Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2021, 02:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Check History of Regen of your DPF regularly

It is good practice to check the history of regeneration of your diesel particulate filter (DPF) often:

1. To verify it is regenerating most of the time based on mileage travelled (every 900km is the distance setpoint).

2. To verify regen is completing within the typical time of 700-1000 seconds.

3. To verify it is completing any interrupted regens. In my 30,340km of usage, have had 3 regens interrupted due to engine being turned off and the resumed-regens completed. 2 of the 3 resumed-regens were interrupted again but the subsequent resumptions completed.

4. To keep track of any unusual events. In my case, I had 1 event where the regen was due to differential pressure (input vs. output) at around 22,000km. It had only travelled 420km from the previous regen but already called for another regen. It's to be expected that as the filter loads up, it may force a regen before it reaches the 900km setpoint. Not necessarily a sign of a problem (yet) with the filter but it helps to know if/when they occur.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	404106   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	404107  

Name:	pic3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	404108   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic4.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	404109  

Name:	pic5.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	404110   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic6.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	404111  

Name:	pic7.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	404112   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic8.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	404113  

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:48 PM   #2
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Mine are occurring anywhere from 330 miles to about 440 miles, the lesser figure when there is city driving mixed in. I just turned over 60K and my rig works hard at 11K GVW. Autel shows my ash content at .01lbs, I thought there was a way to see it in grams but I may be thinking of my AutoEnginuity software. I am not sure but I thought the newer NCV3 Sprinters had bigger DPF filters than the older ones which could enable longer periods between regens, mine is a 2010. Prior to my ownership there were many interrupted Regens but since my ownership there have been none and I intend to keep it that way even if I have to finish one at high idle. They seem to like to occur at the worst times, like just when arriving at destination.
I don't know why my fuel consumed does not appear.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ash.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	404114  
Old 09-15-2021, 02:58 PM   #3
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Here is a thread noting the different sizes of DPF filters in the NCV3
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...threads/87879/

Does total fill level allowed = soot plus ash or just soot? In either case mine should regen as soon as it reaches it's next operating temp, I am 1 gram over because I've started it a few times while working on it but not allowed it to reach operating temperature because I knew a regen was due and would be very inconvenient to let it happen in the garage.

I will be curious if AC use increases regen frequency as it does on my TDI, at least in city driving. Have driven the Sprinter mostly with AC on except for the long uphill grades.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Autel shows my ash content at .01lbs, I thought there was a way to see it in grams

They seem to like to occur at the worst times, like just when arriving at destination.

I don't know why my fuel consumed does not appear.
Quote:
Does total fill level allowed = soot plus ash or just soot?

I will be curious if AC use increases regen frequency as it does on my TDI, at least in city driving. Have driven the Sprinter mostly with AC on except for the long uphill grades.
BRIAN,

Yes, AUTEL let's you configure metric. IIRC the 'Settings' menu should be right after 'Login'. I set it that way from years ago coz it's easier for me to mentally track grams rather than decimals of a lb.

My experience has been similar - the regens seem to coincide with the longer trips. But then again, most of our trips are in the 500-600 mile (10-12hr) category. That puts at least 1 regen in that trip.

My 'Fuel consumption since last regen' does exist but it only shows 0L. No idea why.

I am not seeing a 'Total Fill Level Allowed' parameter displayed in my history or live data. But I see separate readings for soot and ash (see pic). If your MY shows that 'Total Fill Allowed' parameter, I can only assume it would account for both since both reside in the DPF? My ash is still sitting at 0g. That is mostly what I am interested in since it's the ash accumulation that eventually leads to needing an expensive DPF cleaning.

Like you, I have only driven the AI with A/C on regardless of outside temps. We always drive windows up. So my regen frequency of 900km is with that constant A/C usage. Since we only use the AI on long trips and not as a 2nd vehicle for daily use, that may explain why the majority of my regen intervals (28 out of 33) are falling in the +900km setpoint. The other 4 are (840,830,780,710km). And 1 outlier of 420km is the one that was forced due to Differential Pressure instead of mileage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dpf1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	404136  
Old 09-16-2021, 07:49 AM   #5
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Alex,
My vehicle does not show total fill allowed, I got that from the discussion at Sprintersource that I linked showing the various sizes and capacities of DPFs.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Alex,
My vehicle does not show total fill allowed, I got that from the discussion at Sprintersource that I linked showing the various sizes and capacities of DPFs.
BRIAN,

Ah, ok. I see it now. My bad, the brain just latched-on to the values (72, 26, 30 grams) and totally missed those 3-words when I was reading it. So according to that data, yours & mine are identical DPF size:

"2010 – 2018 OM642 NCV3 Bluetec North America
8.25” x 5.5” = 196 Cubic Inches 196 = 3.2 Liters 8g/L = 26 Grams is the Total Fill Level Allowed"

I have no reason to doubt that data - but it is interesting that it is much smaller compared to older NCV3 and even slightly smaller than the 4-cycl NCV3.
Old 09-19-2021, 01:34 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post

It is good practice to check the history of regeneration of your diesel particulate filter (DPF) often.
Is there a way to check the history or regen on older models, I haven't found that read-out on my 2014 Sprinter.
Ryoungca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:15 AM   #8
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoungca View Post
Is there a way to check the history or regen on older models, I haven't found that read-out on my 2014 Sprinter.
It's done with a scan tool, one of the more affordable ones is Autel which is the one we are using in the screen shots. Generic scan tools from the big box stores won't get you much on a Mercedes product
Old 09-20-2021, 08:05 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bellingham , Washington
Which Autel model are you using?
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoungca View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieJ View Post
Which Autel model are you using?
Like BRIAN, I use the Autel product line. Specifically to keep permanently (1 in AI and 2 more in our daily drivers) I have the Autel AP200 so I don't have to carry the larger & more expensive units. It still queries a good amount of usable data in case of trouble on the road. And they are not that expensive, I think less than $100 when I purchased years ago but much cheaper now.