Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2023, 04:02 PM   #1
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Brand new Ventline Fan in wet bath leaking like mad

Hi there. We had an Airstream dealer replace the Ventline mushroom fan in the wet bath last August and thought our troubles with that fan were over. Nope, not a chance. Today we were parked and then driving in heavy rain, and that stupid fan leaked like crazy into the wet bath the whole time. It acts like there's no gasket in place when we pull down on the vent to close it.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, is my guess a good one? We're trying to locate a mobile RV mechanic at one of our upcoming stops, hoping we can get someone up there to put an eyeball and maybe a gasket on the doggone thing.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 05:07 PM   #2
r3z
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
Our stock gasket fell out and got stuck in the fan blades pretty early.

I was able to get along side our 25GT FBT with a large A frame ladder and reach both fans, remove the Phillips screws and replace the gaskets with this :

M-D Building Products 1033 M-D 0 All Profile Weather-Strip Tape, 10 Ft L X 19/32 in W 5/16 in T, Epdm Rubber, Black https://a.co/d/bH5dhLG

It may also be good practice to put some Sikaflex on the screws at the end to prevent any minor leaks from the screws.
r3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 01:18 AM   #3

Great suggestion, thanks!

Old 01-30-2023, 09:01 AM   #4
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Same here - the OEM gasket is junk and dries out before you even get the fan unboxed.

I started putting new gasket material in the fan before installing years ago - this is not a new problem. Stock weatherstripping from any hardware store can be found to fit. Peel and stick and be done with it. The lid removes with two screws from the outside.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 10:48 AM   #5

Sounds great. We’re stopping in Houston a few days due to the ice storm that’s now going to blast across the center of the state, and that will give us time to get this resolved. [emoji106]

Old 01-31-2023, 03:25 PM   #6

Ok, the mobile RV Tech took a look at the leaking bathroom fan. First, he removed the collar from the fan inside the bathroom. To our great surprise, he and I were able to see daylight between the fan body and the van roof. Daylight!

So, he climbed up on a ladder and confirmed the visible daylight was caused by a complete lack of sealant on the roof around the fan body. Zero sealant. My 5-rivet Airstream dealer’s service team did a great job removing the old sealant when they pulled out the failed fan, but then completely forgot to add sealant after installing the new one.

The fix was to apply what he had in his truck, Dicor self-leveling sealant, all around the fan body. Voila, no more daylight coming in around the fan. Then he applied a dab of silicone to each of the two screws that hold the lid on the fan. The last bit of the fix was to bill me for his visit. [emoji57]

I called my servicing dealer to let them know they had made this ridiculous mistake. They apologized profusely and asked me to send photos, which I did. Here’s hoping they don’t make that mistake again.

I’m also attaching a photo of the mobile tech’s business card in case you ever find yourself in Houston needing service like we did.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0277.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	591.9 KB
ID:	427652Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0280.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	615.2 KB
ID:	427653Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0281.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	480.2 KB
ID:	427654Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5975.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	629.0 KB
ID:	427655

Old 01-31-2023, 05:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Ok, the mobile RV Tech took a look at the leaking bathroom fan. First, he removed the collar from the fan inside the bathroom. To our great surprise, he and I were able to see daylight between the fan body and the van roof. Daylight!

So, he climbed up on a ladder and confirmed the visible daylight was caused by a complete lack of sealant on the roof around the fan body. Zero sealant. My 5-rivet Airstream dealer’s service team did a great job removing the old sealant when they pulled out the failed fan, but then completely forgot to add sealant after installing the new one.

The fix was to apply what he had in his truck, Dicor self-leveling sealant, all around the fan body. Voila, no more daylight coming in around the fan. Then he applied a dab of silicone to each of the two screws that hold the lid on the fan. The last bit of the fix was to bill me for his visit. [emoji57]

I called my servicing dealer to let them know they had made this ridiculous mistake. They apologized profusely and asked me to send photos, which I did. Here’s hoping they don’t make that mistake again.

I’m also attaching a photo of the mobile tech’s business card in case you ever find yourself in Houston needing service like we did.
Rocinante, that's just plain laziness, no pride in their work or overworked. No reason for them overlooking something so basic and important. I'm glad that you got it all sorted out. This is one reason that I now do all my work on my AI. If I miss it - my fault. The only way that I would go to an Airstream dealer is if there is no way that I can get to a part or just way over my pay grade.
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:06 PM   #8

Yep. If I'd had a ladder on board, I could have saved the Mobile RV Tech fee as well. I would have seen the missing caulk, hit a nearby store for some of the right kind, and put it on myself. However, we have no place to put a ladder. That's the trouble with trouble on the road - some tools just don't fit into the van.

Old 01-31-2023, 07:08 PM   #9
r3z
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
Sorry to hear about sub-par work, especially at the dealership. Did they offer to pay for the mobile tech ?

I was worried about checking out the roof but after having a leak from one of our vent pipes, I had to urgently replace it before an upcoming storm. It was easier than expected and did not end up having to go up as I was able to do all repairs from the side.
r3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Yep. If I'd had a ladder on board.
If you’re interested in getting one without drilling any holes into the doors and a very easy install, get yourself one of these.

We’ve had for a couple of years now with no issues and thanks to Wachuko for being the trailblazer!

I’m constantly using it to keep the solar panels cleaned and a bunch of other maintenance. Well worth the cost.

https://www.inlad.com/product/rear-d...s=ladder-racks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C7D52345-FF19-45B8-8235-087D724D45F7.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	397.2 KB
ID:	427659  
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Hope they (dealer) paid for your repair bill.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
When do you plan on blasting through? We are sitting here in Sealy waiting it out.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:47 PM   #13

At this point the dealer hasn't offered anything but apologies, we'll see. It's not like I'm holding the sword of Damocles over them. They'll either do something to show their concern at having done a lousy job that day, or they won't.

Meanwhile, we're hoping to get moving west again on Thursday when the winter / ice warnings are lifted. Depends, really, on whether things actually melt or stay icy.

Old 02-01-2023, 12:04 AM   #14

Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:

Attachment 427652Attachment 427653Attachment 427654Attachment 427655
I am amazed how they could make such a blunder but glad now you had a fix. They shouldn't just apologize but you should also ask them to pay the bill for the person who fixed it for you.
laraalbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:41 PM   #15

We have suggested they refund us the labor and parts (e.g. caulk) they charged for work they did not do. We shall see.

BTW, I will not name and shame this dealer. We all have bad days, and their mechanic clearly had one that day. We're just hoping they come to the table with a little more than, "oopsie, poopsie, sorry about that!"

Old 02-01-2023, 08:05 PM   #16
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
I hope your dealer makes things right for I'm sure it wasn't done intentionally. If you're still in Houston, a meal at a Pappadeaux or Pappasito's Restaurant will brighten your day.
Old 02-02-2023, 11:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ware View Post
I hope your dealer makes things right for I'm sure it wasn't done intentionally. If you're still in Houston, a meal at a Pappadeaux or Pappasito's Restaurant will brighten your day.

Thanks! We did in fact visit Papasitos and had a fantastic late lunch. A little pricey vs most Mexican-style restaurants, but it was also really good. Highly recommended. [emoji106][emoji106]

Today we’re headed West again, stopping in San Antonio. The TX hill country west of SA is in for another sub-freezing night though the great thaw after the ice storm has definitely begun. Tomorrow should be bright sunshine, which will also help, though it will make for a cold Thursday night.

Old 02-03-2023, 01:45 PM   #18

The dealer in question agreed that it was fair and reasonable to refund an hour of labor and the cost of the caulk that was not used, and will mail out a check in the next few days. So, while this particular 5-rivet dealer made a service error, they admitted their mistake, apologized, and are providing fair and reasonable compensation. We’re happy, and we’d use them again in the future…though from now on we will much more carefully check the work anyone does on our RV, regardless of reputation.

Old 02-03-2023, 02:06 PM   #19
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Good news and the weather is getting better too! Anchors Aweigh.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:04 PM   #20
Engineer

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
SENATOBIA , Mississippi
Replaced the blade several times and the cover once. Found small leak in sealant around fan on the roof. Shaft keeps getting loose and spinning inside the fan blade. Original plastic blade disintegrated and cover was cracking with weather stripping gone. New cover is black instead of white/clear so maybe fan and cover will last longer.