Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2017, 06:41 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Just starting it in storage is probably worse than just leaving it. It would be better to take it out of storage and drive it about once a month.

Do you really need to store it? Can you just keep it as a second vehicle and drive it at least once a week for 30-50 miles? That's' what I do when home and not traveling with my Interstate.

Mine is stored at home in the garage, but once a month I take it out, drive it to the next town (36 miles round trip) and stop on the way to run the generator under load for 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:56 PM   #42
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Just starting it in storage is probably worse than just leaving it. It would be better to take it out of storage and drive it about once a month.

Do you really need to store it? Can you just keep it as a second vehicle and drive it at least once a week for 30-50 miles? That's' what I do when home and not traveling with my Interstate.
The way we use ours (rv trip about 4 times a year) we are able to turn off the Liability and collision insurance while in storage (Good Sam) so it's not practical to drive it occasionally. The insurance has to be on for a minimum of 1 month then off for a minimum of a month. It is easy enough to start it up occasionally as it is in our carport. I also try to run the generator monthly and load it with the A/C. This last time I let it sit for about 3 month between starts and suspect that was what created the starting issue. I think I just need to be more consistent.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:48 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Just joined this "elite" group. Headed out for a long trip....and the dreaded Check Def lit up. Stopped and filled the tank. Did not clear and in fact the "10 starts remaining" message showed up a few miles down the road. Fortunately, it was only 40 miles from our home Sprinter dealer.....that's where I am sitting now. Fingers crossed....
Old 02-03-2017, 11:14 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Verdict in.......NOX sensors.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:25 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
Check engine p205c and p22a1 box sensor

W
2013 interstate in the middle of a 5 k vacation and had same thing for mikes with no 'countdown' start. ,
We checked codes at auto zone and it was p205 c "reductant tank top low" (3 times) and p22a1 nox sensor. We had just added def after 2 k miles ( as instructed ) -'d smaller ammonia gas and white residue coming out of exhaust on side. Took it to nearest dealer and found our scr catalytic converter almost flooded with added def. sensor went bad ( Mercedes sprinter guy said common 40k to 80k miles depending on how often you idle (not good to idle I guess). We didn't get count down which he says is more typical but still have to get to new scr cat and def warmer. I guess with the sensor off it can flood cat and get you to start warnings which is serious. Luckily we are under warranty . Unluckily we are on a short week vacation and stuck in Portland Maine ( there are worse places). And they needed to ship part of course. I am glad we stopped. It's annoying but wait has put for this we had check engine in yellow for many miles without warning Bc I think there was no def in system ( which I learned here van doesn't require to run) but with sensor out it just keep adding and flooded cat.
Kdselly is offline   Reply With Quote