single GFI breaker to get a reset.

For obvious reasons, the outlet handy to the galley counter should be on its own breaker. CURRENT DEMANDING APPLIANCES WILL BE USED THERE.

Our 2018—almost new—Flying Cloud 30RB breaker panel includes an unused breaker label stripe with on overlaying sticker upon which can just be discerned—with a magnifying glass—what passes for breaker IDs: at the top of the sticker labeling is printed “R.7 15A INVERT-BLURAY-LNG-TV’S.” Would that be Receptacle 7 . . . 15 amps . . . Inverter – BluRay Player – LNG (whatever that is) – TVs. The sticker label continues, in its illogical way, through R.6, R.5, R.4, AIN 50A (could this be “MAIN 50A”), R.1, R.2 and, last but not least, R.3.

What idiot organized this list then reduced it to ultra-small print. A few inches away is yet another sticker covering the DC fuse label stripe, and, hey, not only is it rendered in the same tiny “runes,” but it’s affixed sideways. To get a reading of these ridiculous labels I was forced to photograph them, mount them on my laptop and blow them up. (No real help is found in the Flying Cloud owner’s manual re what breaker or fuse controls what outlet, and, yep, I’ve been back-and-forth through Rich Luhr’s Newbies and Maintenance books.)

It will take me the better part of a day to “ring” these circuits and relabel, and that’s a day I could have been outdoors fishing or photographing birds . . . or, damnit, SLEEPING IN.

User Unfriendly. Very.
John & Roberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:41 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
Airstream Academy

We’re busy with other things, but here’s an idea that should make someone some money—Airstream Academy, three-to-five days of Airstream Ops school call. (As purchasers of a used trailer, we got a one hour walk around.)
John & Roberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:52 AM   #8
Contributing Member

Galley outlet

I removed the folding counter extension in my GT. With all that counter space, it is totally unnecessary.

I hate the overhead galley outlet with wires dangling on the counter.

In the place of the counter extension, I installed an outlet that I wired to the microwave outlet beneath the counter. With a 3/4" thick mounting block, there is plenty of clearance next to the microwave. I use the new outlet for coffee making or for a small hot plate to make pancakes. I know I can not use the microwave at the same time, but I have no problem remembering to use one or the other since I am standing right there.

I now very seldom use the overhead outlet and my counter stays clear of dangling wires.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-03-2021, 12:00 PM   #9
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Roberta View Post
We’re busy with other things, but here’s an idea that should make someone some money—Airstream Academy, three-to-five days of Airstream Ops school call. (As purchasers of a used trailer, we got a one hour walk around.)
Our WBAC club, in concert with our local dealer, puts on a 2-day course for newbies at a local RV park each year and may go to twice a year. The two days of courses are mainly aimed at trailer owners, but should be useful for AI owners as well.
WBCCI #9632