Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2016, 07:05 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Just had to have a nox sensor replaced in my unit when I got back from my latest trip. The check engine light had come on during a previous trip but went out before I could get to an MB service center. On this trip it came on when I was about 1/3 of the way through this trip. I knew Def wasn't the problem, checked the oil it was ok, so I continued on my trip. We were gone a little over 2 weeks before we go home, took it to my service center and they replaced the sensor. During the whole trip the check engine light stayed on but there never was a warning about number of starts left. Guess I was lucky.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:32 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalwyn View Post
Just had to have a nox sensor replaced in my unit when I got back from my latest trip. The check engine light had come on during a previous trip but went out before I could get to an MB service center. On this trip it came on when I was about 1/3 of the way through this trip. I knew Def wasn't the problem, checked the oil it was ok, so I continued on my trip. We were gone a little over 2 weeks before we go home, took it to my service center and they replaced the sensor. During the whole trip the check engine light stayed on but there never was a warning about number of starts left. Guess I was lucky.

What year is your rig, and did you spend much time idling to charge batteries or run the inverter? Also how many miles are on it?
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:16 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
All these reports of diesel emission problems remind me the early days of gas emission controls back in the 70s.
Me too. I mentioned to my husband the other day that, if we knew 2 years ago what we know now, we'd cough up $36K for a naked Sprinter and we'd design and build our own Class B. To which he replied that the fly in that ointment is that the T1N is probably a stronger platform for what we want, and this is one of the reasons why (no twitchy emissions controls).
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Southaven , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
What year is your rig, and did you spend much time idling to charge batteries or run the inverter? Also how many miles are on it?
My unit is 2015 Grand Tour. I don't idle except at stop lights, inverter is always off, miles are about 11,000 first time the light came on was during a spring camping trip had about 6,000 miles then, but the light went out and did not come back on until this trip.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gallatin Gateway , Montana
2017 Interstate Grand Tour - 1100 miles on odometer, P2002 error code

Engine check light came on during trip at around 700 odometer miles. No other warnings or messages so continued trip till we got home. Ran an OBD II scanner and found error code P2002 (diesel particulate filter efficiency below threshold B1)! Will take into dealer later this week to diagnose/repair and will report outcome afterwards. Other than check engine light being on, rig drives as if no issues.

Hope this isn't a sign of things to come!
diesel particulate filter efficiency below threshold

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p2002
Copyright OBD-Codes.com
Diesel Particulate Filter Efficiency Below Threshold B1
bob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Check engine light, 10 starts remaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob323 View Post

Engine check light came on during trip at around 700 odometer miles. No other warnings or messages so continued trip till we got home. Ran an OBD II scanner and found error code P2002 (diesel particulate filter efficiency below threshold B1)! Will take into dealer later this week to diagnose/repair and will report outcome afterwards. Other than check engine light being on, rig drives as if no issues.

Copyright OBD-Codes.com

Have you inadvertently use biodiesel greater than 5% (higher than B5)? It's very easy to make that mistake.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:46 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Perhaps the ECM didn't call for a burn-off of the DPF causing the low efficiency reading. The DTC doesn't always point to the component causing the problem. For that one needs the comprehensive troubleshooting fault tree usually found in the factory service manual.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:55 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Have you inadvertently use biodiesel greater than 5% (higher than B5)? It's very easy to make that mistake.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Not really sure. Did fill-up at very busy/new Racetrack in Mobile, AL before I left but had been running off previous fill-up from same station (even same pump) for over a week without any problems.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:11 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I believe some of the engine tuners turn off this 'feature' when they flash your ECU. I would hate to be stuck traversing through the Yukon on the way to Alaska and need to find a dealer within 10 engine starts.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:08 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
BUTLER , Pennsylvania
I had the same problem with my 2014 AI. It had some bad sensors. Had to take to shop twice before problem was resolved. I have had no problem since. When the say 10 starts they mean 10 starts. After 10 starts the van will not start and you will have to be towed. A real pain in the butt
BOBCONEYBEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:23 AM   #31
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Glad I ran across this thread. On a recent trip my DEF "starts remaining" warning came on but it gave me different readings (started at 9, then went to 10 then 16 and finally cleared). Thought it was probably a computer error but now having read some of your posts I scheduled an appointment to have it checked out at my dealer before my next trip. Seems like it should be covered by the emission's warranty.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob323 View Post

Copyright OBD-Codes.com
Took to dealer and problem resolved (I hope)! Had to replace Differential Pressure Sensor and reinitialize! Check Engine Light now off and AI drives fine - EXCEPT .... On way home, Collision Prevention Assist crapped out with error message! Back to the dealer tomorrow. This is getting OLD! I want my old Roadtrek back!
Old 12-07-2016, 11:03 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
Angry

I have the same problem... its been at the colonial airstream service dept for a month and now they are sending it to mercedes. What a pain... I am so disappointed that I want to sell it back to Colonial but he only offered me 25k less than what I owe so I guess I am stuck with it. I hope mercedes fixes my DEF issue... hopefully it is just sensor and all will be fine but still a pain.

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:46 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

FYI - Collision Prevention Assist problem was resolved with M-B software update. Seems to me that the M-B dealers ought to check version of software and update it as part of their 21-Point Inspection program when routinely servicing rather than wait until the software 'breaks'!
Old 12-08-2016, 05:52 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Southaven , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jackie View Post
... its been at the colonial airstream service dept for a month and now they are sending it to mercedes.
I'm surprised that they even consider looking at an engine light problem. I don't think MB would send them a part even if they could diagnose the issue. I believe they should have immediately sent you to an authorized MB service dealer. I had a nox sensor replaced in my unit about a month ago and it took about 1 1/2 hours to diagnose and replace. I hope you have better luck after it is fixed.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:09 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jackie View Post
I have the same problem... its been at the colonial airstream service dept for a month and now they are sending it to mercedes. What a pain... I am so disappointed that I want to sell it back to Colonial but he only offered me 25k less than what I owe so I guess I am stuck with it. I hope mercedes fixes my DEF issue... hopefully it is just sensor and all will be fine but still a pain.
Agree with Dalwyn. Colonial should have sent you straight to a Mercedes dealer. Bad on them! I would also get frustrated by an Airstream dealer that leaves my vehicle sit for a month and then says they can't fix. They should have know that the first day if any mechanic had looked at it.

Take it as a lesson learned for everyone. If you have a vehicle problem, check engine, transmission, lights etc. take it to a Mercedes dealer. Only go to colonial for the back end RV components.

I'm sure Mercedes can fix it - heaven knows they have had a lot of DEF problems on Sprinters.

Good luck!
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:12 AM   #37
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
Glad I ran across this thread. On a recent trip my DEF "starts remaining" warning came on but it gave me different readings (started at 9, then went to 10 then 16 and finally cleared). Thought it was probably a computer error but now having read some of your posts I scheduled an appointment to have it checked out at my dealer before my next trip. Seems like it should be covered by the emission's warranty.
Got my AI to the dealer yesterday and they found a loose wiring connection. They ordered a part and plan to have it back to me tomorrow. I'll report later what part they replaced.

When I started the unit (it had been sitting for about 3 months) I had to crank it twice for about 10 seconds each time before it finally started. There were no codes so tech thought it was because it had sat so long. Guess I'll plan to start it occasionally while it's in storage. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 01-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #38
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Got my AI to the dealer yesterday and they found a loose wiring connection. They ordered a part and plan to have it back to me tomorrow. I'll report later what part they replaced.

When I started the unit (it had been sitting for about 3 months) I had to crank it twice for about 10 seconds each time before it finally started. There were no codes so tech thought it was because it had sat so long. Guess I'll plan to start it occasionally while it's in storage. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Bill
Picked up AI today. Tech found a loose solder connection on the drive train can bus (located under passenger floor board). Tech replaced the can board and everything tested out ok.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:

Thanks,
Bill
Just starting it in storage is probably worse than just leaving it. It would be better to take it out of storage and drive it about once a month.

Do you really need to store it? Can you just keep it as a second vehicle and drive it at least once a week for 30-50 miles? That's' what I do when home and not traveling with my Interstate.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Old 01-19-2017, 04:55 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Picked up AI today. Tech found a loose solder connection on the drive train can bus (located under passenger floor board). Tech replaced the can board and everything tested out ok.
Thanks for the follow-up. Sounds like you have a good smart tech to service your Sprinter. They are like gold!
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge