Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2018, 08:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St auguatine , Florida
Can someone pls post the coach 24/7 number asap—emergency with my interstate

carpenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:44 PM   #2
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
855-817-1885.

Hopefully the right number. Courtesy of google.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona

Confirmed. Good luck!
Click image for larger version

Name:	26.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	321922
Old 09-08-2018, 08:59 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Thank you!
Old 09-08-2018, 09:00 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
855-817-1885.

Hopefully the right number. Courtesy of google.

Thank you!
Old 09-09-2018, 10:08 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida

I think u all deserve explanation. Had dinner at nearby campsite & left my dog Earl in the van. I also left the keys on the driver seat. I keep them there so that if I have an emergency, they are right where I need them. However, Earl likes to sit in that seat when I am gone. So she ( EarltheGirl like boy named Sue) sat on the key fob & locked the doors. It was late, started pouring & another camper did his best to break in with tools from his trade; he’s been successful on trailers but the Merc lock is very different. Meanwhile my phone is dying and the emergency number is also in the van! I call Danny the Locksmith in Cleveland Ga and an hour later he makes it out in now the middle of the night on windy roads in the rain! It takes him less than ten minutes! Many lessons learned the hard, expensive way! Thank you! [ATTACH]321974
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5759.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	321974  
Old 09-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What a pia, but glad it wasn’t more serious.

Maggie
Old 09-09-2018, 11:25 AM   #8
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Wow, that's aggravating! Please describe more details about how the locksmith entered the vehicle (without giving away any trade secrets!) and what happened when they opened the door. For instance, I've heard that when the door is opened, even by a locksmith, that the built-in alarm is activated so the lights flash and the horn honks.

We recently purchased an extra key with the fob and had it programmed for the van. Now I'm looking for ideas on how to secure it outside the van in a weather resistant compartment. If anyone has ideas please tell us how you handled the situation.

By the way, a new key fob ordered for your Mercedes, programmed to open the doors and start the vehicle will cost anywhere from $100 to $200. A mechanical key only may be as little as $25 but I'm told it won't start the vehicle.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
CARPENC - Wow, sorry to hear this and glad you & Earl are ok. You can run an extension wiring from console door lock switch to somewhere/anywhere hidden outside. It doesn't even need to be visible or easily reachable. Just accessible enough in case of emergency, even if you have to crawl under chassis.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Always carry a door-unlock key on your person. A keypad on the vehicle exterior is another insurance policy. Emergency phone contact list in breast pocket and another in trousers pocket inside of folded up cash.

Belts suspenders etc. etc..

All contacts in phone/computer/tablet/online site too, including road service. Even if you have to borrow a device, online backup is available world-wide 24/7. [if you remember your ID and PW!]

Redundancy redundancy redundancy redundancy . . . .

Glad you got in, and that Earl is OK!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Good thing about an AI is there are literally hundreds of unique places to hide an emergency door-unlock key that can't be located by potential car thieves, one is only limited by their imagination. This a good thread reminding me to do just that.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:26 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Wow, that's aggravating! Please describe more details about how the locksmith entered the vehicle (without giving away any trade secrets!) and what happened when they opened the door. For instance, I've heard that when the door is opened, even by a locksmith, that the built-in alarm is activated so the lights flash and the horn honks.

We recently purchased an extra key with the fob and had it programmed for the van. Now I'm looking for ideas on how to secure it outside the van in a weather resistant compartment. If anyone has ideas please tell us how you handled the situation.

By the way, a new key fob ordered for your Mercedes, programmed to open the doors and start the vehicle will cost anywhere from $100 to $200. A mechanical key only may be as little as $25 but I'm told it won't start the vehicle.
The locksmith used “balloons” to get through the top if the door, take the sunshade down and insert a long thin metal piece that unlocked the door—-driver side door. The small inflatables were fascinating, and no alarm went off. Thinking I will put a key in a water prtof baggie and tape it under the license plate.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
A mechanical key only may be as little as $25 but I'm told it won't start the vehicle.
That's when you switch to the ignition key hidden inside . . .

Old 09-10-2018, 08:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
That's when you switch to the ignition key hidden inside . . .

OTRA15 - That funny (Apologies, LUCIUS, just burst out laughing when I read OTRA15s response.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks.

In the old days when we had Ford vans mostly, they had an ignition key and a separate door key, which was rounder in shape, and would fit nicely in the levis's pocket along with the loose change. Never got locked out of any of those vans, as long as I was wearing levis or shorts. Bathing suit was a different matter, so I kept an extra door key in the suit's mini-pocket. No electronics like our FOBs now, so water immersion no issue. Also kept a magnetic case hidden under the van with just a door key. [redundancy redundancy redundancy . . . . ]

Kept It Simple, Stu . . . way back then!

Old 09-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Thanks.

In the old days when we had Ford vans mostly, they had an ignition key and a separate door key, which was rounder in shape, and would fit nicely in the levis's pocket along with the loose change. Never got locked out of any of those vans, as long as I was wearing levis or shorts. Bathing suit was a different matter, so I kept an extra door key in the suit's mini-pocket. No electronics like our FOBs now, so water immersion no issue. Also kept a magnetic case hidden under the van with just a door key. [redundancy redundancy redundancy . . . . ]

Kept It Simple, Stu . . . way back then!

[emoji3]
Old 09-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Quote:

Thank you. Going collect 3 so I have more options. My retirement mind doesn’t consider all worst case scenarios anymore so I need to be very prepared at all times!
Old 09-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
In the old days when we had Ford vans mostly, they had an ignition key and a separate door key, which was rounder in shape, and would fit nicely in the levis's pocket along with the loose change. :
OTRA15 - I had one of those vans too, Econoline E150 van conversion with tall roof. I still have the 4th/5th round emergency spare keys that never made it to person who bought from me. Came standard w/ 5.0L V8 that was used in Mustang GTs. Would fly up the hills at 90mph if I was brave enough to try coz it didn't have the handling skills of an AI Sprinter.