Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2022, 02:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Chassis battery

My Sprinter battery is 10 years old. Still starts fine but am considering proactive replacement before it fails. Anybody know if the MB battery is AGM? Trying to decide between Autozone's two batteries that fit - one AGM ($229) and one not ($199). Is there any advantage to having AGM batteries in both the coach and chassis as far as how well they play together via the BIM?
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:56 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Magnolia , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
My Sprinter battery is 10 years old. Still starts fine but am considering proactive replacement before it fails. Anybody know if the MB battery is AGM? Trying to decide between Autozone's two batteries that fit - one AGM ($229) and one not ($199). Is there any advantage to having AGM batteries in both the coach and chassis as far as how well they play together via the BIM?
The newer MB batteries are definitely AGM and regardless of what you currently have, AGM is the direction I'd go. The benefits of AGM over lead acid or EFB far outweigh the $30 price difference (e.g., they charge faster, last longer, etc).
WeekendBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 05:07 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Mount Jackson , VA
Smile

We replaced our chassis battery proactively shortly after replacing house batteries. We bit the bullet and bought it from a MB dealer. With the price of these rigs I don’t like to quibble over relatively small expenses. We’re enjoying our first camping weekend as I type. #vanlife
MountainLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Titus, I was thinking the same thing as I had it at the dealer for service a few months back and had them check the battery. They said that it was still good. Ours is about 7 years old and not looking to risk it and will be replacing it soon too.

I was going to replace it with AGM as well and don’t see an issue with it when I researched it. I have a 2015 and don’t believe that ours is an AGM. I read the Mercedez manual battery section and didn’t get an answer. Going in next week for an inspection sticker and I’ll ask.

I did ask Precision Circuits if there would be any issues with the BIM and they said absolutely not. Not sure if you have still have the original PC BIM or changed it to something else. I replaced mine with the LI-BIM 225.
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:30 AM   #5
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
I have the Oreilly's Superstart AGM in my 2010 Sprinter, it's been in there over 2 years and I love it. The charge profile for AGM is so close to FLA there is nothing to worry about (not to be confused with gel cell which is totally different) The Oreilly's Superstart AGM is made by East Penn (Deka) which IMO makes some of the best lead acid batteries out there, including GC2's. Last weekend I bought another Superstart AGM for our Infiniti.
Right now if you buy one there is a $15 rebate for store credit.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
AGM battery in our Interstate 2014.5. We replaced ours last year along with the one under the footwell. We put a set of Exide batteries in. You should be fine with any AGM brand battery, just remember not to let it go dead.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Got an inspection sticker today at my local Mercedez dealer near me that has a dedicated Sprinter side. Been going there for a while now and very happy so far.

I asked if the current battery was an AGM and the service manager said no but also said that installing a replacement AGM will not be a problem.

While there I also asked if there was an easier way to remove the EGR valve and he said no. They have cleaned a few and he said that they lost money on the last few that they’ve cleaned as it took them about 1 1/2 hours to clean them and they would rather just replace them as it takes less time to install a new one. The problem is that they have been on back order since last year and the reason that his center has been cleaning them in the mean time.

Nox sensors are also now on back order so a heads up if you need one replaced.

Lastly his center has done about 1400 diesel emission recalls and he is down to four kits left and said that those soon will be on back order as well.

While in the the waiting room, I was joined by two other B class owners. One had a Pleasure Way and the other a Leisure way. Great conversation with them of course.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:41 AM   #8
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
If by "an easier way to remove the egr" you mean removing it from the bore to clean the valve there is a very easy way to accomplish this using two of the mounting screws in the actuator motor mounting holes and gently pressing it upwards out of the bore. There are brass threads in the actuator motor mounting ears meant for this purpose yet most mechanics don't know about it and waste time and risk damage trying to force the valve out of the bore by twisting, pounding and prying on it. Not necessary, it works on all V6 OM 642 engines, you do have to remove the actuator motor screws and be careful not to lose the little plastic cam that opens the valve, it sits loose in there, no big deal.
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:15 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
If by "an easier way to remove the egr" you mean removing it from the bore to clean the valve there is a very easy way to accomplish this using two of the mounting screws in the actuator motor mounting holes and gently pressing it upwards out of the bore. There are brass threads in the actuator motor mounting ears meant for this purpose yet most mechanics don't know about it and waste time and risk damage trying to force the valve out of the bore by twisting, pounding and prying on it. Not necessary, it works on all V6 OM 642 engines, you do have to remove the actuator motor screws and be careful not to lose the little plastic cam that opens the valve, it sits loose in there, no big deal.
If you could post some pictures of this process, it would be much appreciated! TIA
Old 06-24-2022, 10:33 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
AGM battery in our Interstate 2014.5. We replaced ours last year along with the one under the footwell. We put a set of Exide batteries in. You should be fine with any AGM brand battery, just remember not to let it go dead.

I've recently replaced the chassis battery in my 15' that is under the drivers footwell.

I didn't bother with the one under the hood since I was told that is an extra battery that MB puts in the equipment version meant for emergency vehicles etc and is not hooked up to anything on our AI's.

Am I misinformed about the 2nd battery?
Old 06-24-2022, 10:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rat View Post
If you could post some pictures of this process, it would be much appreciated! TIA
X2.

Thank you for the tip. I used the brute force method and it was a PITA to remove to clean.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:46 AM   #12
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rat View Post
We're on a trip now but will put something together when home late next week
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
I recently proactively replaced the battery in my 2017 GT EXT (2016 MB chassis). Mercedes did it for a bit over $300
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote