Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2020, 08:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Lafayette , Louisiana
bypass engine oil filtration

Any suggestions on systems/instillation, etc. 3.0 MB diesel. 2013 AS ext 24 feet
drgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Amsoil makes a good oil bypass filter system. https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...?code=BMK21-EA
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard,Lake Palestine , Texas
Frantz

Frantz Bypass oil filter
Use one in my Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
Keeps oil squeaky clean !
https://www.frantzfilters.com
Old 01-06-2020, 06:35 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
some items to think about...
The suppliers of these filters sell them on an extended oil interval, not cleaner oil. They only filter about 10% of the oil. 90% just cycles through the main filter.
Oil in an engine flows primarily within protected passages within the engine block. With the bypass filter installed, oil is routed through external hoses and lines and is subject to leakage and failure of clamps, hoses, fittings and the actual filter.
If you really want to know what the value of these filters is, go to a Cat or Cummins dealer and pick up a couple of Oil Sample kits to see what shape the oil is in. You will be surprised what happens to oil in these situations as intervals are stretched out to save a few bucks on oil.
There is no substitute for good engine maintenance and these bypass filters really are not part of the program.
The above is from a retired, old, Cat Guy!
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
a 18 wheeler went 400,000 miles using the Amsoil bypass oil filter system and the engine was taken apart and it was found very little wear on most parts.

I use Amsoil myself on lawnmower and could see the difference in power with Amsoil and regular oil.

there will always be some who disagree but I have gone though with Amsoil for over 15 years. It is up to you.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:57 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgene View Post
Any suggestions on systems/instillation, etc. 3.0 MB diesel. 2013 AS ext 24 feet
The other posters gave some options. If you’re interested in keeping small iron and steel particles out of circulation then just place a 1/2 inch rare earth magnet on the outside of your engine oil drain plug. You’ll be amazed at the sludge that ends up stuck to the drain plug. You can also put that magnet on the inside of the drain plug, depending on its diameter. The magnet will pick up more junk on the inside and not attract road debris.
Alumineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
http://www.shopfiltermag.com/

Been using these for many years on my small engines an vehicles. Cut open one old filter and you will be a believer.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
The big unknown in the 400,000 mile story is 'what would the engine have looked like without the bypass filter?'

I am a bit skeptical about MB increasing oil change intervals from 10k to 15k and now 20k miles. I suspect it was done based upon acceptable failure levels being noted first at 10k and then at 15k miles. I doubt there have been any engine changes that allow the change interval to be extended. I'd be tempted to use a 10k (or less) oil change interval instead of a bypass filter - but to each his own.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:38 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard,Lake Palestine , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by white laker View Post
The suppliers of these filters sell them on an extended oil interval, not cleaner oil. They only filter about 10% of the oil. 90% just cycles through the main filter.
Oil in an engine flows primarily within protected passages within the engine block. With the bypass filter installed, oil is routed through external hoses and lines and is subject to leakage and failure of clamps, hoses, fittings and the actual filter.
If you really want to know what the value of these filters is, go to a Cat or Cummins dealer and pick up a couple of Oil Sample kits to see what shape the oil is in. You will be surprised what happens to oil in these situations as intervals are stretched out to save a few bucks on oil.
There is no substitute for good engine maintenance and these bypass filters really are not part of the program.
The above is from a retired, old, Cat Guy!
All true.
Except I change oil every 5000 miles. Oil seems clean.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:00 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
I have been running an Amsoil bypass setup on my vehicles since 2005. Currently there is one on my 12 F250 Diesel. I conduct oil analysis every year on it. I'm averaging changing the oil every three years. Saves me a ton as I have a deeper sump than factory so it has a lot of oil. Plus it is cleaner than just a normal filter. We placed this on a friend's truck without changing the oil, ran it for thirty minutes and then checked his oil. Looked way cleaner. I'm a big fan of the system. By the way I am a Marine Engineering Officer in the Army and hold a valid coast guard license. I'm well versed in engines, electrical, etc.
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
The big unknown in the 400,000 mile story is 'what would the engine have looked like without the bypass filter?'

I am a bit skeptical about MB increasing oil change intervals from 10k to 15k and now 20k miles. I suspect it was done based upon acceptable failure levels being noted first at 10k and then at 15k miles. I doubt there have been any engine changes that allow the change interval to be extended. I'd be tempted to use a 10k (or less) oil change interval instead of a bypass filter - but to each his own.
with the bypass oil filter system, you change oil filter regularly but the bypass filter at different interval. maybe primepower can give you more accurate info.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:56 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
I actually don't change the filters or oil until the oil analysis says so. The great thing about doing it this way is not only I save money but I also see exactly what's going on in my oil and can possibly fix an issue before it is a major problem. I also have the extra fuel water separator from dieselsite on my truck. I do quite a bit of things to over maintenance the vehicle but I'm in it for the Long haul.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
This is inaccurate. Bypass filters operate by filtering oil on a "partial-flow" basis. They draw approximately 10 percent of the oil pump's capacity at any one time and trap the extremely small, wear-causing contaminants that full-flow filters can't remove. Bypass filters have a high pressure differential, causing the oil to flow through them very slowly and allowing for the removal of smaller contaminants. It is called bypass filtration because the oil flows from the bypass filter back to the sump and bypasses the engine. This continual process eventually cleans all the oil in the system, not just 10%.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:37 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
Correct the Amsoil oil bypass system takes about 30 minutes I believe to filter all of the oil in the engine.

I do want to add on my extended service intervals I do not get to drive my truck as often as I would like so if you put a lot of mileage on your truck I firmly believe you will have extended service intervals but probably not to the extent that I have of three years.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
What is the surprise you are referring to? I have used independent oil analysis for years and have never had a "surprise". What I did get was useful information on the condition of my oil at the time of analysis and when it was time to change it, which was usually a very significant higher number of miles and period of time from the vehicle manufacturers recommended change intervals.

Unlike yesteryears conventional dino oils, today's high quality synthetic oils and their additive packages take a very long time to break down, but they do get contaminates in them just the same. A very good filtering system will filter these out and a bypass filter will filter much smaller particles, (read cleaner oil here) allowing the oil to keep doing its job for a long time.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:49 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
I agree and also the Caterpillar and Cummins engines that we use on our vessels in the Army all come with bypass filters and we also conduct oil analysis on them.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:17 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
Here is my latest independent report. Completed last August on two year old old. Instead of doing another analysis I'm just going to change it this August. The last report was a "0" in the range.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Report 7 Aug 2019_Page_1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	348.1 KB
ID:	358871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Report 7 Aug 2019_Page_2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	358872  

Old 01-07-2020, 04:29 PM   #18
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
I am not sure why more manufacturers don't just make spin on bypass filters to replace the factory filter. I use a Fleetguard LF9027 bypass filter on my 7.3, just spin it on. No kit or system to install or worry about a hose leaking.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Typically a bypass filter is much finer and consequently it has a much lower flow than regular filters, making them unsuitable for use in place of a regular filter. I would suspect engine damage would occur at some point due to the restricted flow.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:22 AM   #20
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
Typically a bypass filter is much finer and consequently it has a much lower flow than regular filters, making them unsuitable for use in place of a regular filter. I would suspect engine damage would occur at some point due to the restricted flow.
What I am referring to is a spin on filter that has both full flow filtration and bypass filtration, just like an externally mounted bypass setup but all contained in one throwaway unit. This is the one I use on my Powerstroke.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fleetguard.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	358898