Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Bubble burst

Well...I guess I have officially joined the ranks of the RVers... First problem occurred today. Getting ready for a trip in a couple of weeks. Going in the shop to have the batt-temp probe installed on Tuesday. Today I was cleaning things up, went to exercise the generator (do it once a month)...it started fine. Ran well for a few minutes, when the load from the Magnum inverter/charger kicked in the genset started stumbling and finally stopped.
The remote panel flashed "Service Required" code...and a series of numbers on the remote panel (that are not in the troubleshooting section of the genset manual). Fortunately, I was ALREADY setup to go into the shop. Now I have another item for the techs to handle. Better now than half way across Texas. I remember Jim Lovell talking about having their "mission-glitch" during the early stages of Apollo 13's flight.....maybe I don't want to think about that storyline.
toskeysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
Well...I guess I have officially joined the ranks of the RVers... First problem occurred today. Getting ready for a trip in a couple of weeks. Going in the shop to have the batt-temp probe installed on Tuesday. Today I was cleaning things up, went to exercise the generator (do it once a month)...it started fine. Ran well for a few minutes, when the load from the Magnum inverter/charger kicked in the genset started stumbling and finally stopped.
The remote panel flashed "Service Required" code...and a series of numbers on the remote panel (that are not in the troubleshooting section of the genset manual). Fortunately, I was ALREADY setup to go into the shop. Now I have another item for the techs to handle. Better now than half way across Texas. I remember Jim Lovell talking about having their "mission-glitch" during the early stages of Apollo 13's flight.....maybe I don't want to think about that storyline.
My generator gave up the ghost not long ago. Bad voltage regulator. It would start just fine, and then immediately die as soon as it started getting power to the spark plug from the alternator rather than the house batteries. Luckily it was still under warranty, so it was a zero-cost repair. But, Airstream couldn't fix it; I had to take it to a Cummins/Onan dealer.