Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2022, 05:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 19
Land O Lakes , Florida
Ceramic Windshield Tint

Has anyone had on the new clear ceramic windshield tints installed that block IR along with UV?
They supposedly block the heat really well and given the drives we had in the heat of the last month I am considering giving it a try.
jpvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Be careful, many states consider windshield "tinting" illegal. Does it darken the glass?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:41 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Niceville , Destin
Windshield tint

Yes, I had it installed on the divers and passenger side as well, it works great no more hot arms and the dash warm not hot like it was before.
Vacayourway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:48 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Costa Mesa , California
When we purchased our Tesla Y 2 years ago, the car was a serious greenhouse. The massive glass roof and large windshield were the issue. We live in Orange County California where Teslas are everywhere, so it was easy to find installers. We talked with a very reputable installer who is booked out 2 months. We went with LLumar products on all the windows including the windshield and glass roof. The windshield is clear (still illegal in CA) but no one can see it is on. Very very light. It does change the color of objects slightly, when driving around, if you wear polarized sunglasses. The heat reduction is significant. And high UV protection. So happy that we did it on our new 2500 truck. Did all windows on both vehicles. Darker tint on windows where tinting is legal.
GRadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I had 3M ceramic and LOVED the heck out of it until someone did me the favor of putting a bullet into my windshield on the Gulf Freeway.

Feeling the sting of that financial loss, when I replaced the windshield, it remained naked. But prices seem to have abated in the past couple of years, and I may go back and re-do it eventually.

See this epic thread for details:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...nt-179465.html
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Huper Optik 70 on the last dozen or so vehicles. A significant difference.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:24 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
I was wondering whether this would be effective on an Airstream.

Has anyone thought about doing that? Or better yet, has actually done it?
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
I was wondering whether this would be effective on an Airstream.

Has anyone thought about doing that? Or better yet, has actually done it?
Can you be more specific?

-- If "on an Airstream" means on an Airstream Interstate, then yes, I speak as someone who has "actually done it" when I say it was wonderfully effective. Right up until my windshield was shot, and I lost both it and the ceramic investment that I had made in it.

-- If on some other kind of Airstream, well, we would need to know the specifics of the intended application.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:38 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Can you be more specific?

-- If "on an Airstream" means on an Airstream Interstate, then yes, I speak as someone who has "actually done it" when I say it was wonderfully effective. Right up until my windshield was shot, and I lost both it and the ceramic investment that I had made in it.

-- If on some other kind of Airstream, well, we would need to know the specifics of the intended application.
Ah, sorry. I forgot about the Airstream class B and C vehicles.

I was asking about applying this kind of heat reduction/UV reduction film to an aluminum Airstream trailer (23,25,27,30....).

I would really love to see dual paned windows with low-E films on the Airstream trailers.

Many owners of Airstream trailers custom make insulation for their windows for heat control in summer and winter (I.e. keep heat out in summer and retain it in winter).

I am wondering if the low-E ceramic films can supplement or replace the need for refectix (spelling?) film on a towable Airstream.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 02:16 PM   #10
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Thatís a great topic to discuss in one of the air forums outside the Class B forum in which you posted this query. Here, where most folks have either an Airstream Interstate or an Airstream Atlas, we wonít have much of value to offer regarding trailers, nor do we generally discuss them.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote