Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2016, 06:11 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Postscript to this thread... this video is long, but at the 10.5-minute mark, you can see this vehicle's propane set-up. I WISH!! Something like this, and our propane shortage issues would be history. The narrator knows something of the regulations, however, as he notes that propane bottles must be integrated in the U.S., so technically this kind of set-up would not be allowed here.

I and the narrator were both surprised at the stated price, both expecting it to be far higher. For about $120K, apparently in Europe you can have incredible off-roading and boondocking capacity, a "Class B" analog that can be submerged in water to a depth of three feet, all stainless steel fittings, etc. etc.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:49 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I'm going to backfill a comment here because this is the original thread where we talked about potentially adding an Extend-A-Stay type device to the T1N Interstate's propane system in order to facilitate the connection of an external tank.

At the time of the thread's origination, nobody had a definite answer.

I thought (as I mentioned yesterday on another thread) that my husband and I might get this answered this week or next week, but given the length of my pre-departure punch-list for an extended boondocking trip to Canada, it might not happen in the short term.

Long term my interest in figuring this out has increased relative to what it was before. My husband and I jettisoned our propane fridge, so our propane needs were correspondingly reduced in that regard. However, in another respect, our needs were increased, because we also converted to lithium batteries, which cannot be charged in below-freezing conditions. I can envision future scenarios in which I might want to be cranking the furnace extra hard to keep those batteries warm.

I tried to figure this out yesterday evening, at least to an approximation, and I still can't say either way whether it would be possible. Any such extension device has to fit between the solenoid valve and the regulator. That entails effectively pushing the regulator aft. On most if not all of these T1N-installed Mantanks, there is a rock shield that will stand in the way of that. But the rock shield is the lesser of the worries - that could be cut, extended, reconfigured. The bigger challenge is the chassis structural support for the leaf spring, which drops down to receive the forward end of the bundle. Every time I turn around with the T1N, there's a leaf spring blocking the possibility of some clever mod, and this may prove to be be no exception. I can't yet tell whether there is sufficient clearance to extend the propane line assembly aft without bumping up against that thing. If there isn't room, then I think this idea is basically dead unless someone can design a different configuration of tee.

FWIW, at this point.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:43 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
And the verdict is (drumroll, please)...

Negatory. As it turns out, it's not the leaf spring seat that furnishes the primary interference - it's the exhaust pipe.

Now, I have constant problems with specs not being stated correctly on the internet. Amazon lists the Extend-A-Stay at 8 inches long, and that seems longer than how it appears in videos, such as a YouTube offering by "RV Project" from which I took this screengrab:

However, even if the device is considerably shorter than its Amazon description, look what happens in the case of the T1N Interstate (at least in our model, which is an RS):

Adding an Extend-A-Stay would push the propane regulator basically right on top of the exhaust pipe. And I'm not comfortable with that. Even if we could extend the rock shield to protect it, I'm afraid it would be too hot there.

Now, if we were to remove our LP generator and re-align the exhaust back into a straight system as it was when this Sprinter was born (Airstream turned it 90 degrees, not MB), that might be a different scenario. But for now, we scratch this possibility off our list.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:50 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
This thread falls into the "oldie but a goodie" category so it deserves this update.

We've contemplated what it would take to increase our onboard propane capacity, given that it is not practical to fit an extender on our existing system (as explained above). That limits us to a larger tank, or multiple tanks for which there really isn't any room.

I saw a 2006 Sprinter outfitted with a larger tank yesterday when I was in our local MB Sprinter shop (we have a Sprinter-only facility which, happily, is only about 1.5 miles from our house... what are the odds??). They are, within limits, accommodating of customers being on their shop floor (it potentially runs counter to their insurance policy, as it does with every garage).

This is what a larger tank looks like installed. This is a 2007 LTV on a lift because it appeared to be getting a brake job. Now, if I had been at liberty, I would have joyously dived beneath that rig to read the tank plate up close and personal, and to examine every other aspect of the LTV build, but I didn't want to push my luck with the staff. So this pic is taken from the rear wheel well, looking forward. The tank is mounted right behind the diesel tank, basically where our gray water tank is.

It's difficult to tell from this pic, but this propane tank is clearly the lowest-hanging item under the chassis. I don't think I would be comfortable with that. But this rig's owners certainly have more propane to work with.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:34 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Thousand Oaks , California
Interblog or the OP: I was reading this thread and it occurred to me that the propane quick connect near the propane fill valve which is meant for a bbq might work as a inlet port for an auxiliary propane tank and might even allow enough flow to run the generator. Connect a low pressure hose from a standard external tank (I think they all come with built-in regulators these days), turn off the main propane tank and run the generator with 5 gallons of propane at a time.

Anyone else thinks this makes sense and willing to give this a try?

Roger
Ryoungca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:41 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Carrying extra propane--2006 T1N Interstate Parkway

It will NOT work!!! External tanks do NOT have built in regulators. You would have to add a proper regulator to the external tank first. Then you have the SAFETY issue of a male quick-disconnect supplying propane without a check valve to cut off flow if it unplugs.
I’d say, in the strongest possible terms, DON’T DO IT!!! ‘‘Tis both dangerous and foolhardy.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:24 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Placing another third party reference in this thread just in case I need to refer back to it. Also a scraped photo just in case the source vanishes.

This is the first time I've seen any vanner install a propane tank outside of the chassis cavities. And the decision seems odd to me, because he appears to have an open void space right next to his install. Perhaps he didn't want to punch holes in his floor. He says, "The actual LPG tank is an inch or so below the ground clearance of the fuel tank, but the skid plate is a couple of inches lower than that. We'll see if clearance is an issue." At any rate, I would not choose this option.

https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/170338-post42.html

Old 09-25-2020, 01:55 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
2021 25' Globetrotter
2007 Interstate
Little Rock , Arkansas
On older T1N, do they have OPD

Does anyone know if the 06/07 AI has an OPD valve on the propane tank? I suspect it does, but my propane filler could not find anywhere on the tank where it was stated. He asked me—and I said I don't know, and he became very concerned and stopped the fill early (I think, he did not fully explain his actions to me).

I looked up OPD valves, and it looks like they were introduced about 1998. Horizontal tanks were required to have OPD after about 2001.
2021 25' Globetrotter FT, 2006/07 Interstate
2010 GMC 2500HD Sierra Crew 4x Diesel
duckdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:06 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I’ve had an 06 and now an 07, and I would hazard a guess that these do have overflow valves.

Whenever I have had the propane filled, it automatically shuts off, so there are overflow valves on the tank or on the hose the supplier has used.

Maggie
Old 09-25-2020, 03:19 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
2021 25' Globetrotter
2007 Interstate
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I’ve had an 06 and now an 07, and I would hazard a guess that these do have overflow valves.

Whenever I have had the propane filled, it automatically shuts off, so there are overflow valves on the tank or on the hose the supplier has used.

Maggie
That’s been my experience, too—Shuts off automatically went full. But I’ve only filled the tanks like three times, so I’m not very confident in my procedures. And each time I fill tanks it’s only taken a little over 3 gallons. But now that I look at the tank capacities, that’s a half a tank at least. My propane tank gauge doesn’t work, of course.

Thanks for the feedback!
2021 25' Globetrotter FT, 2006/07 Interstate
2010 GMC 2500HD Sierra Crew 4x Diesel
duckdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:21 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Bored dog for scale. These are the 5-pound and 11-pound Flame King propane tanks. I'm partial to the 5-pound for Interstate carrying purposes - it's tiny; I can find space for it. I need to get an adapter so that it can be used to power the Magma grill.

On my to-do list - a portable off-grid propane-powered washing station (shower plus dishes). Similar to Joolca's idea but Joolca is an option for those who are not as space-restricted as we are.

Old 02-19-2021, 05:37 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by glfprncs View Post
My husband has an 2006 Interstate Parkway model (T1N). He's a caddie on the Web.com golf tour, so stays in the caddie parking lot week to week. He's finding (well, we knew it would be an issue...) that the propane tank is just too small, particularly when it's really hot and he runs the generator, and he's having to go find propane more often than he'd like.

Has anyone done anything to carry extra propane for situations like this? Thoughts and suggestions welcome.
This thread continues here. After more than 4 years, we finally found a solution.