Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2023, 01:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Camillus , New York
Can two 12V AGM batteries be replaced w/2 6V LifeLine Batteries

I have a 2015 Airstream Interstate 24 GT with 2 12V AGM batteries under the side seat/ottoman on the driver sides. I would like to replace them with two Lifeline GPL-4CT AGM batteries connected serially. They are slightly larger so i don't know if that would be an issue? Would the current battery charger for the 12V's work. I assume on of the 12V wire battery pairs wouldn't be needed any longer. Would I have to change the wire that attaches to the battery from the motorhomes connection. I'm thinking the 2 6V batteries would be enough to power the fridge, freezer, laptop, tv, cellular hub overnight?
BassettBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassettBMW View Post
I have a 2015 Airstream Interstate 24 GT with 2 12V AGM batteries under the side seat/ottoman on the driver sides. I would like to replace them with two Lifeline GPL-4CT AGM batteries connected serially. They are slightly larger so i don't know if that would be an issue? Would the current battery charger for the 12V's work. I assume on of the 12V wire battery pairs wouldn't be needed any longer. Would I have to change the wire that attaches to the battery from the motorhomes connection. I'm thinking the 2 6V batteries would be enough to power the fridge, freezer, laptop, tv, cellular hub overnight?
I believe that you're referring to the location under the van on a 2015 - correct? If so, I don't believe that they do. Tough to search on this forum but there are some threads on this subject.

Personally, I would move away from AGM and go to Lithium. At the end of the day you'll be happier and have better options.
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 07:31 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Noblesville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassettBMW View Post
2 six volt batteries in series does not necessarily mean more energy than 2 12 volt batteries in parallel.
vanderwielen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 05:45 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Yes, they can!

We have a 15 lounge and we replaced the stock 12v AGM batteries with two Fullriver (DC224-6) 6V that gave us 224 amp hours instead of the stock 180.

Our battery box is located inside behind the passenger side wheel wheel. The 6 v batteries were a bit bigger but did fit inside the box. However, to keep the posts from touching the top of the metal box and shorting out, we glued a thin piece of veneer to it.

We did this back in 2018 and have had no issues with them since. The
2 - 6V batteries wired in a series does provide 12v so there is no problem with charging from the magnum.

When it's time to replace our current ones, I plan on removing the battery box so that I can add larger 6 V batteries with increased amperage to fit within that footprint!

We also have a 1500w lithium power station to use if we have additional power needs overnight or while dry camping.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:35 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
I misstated the OEM batteries amp hours. It's 160 not 180. So within the original battery box foot print, we increased our total AH by almost 30% by installing 2 - 6V batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4356.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	429354  
Old 03-23-2023, 07:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Salem , New Hampshire
Yup, mid year on the 2015's as on ours Airstream decided to put the batteries underneath the van. Again, there are a few threads on this if you're successful searching where I believe that folks said that there isn't enough room but I could be wrong.
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v