Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2016, 11:41 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Carbon Monoxide question

Last week, while camping during a cold snap, we closed ourselves up in our AI about 9:00 p.m. Because the temps dropped in to the 20's the furnace kicked on and off all night long. About 8:00 the next morning we were still shut up inside when the CO detector chirped a couple of times. We immediately opened the door and it didn't chirp again.

I assume that if it had been a dying battery issue that it would have kept chirping regardless of the air flow.

Are these vans so air tight that we should always crack a window?
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The only way CO from the furnace could get in is for the fire box or flue pipe to have a leak.

Did your macerator pump or fresh water tank freeze?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrere View Post
Last week, while camping during a cold snap, we closed ourselves up in our AI about 9:00 p.m. Because the temps dropped in to the 20's the furnace kicked on and off all night long. About 8:00 the next morning we were still shut up inside when the CO detector chirped a couple of times. We immediately opened the door and it didn't chirp again.

I assume that if it had been a dying battery issue that it would have kept chirping regardless of the air flow.

Are these vans so air tight that we should always crack a window?
Yes - if you are going to run the LP gas furnace all night then it would be smart to have a small vent cracked open. I leave the vent in the bath open all the time. But I don't think I have ever run the LP furnace all night. Most of my cold camping was with in a campground with electricity so I would use a small electric space heater to keep the van at about 50degF overnight. Sometimes when is wasn't too cold while camping without electric power I just went without heat overnight and fired up the LP furnace in the morning to warm up.

The Interstate Owners manual mentions the CO danger on page 2-10, see attached clip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	276745  
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote