Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2020, 04:31 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St auguatine , Florida
Clicking Sound In Wall or Under Driver Side Seat

Hi, while everything currently appears to be working on my 2018 AI Grand Tour, a consistent clicking started this morning. It sounds like it is coming from under or behind the back seat on the drivers side. I am connected to a 50 amp with an adapter and have been for weeks. The air is working and everything else is too. What could it be & how do I get rid of it?
I’ve been connected to the spot for several weeks , leaving only to empty the tanks. There are no blown fuses in the box under the back seat where the sound is strong but I am no electrician. Any ideas? I’m worried!
carpenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:54 PM   #2
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
If it is under the driver's side jump seat, I would suspect that the battery manager is clicking. That happens when it connects the coach batteries with the start battery. I can hear mine click when it connects. An occasional click is normal. Repeated clicks would not be. That said, I can't diagnose the problem.

It could be the battery manager or it could be the inverter causing it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:02 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
If it is under the driver's side jump seat, I would suspect that the battery manager is clicking. That happens when it connects the coach batteries with the start battery. I can hear mine click when it connects. An occasional click is normal. Repeated clicks would not be. That said, I can't diagnose the problem.

It could be the battery manager or it could be the inverter causing it.

Well, @Pahaska thanks for your reply! As a result I started the engine and ran it for a few minutes and almost two hours later, no clicking ! I’m thankful it’s gone but concerned about why it happened in the first place. Also it was a reminder that for some reason the chassis indicator on the multiplex has always read in the red even with a brand new engine battery. Think there is a connection?
Old 07-18-2020, 07:13 PM   #4
Contributing Member

IMHO, the battery manager that is original equipment is an obsolete piece of junk. It would never surprise me if it got into some sort of off again on-again sequence if the battery voltages just happened to be on the edge.

Many of us have replaced it with the Blue Sea ACR, but that is not a task for the non-technical.

My voltages on the touch panel, both the coach and the chassis battery, read odd at times though the wiring is correct. I replaced one USB charger with one with a built-in voltmeter and it always reads properly, even when the touch panel is showing a low battery.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-19-2020, 07:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
IIRC the stock BIM checks voltages every 4 minutes, which may be the clicking that you hear.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:17 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
IIRC the stock BIM checks voltages every 4 minutes, which may be the clicking that you hear.

The clicking is back after a night and morning of silence! The CHS reads 0.0 while HSE is 14.8 . As soon as I started the engine, clicking stopped. Can you literally spell out what you mean @Titus. I’m a novice at this stuff.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:20 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
IMHO, the battery manager that is original equipment is an obsolete piece of junk. It would never surprise me if it got into some sort of off again on-again sequence if the battery voltages just happened to be on the edge.

Many of us have replaced it with the Blue Sea ACR, but that is not a task for the non-technical.

My voltages on the touch panel, both the coach and the chassis battery, read odd at times though the wiring is correct. I replaced one USB charger with one with a built-in voltmeter and it always reads properly, even when the touch panel is showing a low battery.

Thank you for the tip. As I say below, after a night and morning of silence, the clicking is back & it stopped as soon as I started the engine which I am going to run for a while. Wonder if I should disconnect chassis battery... will see
Old 07-19-2020, 10:53 AM   #8
Contributing Member

I hear infrequent clicks when my battery manager connects the start and coach batteries. I don't usually hear it drop out.

The fact that starting the engine stops the clicking indicates that it is the battery manager making the noise. Possibly a bad battery, either chassis or coach. The battery manager, itself, is pretty primitive, but it could have a bad internal component.

Is there someone available with a voltmeter and some basic electrical skills? All it would require is a voltmeter and it should be a fairly easy bug to shoot.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-11-2020, 01:34 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
UPDATE to Clicking sound under Driver’s side jump seat: It appears to be the solar controller so I am planning to replace it but have another question: the existing controller is apparently obsolete and the PVCM40D MPTLi is listed as a “drop in” replacement. Just wanted to find out if anyone can confirm this . Attached is pic of my current controller and the listed “drop in”. Thanks to everyone for helping me “ do it myself” for a change! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2689.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	389.9 KB
ID:	378249Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	378250
Old 09-18-2020, 09:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenc View Post
UPDATE to Clicking sound under Driver’s side jump seat: It appears to be the solar controller so I am planning to replace it but have another question: the existing controller is apparently obsolete and the PVCM40D MPTLi is listed as a “drop in” replacement. Just wanted to find out if anyone can confirm this . Attached is pic of my current controller and the listed “drop in”. Thanks to everyone for helping me “ do it myself” for a change! Attachment 378249Attachment 378250
If you do replace your solar controller (you may want to wait until your current battery situation is resolved), go with a Victron unit with built-in bluetooth. Cheaper and much better than the model listed (all of them are basically drop in, although most won't work with your solar wall monitor). But the Victron bluetooth phone app will provide much better info and you can repurpose the old wall monitor with one on these for more 12V/USB power outlets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote