Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2023, 08:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
2022 Interstate 24GT
Ventura , California
Camping in AI 24 ft at Many Glaciers, Glacier Natl Park

We finally were able to snag a cancellation in Many Glaciers for this July. Competition for any sites in the park is fierce. I noticed that the site #N97 and most of the campground says size maximum of 20 ft for Trailer Unit or RV. When I look at the site it appears that they are restricting the size to accommodate for TV and trailer and don't understand why the size max would be the same for both as it states limit two vehicles. Has anyone stayed at Many Glaciers, especially the Interstate people and what was your experience with the sites? Appreciate any comments or suggestions on how to find out if this site will work. Thank you.
Gerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 09:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
What are the odds: we camped in #95, right next to #97, last year. If I understand correctly that you will have a single 24’ vehicle, then you will have no problem. (By the way, it is in a most attractive section of the campground.)

If you look at the photo they post of #95, which communicates better than the photo of #97, you will see a 15’ trailer plus the tow vehicle in the site, which is listed as “15’ RV”.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 09:50 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
2022 Interstate 24GT
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
What are the odds: we camped in #95, right next to #97, last year. If I understand correctly that you will have a single 24’ vehicle, then you will have no problem. (By the way, it is in a most attractive section of the campground.)

If you look at the photo they post of #95, which communicates better than the photo of #97, you will see a 15’ trailer plus the tow vehicle in the site, which is listed as “15’ RV”.
Wow Field & Stream that is a coincidence with all of the campgrounds around Glacier! I noticed on Camphotos.com site pictures that 97 looked like it had a long drive-in so I was curious why the restrictions. It must be to simplify the information on recreation.gov site. These campsites are some of the most difficult to get a reservation at during peak. I tried for days at 7am pacific to the second and have been shut out. Thanks so much for responding to my post!
Old 02-15-2023, 11:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerdog View Post
Wow Field & Stream that is a coincidence with all of the campgrounds around Glacier! I noticed on Camphotos.com site pictures that 97 looked like it had a long drive-in so I was curious why the restrictions. It must be to simplify the information on recreation.gov site. These campsites are some of the most difficult to get a reservation at during peak. I tried for days at 7am pacific to the second and have been shut out. Thanks so much for responding to my post!
I am from MT, and have been going to GNP especially, Many Glacier (Swift Currant campgrounds), for many, many years...that is up until 5 years ago when everything seemed to change almost overnight. Lines of people waiting for a campsite starting at 4-5am at the gate for the FCFS sites; reservations for the half of the campground that accepted reservations completely full when the "booking window" opens up at midnight; and the "hoards" of people who come up for the "day" for hiking, boating, or biking, parking all over the place....just not fun in mid June/July/early August anymore.

Apgar and several West Glacier campgrounds now require reservations also; but many folks are "gaming" the system with reservations for multiple days, just to get "into" the park to visit Going to the Sun road; but 25-30% or so campsites remain "empty" for a night or two till the system catches up, because folks "cancel" loosing only a nights deposit, after receiving their "coveted" pass to get into the park and drive the Sun Road. Wish there was a better way to handle reservations..

Don't mean to sound bitter, but I am on this topic...not just GNP with this problem...YNP and GTNP also have... Reservations open up in late Aug/September timeframe when folks are heading back to school. Back to your question; I don't think there is a "bad" site in Many Glacier if you can get a reservation...I have stayed at most all of the locations with my 25' previously and my 28' up until few years back. My favorite is GNP for sure...just feel bitter on how this all changed...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 10:30 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
2022 Interstate 24GT
Ventura , California
Thanks Gypsydad. it does seem daunting to go there now based on what I have read/seen with all the restrictions in place. What you said makes sense as the sites fill up in a matter of seconds each morning and one of the attractions is to avoid the vehicle passes. I too am trying to figure out how to get around the park now that I have a coveted reservation for Many Glaciers. I suspect I will not be able to get around with our 24 ft van much in the park. Do you know if there is transportation from Many Glaciers to St Mary Campground in the park and when the Red Bus Tour reservations usually start? Trying to figure out how we will be able to see the Going to the Sun Road when we are there. Any suggestions anyone? Thx
Old 02-16-2023, 11:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
I managed to snag a campsite in Yellowstone for June, so I then backed up and got a campsite before it in the Tetons, and then before that, in Dinosaur. Following Yellowstone, have been trying to get a Glacier site for mid-June, would rather not depend on a Rising Sun as a FCDS site; but those NR blocks of sites being held until four days prior means, if I'm in Yellowstone or the Tetons and don't have coverage, I won't be able to book one of them. A bit frustrating. Have a browser tab open to rec.gov, I'm constantly refreshing the Glacier camping page, hoping to get to book a site (Many Glacier is my first choice, but Apgar or Fish Creek are fine, and I'd even take a St Marys.... (if I understand, I don't think Sprague Creek is one to try to put a trailer into?)). Hoping Two Medicine or Avalanche open up at some point, would gladly take a spot there too.
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 11:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Gerdog: we are headed back to Glacier this year and just spoke with the Red Bus folks. They are not taking reservations yet, and suggested I call back early March. (855) 733-4522.

You will be able to drive around much of the park, but I strongly recommend the Red Bus for Going to the Sun road.
Old 02-16-2023, 11:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Thanks Gypsydad. it does seem daunting to go there now based on what I have read/seen with all the restrictions in place. What you said makes sense as the sites fill up in a matter of seconds each morning and one of the attractions is to avoid the vehicle passes. I too am trying to figure out how to get around the park now that I have a coveted reservation for Many Glaciers. I suspect I will not be able to get around with our 24 ft van much in the park. Do you know if there is transportation from Many Glaciers to St Mary Campground in the park and when the Red Bus Tour reservations usually start? Trying to figure out how we will be able to see the Going to the Sun Road when we are there. Any suggestions anyone? Thx
Getting around Glacier once you have your campsite pass from Many Glacier if you have the van, is not a big deal to get into the park at St Marys or drive around to West Glacier by lake McDonald area. Since you have the pass...its a bit of a drive but can be done for day tripping. - just advise you leave early morning from your campsite if you want to take your van anywhere. Sun Highway now has a 22' vehicle limit, so either the shuttle or Red Bus or perhaps look into renting a car...check with the lodge at St. Marys...

You can get the Red Bus tours in Many Glacier at the lodge or at the hotel next to the campground. See the schedules for the shuttle and Red Tour busses here:
https://www.glaciernationalparklodges.com/red-bus-tours

Many Glacier is about 12 miles drive back from the main highway/Babb turnoff (by the way, there is a "great" steakhouse at that intersection. That road back is in pretty bad shape as it goes thru the reservation and not well maintained, but it's a very pretty drive for sure. (watch for wildlife including cows going thru the reservation. We always see bear and moose back there on the road and in the campground. We typically hike all around the lake/lodge area...take our bikes from the campground to Many Glacier Lodge, but you can also just drive your van to their parking area and spend the day around there, even rent a canoe...there is a big deck on backside overlooking the lake with lounge chairs...very relaxing with a view you will never forget. The boat tour at the lodge is very cool too...you can take a lunch (purchase at the lodge store or bring your own) and. You take the first boat across the lake, walk to second boat 1/4mile on lake Josephine, get off and then hike to Lake Grinelle/Glacier and picnic--boat's come/go all day...again, watch for bears!
https://enjoyyourparks.com/glacier-n...ier-boat-tour/
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 02-16-2023, 12:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Gypsy dad: long-time follower of your posts and always appreciate your contribution s. We are thinking about visiting Two Medicine for the first time this September — do you have experience with that campground or that part of the park? Thanks
Old 02-16-2023, 02:22 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
2022 Interstate 24GT
Ventura , California
Leslie, I used Campsitephotos.com Campsite Assist feature to be alerted to an available site. You pay a few bucks but I have received 3-4 text/email notifications on cancellations within the month. The problem is even those go in 2-5 minutes so you have to act as soon as you get the alert. You may want to look in to this. Thanks GypsyDad that info is very helpful!
Old 02-16-2023, 02:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Leslie, I used Campsitephotos.com Campsite Assist feature to be alerted to an available site. You pay a few bucks but I have received 3-4 text/email notifications on cancellations within the month. The problem is even those go in 2-5 minutes so you have to act as soon as you get the alert. You may want to look in to this.
I've heard of similar before but never tried to use such... but ya know, given that I've got this entire trip laid out and booked except for Glacier, this might be a good place to experiment/ give it a try.... appreciate the suggestion...
WBCCI #1051
Old 02-17-2023, 08:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Leslie, I used Campsitephotos.com Campsite Assist feature to be alerted to an available site. You pay a few bucks but I have received 3-4 text/email notifications on cancellations within the month. The problem is even those go in 2-5 minutes so you have to act as soon as you get the alert. You may want to look in to this.

Follow up!!!

So, I went to the campsitephotos page, went to the Campsite Assist section, selected Glacier, picked a few campgrounds. Selected my dates and paid for the frequent updates.

I just got a text and email simultaneously about an availability in Many Glacier, I clicked their provided link that took me to the site, I already was logged into rec.gov, booked my nights. Whoo!!

Again, many thanks for the suggestion, I now have that booked for us!
WBCCI #1051
Old 02-17-2023, 10:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Gypsy dad: long-time follower of your posts and always appreciate your contribution s. We are thinking about visiting Two Medicine for the first time this September — do you have experience with that campground or that part of the park? Thanks
Two Medicine is FCFS sites...we have stayed there and when the wind is not blowing () its great campground. My uncle has a cabin close by so we sometimes will stop and visit with him when staying in the area and go into Two Medicine for the day; you can hike or canoe on the lake. East Glacier Lodge up the road is interesting to visit, but not much there. Couple state and private/costly campgrounds also in the area. State is pit toilet, but not expensive and you can use as a base if you can't get into Two Medicine campsites.

FYI- I have been trying to snag a week in June at Apgar, Fish Creek, St. Marys, Many Glacier, and one of our favs Hungry Horse...(Hungry Horse does have some FCFS sites, but it's a bit of a drive up there and usually they are full.) Good thing about MT is there are many places you can just pull off and camp in your rig. We will keep trying for GNP...my son and grandkids will join us from Great Falls...once we can secure a week. "life use to be so easy"...
Old 02-17-2023, 01:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Two Medicine is FCFS sites...we have stayed there and when the wind is not blowing () its great campground. My uncle has a cabin close by so we sometimes will stop and visit with him when staying in the area and go into Two Medicine for the day; you can hike or canoe on the lake. East Glacier Lodge up the road is interesting to visit, but not much there. Couple state and private/costly campgrounds also in the area. State is pit toilet, but not expensive and you can use as a base if you can't get into Two Medicine campsites.

FYI- I have been trying to snag a week in June at Apgar, Fish Creek, St. Marys, Many Glacier, and one of our favs Hungry Horse...(Hungry Horse does have some FCFS sites, but it's a bit of a drive up there and usually they are full.) Good thing about MT is there are many places you can just pull off and camp in your rig. We will keep trying for GNP...my son and grandkids will join us from Great Falls...once we can secure a week. "life use to be so easy"...
Thank you so much! Sounds like it’s worth a visit.

By the way, I completely agree with you about the relatively new difficulty in getting campsites in popular parks — this is very true in Colorado state parks as well. Doubling my frustration is the apparently increasing number of no-shows.

Thanks again……
Old 02-18-2023, 08:05 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Thank you so much! Sounds like it’s worth a visit.

By the way, I completely agree with you about the relatively new difficulty in getting campsites in popular parks — this is very true in Colorado state parks as well. Doubling my frustration is the apparently increasing number of no-shows.

Thanks again……
Yea, the "no shows" are a big problem now in NPS and State Parks also...call them "no see-em's"; they are a real pain in the A! Talk of "large deposit" ($50-75?) refunded when you show up for your camp site, or if you call ahead and cancel within 3 days. Sounds crazy to some, but maybe it would help curb the folks who don't have any intention of staying over night, from making reservations unless they are serious. IMHO...likely never going to happen, but we need to do something.
Old 02-18-2023, 08:19 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Yea, the "no shows" are a big problem now in NPS and State Parks also...call them "no see-em's"; they are a real pain in the A! Talk of "large deposit" ($50-75?) refunded when you show up for your camp site, or if you call ahead and cancel within 3 days. Sounds crazy to some, but maybe it would help curb the folks who don't have any intention of staying over night, from making reservations unless they are serious. IMHO...likely never going to happen, but we need to do something.
No shows have become a huge problem in California, and they are considering a new law for full forfeiture of the entire camping fee for no shows. Plus, prohibiting future reservations by repeat offenders!
Old 02-19-2023, 08:11 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
No shows have become a huge problem in California, and they are considering a new law for full forfeiture of the entire camping fee for no shows. Plus, prohibiting future reservations by repeat offenders!
I like that idea! Just like a hotel... Not sure how they can implement without someone checking the sites day after reservation start date? In some parks I have been to, they have a system where they check the empty sites early in the morning. They then re-sell/re-assign them to folks first come/first serve who have been patiently waiting. Not all parks are doing this. I have gotten a spot like this a couple times in CA but not all the parks (like Glacier) use this type method yet. I think a $$ charge of some kind is only fair...
Old 02-21-2023, 04:50 PM   #18
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
As a volunteer camp host in National Parks with three seasons of experience I have seen plenty of these one-night-reservation no-shows. One important thing to note about this is that recreation.gov gives very little back when campers cancel a one-night slot, and whatever they claim they'll give back, instead they keep as a "cancellation fee." Thus, it's simply not worth the effort to cancel a reservation. If they fix that, things should improve. If people cancel their reservation by 3pm the day before, or even the day of, a campsite reservation, recreation.gov should be required to give back everything except the initial reservation fee. If they incentivize the behavior they claim to want, it'll be the behavior they get. Right now, they're all spitting into the wind, for all the good it'll do them when they ask people to cancel reservations to free up sites for others.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 09:39 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
I agree with everything Gypsydad has said about Glacier! Its a beautiful place but traffic is bad and every location is full in summer. I lived in Great Falls and was up there often because I ran all the Border Crossing Stations including Chief Mountain inside Glacier NP. They are staffed with CBP officers from the Piegan Border Station. Personally, I would seek campsites outside GNP and drive in daily to visit sites. Weekends are packed. Weekdays are somewhat better in summer. If you plan to cross the border, dont take firewood or fruit and make sure pets have their shot cards.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:50 PM   #20
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Oh yeah, right outside St Mary entrance to the park is a Blackfeet Nation-operated campground called Chewing Black Bones - it's never full, and it looks good from the road. Maybe check it out.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote