Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2018, 07:52 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
In our application with the seat removed and custom building a bike rack for two road bikes secured the rack with two QR fork fittings we will use the existing seat bolts to secure the new bike rack to the floor so it does not become a flying saucer in the event of a rapid stop, sharp corner of accident.
Gulliver
Would like to see a picture or 2 of your finished indoor bike rack!
Old 04-24-2018, 09:14 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B View Post
Would like to see a picture or 2 of your finished indoor bike rack!
+1 - Long time and old time road bike racer here, always on lookout for anything custom bike rack mods, especially ones done inside the unit.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:06 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Same here, forgot due to high price, but for the very serious off-gridder it would be ideal. Maybe they'll come up with a tamer 'city-dweller-full-hookups' version that would be cheaper (wishful thinking)
Not necessarily wishful thinking. Not long term, at least.

A funny thing happened to me on my way to work the other day, duh. In my line of business (industrial services), I cross paths with a kaleidoscope of professional individuals. By chance, I ran into a truck body manufacturer. That is A Thing - there are companies out there which do nothing except make specialty truck bodies. I sent the salesman a follow-up email and I said, take a look at Earth Roamer. Look at their body. AFAIK, it's proprietary to them and there's no competing body on the market, at least not of that caliber. And Earth Roamer doesn't sell their shells. People are going to want shells like that. Think about whether that kind of offering might fit into your business plan.

Heh heh. The ol' college try. Someone will make the product eventually, that product of which you speak. Maybe it will be that company.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #44
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
South Glastonbury , CT
Finished custom inside bike rack

The custom rack to carry 2 road bikes behind the driver's seat (where the 3rd seat was removed) has been finished. The bikes are at an angle, with a cut-out for each chain ring. The entire unit is attached to the flooring, using slightly longer bolts than Airstream had for the seat that originally occupied that space, same diameter.
Both bikes are attached to the rack using a fork mount quick release.
The space within is perfect for stowing our propane grill (shown here inside it's cover).
The aisle-side bike's mount needed to be up on a block of wood to allow the table top to slide out.
Perfect!
Gulliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:50 PM   #45
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Gulliver, sounds great, but can't see the photos.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:54 PM   #46
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Heh heh. The ol' college try. Someone will make the product eventually, that product of which you speak. Maybe it will be that company.
I may be dead or completely spent all my money by then

Quote:
The custom rack to carry 2 road bikes behind the driver's seat (where the 3rd seat was removed) has been finished.
Could not see your pic. Not sure if issue is on my end. Long time cyclist here and always interested in interior bike carrying options. Not sure I am ready to give up one of my mid seats YET, but someday I may be able to. Really want to see the setup
Old 06-14-2018, 05:36 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Need the pics. Really interested in seeing the end result. Once we get our oldest to college this fall we are talking about removing that same seat but adding a kernel that goes to the counter height of the galley. Make it out of the same laminate that would match, etc.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:51 AM   #48
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
South Glastonbury , CT
Finished custom inside bike rack

Apologies. Here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	custom bike rack in Gulliver.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	313985  
Gulliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:01 AM   #49
Prof. of Pending Projects

Orlando , Florida
Not what I was expecting to see... that came out really nice. The details on the wood work...very nice

!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:43 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Gulliver very nice bike rack. Thanks for sharing. Looks like you can even set it on the ground next to you if you're at a stop.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #51
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Not what I was expecting to see... that came out really nice. The details on the wood work...very nice
Yes, same here. At first, did not understand the chainring cutout. I was expecting the fork mount on the floor level. The pic says so much more than 4 paragraphs worth of description. Did not expect the ramp. Seeing it makes sense in how it can utilize vertical & horizontal space to minimize floor space bike occupies. And why not, we have all that unused vertical space. Nice!

BTW, I always prefer transporting my bikes inside, even my cheapo daily trainer. It is definitely the way to go
Old 06-14-2018, 02:22 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Apologies. Here it is.
Nicely done Gulliver, I like your design and finish work! It sure makes better use of the space than another captain's chair!

We have not yet got around to removing that same seat from our Lounge to make room for additional storage.

In the meantime however, I have been researching different products to use and have found a company 80/20 that have aluminum modular components that can be assembled much like an erector set.

I can envision using this method to build a storage unit in the same area that you have placed your bike rack.

Here's a link to a youtube video that shows it being used in a DIY Sprinter van build;

Mark
Old 06-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
RigRat very nice recommendation on the 80/20 will be watching that again tonight on the computer. The 80/20 also sounds good for us because living in Phoenix the interior temperatures on the trailers can be extreme sitting in the sun all day.

Hittenstiehl
Old 06-15-2018, 07:26 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
For the benefit of less-obsessed readers, Kenetube and Georgera are two of the most impressive Sprinter DIYers at this point.

Both of them relied heavily on 80/20 products for their builds. My husband and I did too, but only for our solar rack (blog posts here).

That video linked in the post above is one of Kenetube's. He spends time on Sprinter Forum, where he goes by another username that I cannot recall at the moment.

Georgera spends time on Class B Forum. It's worth looking at his album of build photos, which are here:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...pwUFY2dmhaVF93
Old 06-15-2018, 07:39 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thanks IB that will be some good research to do.

Hittenstiehl
Old 06-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #56
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Georgera spends time on Class B Forum. It's worth looking at his album of build photos, which are here:
I am afraid to look, until I get an allowance increase from wife
Old 06-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
No sense delaying the inevitable. Go ahead and look. And be forever ruined.

It was Georgera who inspired me to add a Lagun table, although IRRC, he only uses one receiver, not two.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:21 PM   #58
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
No sense delaying the inevitable. Go ahead and look. And be forever ruined.
Of course I just had to see it. To copy one of your comments - "I can't unsee that". I am not exactly ruined, but may have insomnia for awhile. Love it
Old 10-28-2018, 08:25 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
I've decided I am going to go back to a motorhome. I am done with hitching...I don't want to hitch a trailer behind my truck or go back to hitching a tow vehicle behind a motorhome. So, I am deciding between a B or B+. The age old decision...ease of driving and parking a B versus the extra room in a B+. I go back and forth on this. Any input from the group is welcomed.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:07 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

Washington & Key Largo , Pa. & Fl.
Roadtech
One significant difference is the B is constructed inside a factory assembled crash tested vehicle. The B + and C are built on a cab and chassis that the converter attaches a body to.
There are multiple You tube videos demonstrating what happens to those bodies in the event of a severe crash or rollover.
Obviously a different animal but some of the Prevost appeal is the build out inside a stainless steel factory shell versus most class A motor homes built up around a truck frame and engine.
LewK is offline   Reply With Quote