Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2022, 09:29 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1996 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
New Britain , Pennsylvania
Ceiling Remodel

Cross posting this here and in the interior remodel forum.

I'm pulling the luan panels out of my B190 and will be replacing them with what I thought would be luan panels. As I'm sitting thinking about it, it will be tricky (not impossible) to make the accurate cuts for the openings in the ceiling.

What I'm thinking about doing instead is cutting strips of luan on my table saw and fixing them to horizontal supports glued to the fiberglass cap. They would butt against each other to form a more or less continuous panel, however doing the installation this way would be stupid easy in terms of getting an accurate ceiling installed around the cutouts on the roof. I'd be putting headliner over the luan, so you wouldn't see the strips from inside the rig.

I'm wondering if anyone else has tried something like this? Or, can you think of a good reason why I should avoid doing it this way?

Thanks in advance
Kstills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 02:18 PM   #2
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Have you tried reaching out to Patrick of Colonial Airstream to chat about the remodel on your B190? That particular unit is a passion of his, and he has a beauty of a B190 about which he's done several videos.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 04:02 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

I’ve watched a bunch of his videos, but he’s kept a lot of the inside of his rig original. From what I’ve seen he didn’t gut his, he’s done some upgrades but not to the extent I’m going. The B190 forum has a lot less traffic, so it’s hard to get answers there. This forum has a lot of hands on folks so I’m hoping someone has done/has seen/is competent with doing this type of work and can provide their experience. I’ve even reached out to the guy at Humble Road, so we’ll see. I’m an intermediate woodworker, so absent definitive proof this wont work it will be my build. When my rig is done, I’ll have Patrick put it on his channel for sure.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Have you tried reaching out to Patrick of Colonial Airstream to chat about the remodel on your B190? That particular unit is a passion of his, and he has a beauty of a B190 about which he's done several videos.
Patrick sold us our AIGT in 2015. He didn't come across to us as one that got his hands dirty with the MODS but I could be wrong. However, I would still reach out to him for advice. Super nice guy and very knowledgeable. He can probably point you in the right direction or give you some good solid advice.
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 04:03 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

This will be how my ceiling is done, sort of.
Old 08-21-2022, 06:52 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

These are the ribs I'm talking about. I'll put 2" strips of wood across the width of the van, run painted underlayment luan in strips lengthwise, then stain some birch luan and run that over top of the underlayment to provide the dimensional look in that video. All the wood will be treated with either tung oil or polyurethane to waterproof it, and all the screw holes will have epoxy added and the screws will be coated to avoid having untreated wood that could be exposed to any moisture. The weight of the new ceiling will be somewhat heavier than the old because of the thicker wood supports and the extra insulation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0485.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	421305  
Old 08-21-2022, 09:19 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

My nailer construction, top down view of the ceiling construction and a side view. I'll almost 2 inches of room between the ribs and the ceiling panels, which I think I'll fill with polyiso (R14 for 2 inches vs R7 for wool).

The only screw holes I'll have to worry about will be from the bottom of the nailer into the ribs. I'll tack nail and glue the ceiling slats to each other and the nailer. I cut all the slats at 3" top and bottom, but I"m thinking it will work better if the bottom ones are 1-1.5" instead. Interior will be a cream and leather color scheme, so that's what the ceiling will end up being.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0488.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	421308   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0489.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	421309  

Name:	IMG_0490.jpg