Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2021, 01:00 PM   #221
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Perhaps. But some point, it becomes an issue of semantics. Whether they designed the tire in response to actual failures, or in response to perceived potential for failures, they still produced a tire designed to bear over three thousand pounds.

Which, research-wise, brings me to this next reference (PDF) stating the following (bold emphasis added by me):

"Tires with different size designations may not be interchangeable even if they have similar dimensions. For example, an LT-metric tire may not be a suitable replacement for a C-Type European Commercial Metric tire, even if the tires have similar section width, aspect ratio, and rim codes. Such tires typically have significantly different load carrying capacities. In other words: An LT225/75R16 is not the same as a 225/75R16C."

That statement was issued by the U.S. Tire Manufacturers Association, and it might point to why I'm encountering so much confusion and/or reluctance on tire sales websites as to whether my vehicle should have C-type tires mounted on it.

I am not aware of any tire being made to address failures on a specific application. All tires sold in the US for highway have to pass the appropriate DOT tests specified for that type tire.

IMO European or Asian "Commercial" tires would have to pass the same tests as LT type tires do. The various DOT tests refer to the loads & inflations in the various published "standards books with the loads being some percentage of the rated load and the inflations being the stated inflation for the subject tire.

The problems occur when people only look at part of the "Tire Designation" and forget that a P235/75R16 is not the same as an LT235/75R16 LRD which is not the same as a 235/75R16C 116LI.

The rule of thumb is Any replacement tire MUST be capable of supporting the SAME or GREATER load as the original.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:16 PM   #222
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Thank you for all your input, and please allow me to rephrase my original question with greater specificity:

If you personally owned my 2006 Dodge Sprinter 2500 running at 8,550 lbs which is the GVWR, *which* TPMS assembly of sensors and receiver would you personally choose for it, for retrofit purposes, because it came with neither?

Younger Sprinters (specifically, the NCV3 line) at least came with an OEM Mercedes Benz receiver installed but not necessarily sensors, if I understand other posters correctly (such as this one).

I did look at your blog, but you are talking about Class C units among other RV configurations (including Class A), and I don't know the first thing about how much a Class C weighs, or what tire configurations and other ancillary equipment are recommended for it (plus many but not all Cs have rear duals). I don't know whether that information is transferrably applicable to a van or if something else would be of greater functional advantage for a van.

So, for a van, would you choose the TT500 as you did in 2016 for your unit, or something else?

Additionally, maybe we are being neurotic, but we don't like the idea of screw-on sensors. In some of the areas where I travel and stealth-camp (e.g., urban cores), they might invite theft. Lifetime warranty doesn't count for a hill of beans if the external sensors start disappearing. Every RV-range and truck-range package that Tire Traker sells appears to involve screw-on sensors only (e.g., here), so that's an issue for me with that brand.

Thanks.

OK. As you know, if you read my blog, I have been evaluating the older external TireTraker with a TT500 monitor vs the internal TST 507 system. When you read the data you can see that BOTH systems provide essentially identical pressure readings. They Both have essentially the same level of pressure accuracy.
They BOTH report the same ambient temperature. The only difference, which is to be expected, is the running temperature of the external sensors reports a 10F to 30F cooler temperature, depending on ambient conditions, due to the cooling of outside air BUT the temperatures of the 6 tires with one system are consistent as a group and so is the 6 tires from the other system.

So functionally I would consider either acceptable.

Now there is a Cost difference The external Tire Traker is less expensive than the internal TST system Plus there is an installation cost for the internal system.

I Like the Lifetime warranty offered by TireTraker.

You have said you want to run an internal system so you will need to do your own research on other 4 tire internal systems.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:37 AM   #223
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post

You have said you want to run an internal system so you will need to do your own research on other 4 tire internal systems.
Yeah, I know, and I’m capable of doing research.

The thing I am NOT confident about is telling the difference between a good product and cheap crap from China, as I do that research. Given the costs involved, it would be really nice to get this purchase right the first time. Hence my continuing lines of inquiry.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:16 AM   #224
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Yeah, I know, and I’m capable of doing research.

The thing I am NOT confident about is telling the difference between a good product and cheap crap from China, as I do that research. Given the costs involved, it would be really nice to get this purchase right the first time. Hence my continuing lines of inquiry.
You can find out where/when the tire was manufactured by looking on the tire or checking the web of the mfg. Here is a Consumer Reports site that lists this data also.
https://www.consumerreports.org/tire...ur-tires-made/

Here is another good site to find out about the date code. https://www.tires-easy.com/blog/tire-dot-date-code/
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:24 AM   #225
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Yeah, I know, and I’m capable of doing research. .
Well, why not do the research...quietly.
Return & report your opinions.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-15-2021, 03:52 PM   #226
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I am leaning towards the external sensor because I've heard problems getting the internal one to seal against the oddly-shaped surface of the Alcoa rim. My hesitation about external is the extra inertial load at the end of the relatively-long steel valve stems that come out at an angle`.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:27 AM   #227
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Well, why not do the research...quietly.
Return & report your opinions.

Bob
🇺🇸
Or, why not continue to solicit forum feedback on a thread topic as the knowledge base expands via contributions from various sources?

This is my thread - not yours - and it’s a very important thread for T1N Interstate owners because it concerns a safety aspect associated with operating our aging vehicles. If you are not interested in the issue of tires in the context of T1N Interstates, there are plenty of other threads for you to choose from.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:31 AM   #228
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I am leaning towards the external sensor because I've heard problems getting the internal one to seal against the oddly-shaped surface of the Alcoa rim. My hesitation about external is the extra inertial load at the end of the relatively-long steel valve stems that come out at an angle`.
Now there is a piece of information I had not heard previously, and it’s important. I never thought of that (poor sealing) as a possibility that ought to be weighed.

The issue continues to be lack of critical mass in like vehicles that are operating these retrofit systems. I will continue to research this as soon as I can, after we get power, water, and most cellular services restored in greater Houston.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:02 AM   #229
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Again; you said you did not use TPMS, right? The symptoms you reported earlier sound like your tire lost air prior to the blowout, which is plausible as the cause. Your choice "not" to use the TPMS for what ever reason, seems to me could have given you warning you were loosing pressure- likely at the valve steam issue your on to now. Think you have the answer here?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 02-16-2021, 10:16 AM   #230
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post

I would think there should be no problem with most external sensors on brass stems (most are Nickle or Chrome plated. I do not know of any that are steel)
How long is "relatively long" I see no reason for needing anything longer than 1-1/2".
Old 02-16-2021, 10:26 AM   #231
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I would think there should be no problem with most external sensors on brass stems (most are Nickle or Chrome plated. I do not know of any that are steel)
How long is "relatively long" I see no reason for needing anything longer than 1-1/2".
Titus has a rear dual and he may have been referring to that. I am not familiar with that configuration but I do remember that other younger Interstate owners have mentioned stem issues on the rear wheels prior to this thread. Given that it’s not my vehicle, I cannot remember the exact issues.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:34 AM   #232
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Again; you said you did not use TPMS, right? The symptoms you reported earlier sound like your tire lost air prior to the blowout, which is plausible as the cause. Your choice "not" to use the TPMS for what ever reason, seems to me could have given you warning you were loosing pressure- likely at the valve steam issue your on to now. Think you have the answer here?
If you (here’s a radical idea) READ THIS THREAD, it will become apparent to you that picking a TPMS to retrofit to this particular vintage of Interstate is NOT a no-brainer. There are multiple considerations including warranty differences, lack of onboard OEM receiver, security of the installed hardware, and potential sensor fit issues to the rims. There are four considerations right there. There might be more.

And no, the cause of the failure was not determined definitively. It was speculated to be due to loss of pressure, but that was nowhere near proven. Without EVIDENCE of a cause of pressure loss, I acknowledge based on comments from knowledgeable posters here that it’s a strong possibility, but not proven.

Tire failures that occur suddenly are not assisted by TPMS. One guy on Class B Forum reported **THREE** blow-outs and stated words to the effect of, “The only benefit that my TPMS provided for me was to report right away WHICH tire had blown out.” His TPMS did not warn him of any imminent failure.

If I weren’t in the midst of a largely-unreported national emergency in greater Houston, I would take the time to link his comment for the benefit of those who inexplicably feel they should comment without parsing this thread’s contents.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #233
3 Rivet Member

Kildeer , Illinois
Might be time for the admin to close this thread. I think lots of good information has been shared, but new information is getting scarce..... As noted, everything is "speculation" since the OP cannot provide "evidence" of what caused the failure. TPMS is actually a no brainer but others can decide for themselves. Finally, since we are being precise, a "national emergency in Houston"? Anyway, everyone stay safe and take care.
Mikemdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 01:30 PM   #234
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Yes, Titus is a dual. I don't know if the outer dual (Alcoa) is same or different than yours. I don't know the 'why' of poor sealing but am guessing that the Alcoa rim starts to curve within the diameter of the internal sensor. Titus is in winter storage but I think the inner dual stem in about 1 1/2" long. The outer dual stem is probably 2+ " long and turns backwards ~135 degrees so one can get a tire gauge and air chuck on it. Having the weight of the sensor put force on the 135 degree elbow worries me less than the force of the stem-rim interface. I don't know how much centrifugal force they can stand with the external sensor at the end of the stem, and have been afraid to find out. A tradeoff between not knowing if the tire is losing pressure and versus potentially having the TPMS cause it to lose pressure. But maybe I am overthinking this - wouldn't be the first time!
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:11 AM   #235
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemdd View Post
Might be time for the admin to close this thread. I think lots of good information has been shared, but new information is getting scarce..... As noted, everything is "speculation" since the OP cannot provide "evidence" of what caused the failure. TPMS is actually a no brainer but others can decide for themselves. Finally, since we are being precise, a "national emergency in Houston"? Anyway, everyone stay safe and take care.
Agree; the OP is getting "testy" for sure...some folks just like to hear/see themselves talk things to death! By the way, here in Austin, we have bad weather also...just saying...baby, it's cold outside!
Old 02-17-2021, 11:54 AM   #236
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Gypsy. The OP is a precise, analytical, direct speaking individual who had a serious incident on a roadway.

Why are you still reading it. Give her a break or pick on your own spouse.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:05 PM   #237
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Agree; the OP is getting "testy" for sure...some folks just like to hear/see themselves talk things to death! By the way, here in Austin, we have bad weather also...just saying...baby, it's cold outside!
I personally enjoy not only this thread but Interblogs postings in general. If you are no longer interested or find it informative, then by all means don't read it.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:15 PM   #238
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Gypsy. The OP is a precise, analytical, direct speaking individual who had a serious incident on a roadway.

Why are you still reading it. Give her a break or pick on your own spouse.
No offense intended...sorry to get you all wound up. "pick on my spouse?" I respect there is still interest in this thread...
Old 02-17-2021, 12:16 PM   #239
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
I personally enjoy not only this thread but Interblogs postings in general. If you are no longer interested or find it informative, then by all means don't read it.
thanks for that...again, no offense intended....wow.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:22 PM   #240
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thx Gypsy, no offense intended on this end either. Just a reminder that you were picking on somebody on two different threads maybe for no other reason than you were tired of it, the thread. Maybe I should have sent you a private message rather than saying it on the thread, my apologies also.

Back to Tires.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote