Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2022, 01:37 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
Itasca , Illinois
Brand new Interstate 24X

Hello!

We will be picking up our new Interstate 24X on Monday Signed docs last night.

What are everyone's thoughts on:
  1. Expanding the batteries from 2 x 100a/h to 8 x 100a/h?
  2. Snorkel?
  3. Winch?
  4. Increasing the fuel capacity?
  5. Converting from black water tank to cassette toilet?
Thanks!!!!!
emike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 08:27 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
Duck Key , Florida
For our use case all of that off-road kit is just added weight, except perhaps more battery power. If I ever need a snorkel or a winch I'll probably also need a med evac.

We looked a the Revel and the Storyteller. They are not for us. If they were we'd likely have chosen a 144 platform instead of a 170EXT. Not having a cassette toilet was a big seller for us with the Airstream.

Congratulations on the new van. Sounds like you have some off-road adventures planned.
XPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:25 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
Itasca , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPat View Post
For our use case all of that off-road kit is just added weight, except perhaps more battery power. If I ever need a snorkel or a winch I'll probably also need a med evac.

We looked a the Revel and the Storyteller. They are not for us. If they were we'd likely have chosen a 144 platform instead of a 170EXT. Not having a cassette toilet was a big seller for us with the Airstream.

Congratulations on the new van. Sounds like you have some off-road adventures planned.

Thanks!

Not as much interested in off road as I am in remote locations, which then requires some remote "roads". The Revel didn't work for us. 2 adults and 2 dogs (70lbs an 85lbs). The 24 footer hopefully will work, and my wife really liked the floor plan of the 24X.

Just some examples of where I'd like to go and why I/we choose the 24X

Flaming Gorge and Ursal Beach:
Old 05-19-2022, 01:40 PM   #4

Jonestown , Texas
Congrats on your 24X! I think the 24X is perfect as speced but have yet to get mine / live with it. Speaking of which when did you order yours? I ordered mine late Oct 2021 and have yet to hear anything. The dealer can't provide anything other than estimated June/ July time frame. No production date / VIN or anything. Am I missing anything here?
Cheers!
Steve
Austin
mccasksl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 06:32 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
Itasca , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccasksl View Post
Congrats on your 24X! I think the 24X is perfect as speced but have yet to get mine / live with it. Speaking of which when did you order yours? I ordered mine late Oct 2021 and have yet to hear anything. The dealer can't provide anything other than estimated June/ July time frame. No production date / VIN or anything. Am I missing anything here?
Cheers!
Steve
Austin

Well. I went to Airstream of Chicago just to compare 19 vs 24 floor plans, and they had a 24X there. Some guy ordered it 12 months ago, and hadn't picked it up yet. Got a call the next day that he backed out, and I bought it right then.

It wasn't until I saw it on the lot that I thought that this might work for us. Looking forward to our first trip to Colorado for the fall colors, and travel some of the CO BDR.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:29 PM   #6
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Brand new Interstate 24X

Congrats on your 24X!

I’ve enjoyed many years of off road driving and overlanding in a few different rigs.

I would not forge an airstream-configured sprinter cargo van more than 1-2 feet in water. Even at that depth you’ll run the risk of destroying things like the $2500 on-board generator not to mention needing to swap out gear oil etc. from your axles. Air box is already high up in the engine bay so snorkel is just not necessary, even for dust - just blow out your filter often if you’re in super dusty terrain.

If you are somewhere that requires a winch for self-recovery I probably wouldn’t be there with a long wheelbase sprinter in the first place. I had a winch on a very well built and lifted Land Rover discovery and only ever used it a handful of times when I was doing some silly things getting into places I shouldn’t have been in.

Beach / sand maybe but just carry a kinetic recovery rope and a couple treads or some old carpet strips and a shovel and have a second vehicle to give you a bump if you get bogged down.

You have a great onboard LP generator on the 24X to supply tons of power if you need it to run the air conditioner or quickly charge up the batteries. I would wait on throwing $10,000 of lithium energy storage at the van and see what your camping style dictates. This is coming from someone who has 600 amp hours of lithium and 1000w of solar providing full time residential power in my trailer I run about 225ah per day of energy not using the air conditioner. Even a 1000ah goes fast when using the AC unit. I’d start with your genset and see how much it annoys you when running.

I spent some time in the 24 X here in Denver when it first came out… It’s a really well put together high-quality van. I was impressed with the build quality. It’s not really an off road rig as you’ve noted though… Given the breakover angles, equipment configuration and relatively mild lift from the factory you’ll want to stay on less dramatic paths.

Not to say you can’t get into remote places you’ll just be a little more limited as the terrain becomes undulating.

Enjoy that van and send some pictures of amazing places you go. I’ve enjoyed starting to teach my 14-year-old daughter the ways of overlanding and exploration of special places with our airstream tow vehicle :-) so I dig having a dual purpose vehicle - on or off road. Yours has some more comforts off-road though as I need to ditch the trailer in favor of the roof top tent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3173.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	881.3 KB
ID:	416295   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3192.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	387.3 KB
ID:	416298  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2437.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	564.4 KB
ID:	416299  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:31 PM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Unless you increase the size of the water tanks, you will be limited on how long you can be "away" without doing this or that. Since the water tanks are pretty tough to expand they are a set limit.

If you go to 800AH of batteries, they need to go somewhere. There is limited space in any B-van and the X is no exception. 400AH (adding another 200AH) takes up one bin at the back. Going to 800AH likely takes up all of them and space under the front table.

Any other options you add increase the weight of the vehicle. All B-vans are weight challenged. The X is no exception. With the limited payload, adding this or that means not having something else along. Without knowing exactly what you plan to do, it is impossible to work out that tradeoff. For extended "away from it all" type use, max payload for "stuff" is what you would want.

So far over various roads ( full transit of the Alaska Highway) and conditions (muddy fields here and there) the X has done pretty well. With 400 AH of battery and driving every day out to driving every third day, power has not been an issue. At this point the generator has never been fired up.

Winch wise, to make it work properly you will need to rebuild the front of the van. It's set up to "crush" for pedestrian impact. To get a winch to work properly, you need to weld in a bunch of support. If you don't the winch will simply pull out of the van under heavy use ( yes there *are* videos ....).

Snorkel sounds cool. The gotcha is that once the snorkel became useful the generator and heater would be *way* under water. Neither one is rated for that sort of stuff. You would move on down the road. When you got there, replacing the generator and heater would be on the list. The battery box is down there as well. How well the batteries do with full immersion is an unknown. My bet is you would be replacing them as well.

Fun !!!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:54 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
Itasca , Illinois
Thanks wulfratt and uncle_bob!

After looking it over, specially the undercarriage, everything is exposed. Batteries, propane tank, tanks with "heaters". So yeah, 12" tof water is the max. No snorkel for me. However I am going to look into armor / skid plates.

I will definitely get some MAXTRAX or equivalent. Won't get a winch unless I find I need it. Thinking about a spare tire too (but then I'd also need the Owl Vans ladder/tire carrier).

Yes, the problem with the batteries is where to put more. I don't know yet how long the generator will last with the 9.8 gals of LPG. But you're all right ... I'll likely run out of water, etc., anyway. When I'm out on my own, no problem. But in campgrounds they often restrict generator usage, and many/most state park and national park camp grounds don't have hookups. Again, using it will tell me. But 200AH is a little light IMHO. Good to hear your experience with 400AH.

I guess my biggest concern or upgrade want-to-have is more fuel. I don't know if the S&B replacement tank will fit without doing some measurements. And the 28gal tank that fits where the spare tire goes ... well, that's where the LPG tank is.

I'll definitely post pictures!!!! Looking forward to all the trips.

Again, thanks!
Old 05-20-2022, 12:20 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The target use case for these vans is a "drive every day / every couple of days". They are not targeted at a "weeks parked off grid" sort of profile. Again, not specific to any one van. They all hit limits one way of the other.

Do take a very close look at the weight limits on the van. Once you have water in the tanks and passengers here or there, you have used up a lot of the payload. Adding this or that can easily take you over the limits.

One interesting sign noted as we trucked down the road:

"Legal Limit: 85% of maximum axle load". This as we crossed into Alaska.

If you knock 15% off of the axle loads, you just lost a *big* chunk of that payload number ......

The MaxTrax boards are fine. The question is: where do you put six of them? You have a dually so that's about what you would need in a difficult situation.....If you really get stuck, that would go up to twelve ... yikes !!!!

Ok, now you have used all 4, 6, 12 of them to get out of the deep sticky mud. They are caked with mud top / bottom / sides. Where do they store now?

Bottom line is still that these are not "big" RV's. There's only just so much that is going to fit. Leaving the blankets behind to bring along the second tow rope probably is not the best way to do things ( I would rank a tow rope ahead of the traction boards ...).

If you *do* get a spare tire: There is no jack on the vehicle. Study up on jacking up the rear of a dually to change this or that tire. Having had one rear flat already, I've been through the process. It's not a trivial undertaking ....

Bob
Old 05-20-2022, 01:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
There is a lot of talk/news about impending diesel shortages. (My local Chevron station stopped selling diesel yesterday). Given that, I would be inclined to go for a larger tank so as not to get stranded if rationing becomes significant. Also gives you the ability to fuel up at top tier fuel stations and have their higher quality fuel get you further ie: traveling to Alaska.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 02:24 PM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
There is a lot of talk/news about impending diesel shortages. (My local Chevron station stopped selling diesel yesterday). Given that, I would be inclined to go for a larger tank so as not to get stranded if rationing becomes significant. Also gives you the ability to fuel up at top tier fuel stations and have their higher quality fuel get you further ie: traveling to Alaska.
Hi

Having just made the drive to Alaska in the X. It's got plenty of range with the stock tank to skip stations and still not be gasping for fuel. That with 3,000 pounds of teardrop in tow and not slowing down much at all.

No sign of any diesel shortages up here. If anything the prices are better here than "back home".

Given the way stuff is packed here and there under the van ( wiring, gizmos, pipes, hoses, air suspension ....), I would be very concerned about this or that extended range tank "fitting" on the actual van you have.

Bob
Old 05-21-2022, 10:18 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Here and There , Pacific Northwest
A 24X with some pics which may be of interest is listed here: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...99-000.232626/
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:11 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

While there is some debate about all the numbers, they are what they are. The load ratings on the rear doors are quite "light". The roof is a "nothing up there" rating. Indeed a van is a high profile vehicle, weight high may create multiple issues ....

Bob
Old 05-21-2022, 05:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Having just made the drive to Alaska in the X. It's got plenty of range with the stock tank to skip stations and still not be gasping for fuel. That with 3,000 pounds of teardrop in tow and not slowing down much at all.

No sign of any diesel shortages up here. If anything the prices are better here than "back home".

Given the way stuff is packed here and there under the van ( wiring, gizmos, pipes, hoses, air suspension ....), I would be very concerned about this or that extended range tank "fitting" on the actual van you have.

Bob
Not surprised you didn’t experience diesel shortages driving to Alaska. The shortages are reported to be a Mid-Atlantic regional issue.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:14 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
Itasca , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
A 24X with some pics which may be of interest is listed here: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...99-000.232626/

Wow! I almost bought this one. Love the extras, but decided to buy local (and new). This is a good price!
Old 05-23-2022, 08:11 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Not surprised you didn’t experience diesel shortages driving to Alaska. The shortages are reported to be a Mid-Atlantic regional issue.
Hi

.... the previous post suggested that the added fuel tank would be needed for an Alaska trip ....

Bob
Old 05-24-2022, 05:58 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24X
Itasca , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

.... the previous post suggested that the added fuel tank would be needed for an Alaska trip ....

Bob

I didn't mention Alaska in my post lol. However, we are planning Alaska for 2024(?). Route 66 for 2023. Pacific Coast Hwy (spring) and Newfoundland, Labrador (late summer) for 2025.

I intend to use our trips this year to decide what changes (if any) I need before the longer trips.

Would love to here more about your Alaska trip!!!

emike
Old 05-25-2022, 10:15 PM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by emike View Post
I didn't mention Alaska in my post lol. However, we are planning Alaska for 2024(?). Route 66 for 2023. Pacific Coast Hwy (spring) and Newfoundland, Labrador (late summer) for 2025.

I intend to use our trips this year to decide what changes (if any) I need before the longer trips.

Would love to here more about your Alaska trip!!!

emike
Hi

My post was immediately after this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
Which does mention Alaska.

Bob